RV.Net Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Goodyear Endurance long term review.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Goodyear Endurance long term review.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
LarryJM

NoVa

View Profile

Posted: 09/05/19 04:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

Not to be too critical, but if I only got about 25,000 miles out of my tires I don't think I'd buy more of the same. Especially if I had one that developed a flat spot, one slightly out of round, and one starting to crack.

Would you be happy with tires like that on your car? I certainly wouldn't.

IMO, a very mileading post showing almost a total lack of understanding in trying to compare ST type tires to those typically used on cars/POVs. As noted the tread depth is much less (about 50%) of that of the typical car/POV type tire. IMO the flat spot and cracking might be due to other factors not related to ST tire quality/durability.

Larry

2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 09/05/19 06:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LarryJM wrote:

fj12ryder wrote:

Not to be too critical, but if I only got about 25,000 miles out of my tires I don't think I'd buy more of the same. Especially if I had one that developed a flat spot, one slightly out of round, and one starting to crack.

IMO, a very mileading post showing almost a total lack of understanding in trying to compare ST type tires to those typically used on cars/POVs. As noted the tread depth is much less (about 50%) of that of the typical car/POV type tire. IMO the flat spot and cracking might be due to other factors not related to ST tire quality/durability.

Larry
The point I was trying to make that why settle for ST tires with shorter lifeapan and issues they seem to have, when you can put LT tires on there and, basically, no longer have to worry. Why settle for substandard tires when you don't have to. You wouldn't settle for them on your car, why put up with them on your trailer. ST tires have no real benefits, and you put up with a shorter lifespan and quality issues.

Thanks, but no thanks.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Crabbypatty

Long Island, New York

View Profile

Posted: 09/05/19 06:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Soo. Whats missing is. Are the tires sitting out in the sun uncovered? Are they always at pressure? DO you use it with highway miles or local? Are you over weight??

I have had every good luck with Good Years. I abused them by airing down to 20# and driving over sand dunes. Baking them in the hot sun. Airing back up to 65 # then driving home. Ive taken them from Maine to Florida on I 95 etc. I find posts like this misleading as the poster doesn't explain their care and use. At the end of the season my tires are covered and during the season washed and armoralled... I just think alot of this is user errors..

John, Lisa & Tara">">">
2015 F250 4x4 6.2L 6 spd 3.73s, CC Short Bed, Pullrite Slide 2700, 648 Wts Solar, 4 T-125s, 2000 Watt Xantrax Inverter, Trimetric 2030 Meter, LED Lights, Hawkings Smart Repeater, Wilson Extreme Cellular Repeater, Beer, Ribs, Smoker

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 09/05/19 07:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Well folks we have it. GY ENDURANCE at 2.5 years was not long enough time to be considered as a good tire. BUT NOW at 2 years 7 months its officially a “WINNER”

Noting official about one owners good or bad experience about any tire.
However what we have been telling you its years and miles of service that determines any tires service record. Now some one has reported good miles of service for a ST tire.
JMO .... I would bet in the next couple of years when more Endurance owner tires time out there will be far fewer issues reported like the Marathons.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

CampingN.C.

North Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 09/05/19 07:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

"Flat spot" Why is that? UH maybe a brake sticks in one spot???

"seems slightly out of round" Why is that? Have you jacked it up to see if it actually is?

So 25-30k per set, where are the failures?

Maybe "flat spot" wasn't the best choice of words. There's a spot roughly the size of my hand where the tread is worn more than the rest of the tire that caught my attention.
Out of round....Yes, I had the tire off the ground a little and it "grabbed" the concrete just a little in one spot when I spun it, nothing major.

I guess this is a hot topic here lately, I don't get on here much anymore. I just felt like I've probably got more miles on mine than most so I thought I'd share my experience with them as they are still new in the market.

Cracks could be from not covering, it doesn't sit for very long at a time so I don't fool with covers.

* This post was edited 09/05/19 08:06pm by CampingN.C. *

2018 Ram 3500 DRW CCLB Aisin 4.10 4x4

2018 Jayco Talon 413T
B&W Companion

CampingN.C.

North Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 09/05/19 08:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Terryallan wrote:

I would be concerned about the slight cracking. With that many miles on them, they have not been sitting long enough to dry rot, and they are only 3 years old. Should not be cracking.

I agree, but it is hardly noticeable at this point. I didn't see it until I had them off today and in the sun. If I took a picture of the tire, you wouldn't see it.

LarryJM

NoVa

View Profile

Posted: 09/05/19 08:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

LarryJM wrote:

fj12ryder wrote:

Larry
The point I was trying to make that why settle for ST tires with shorter lifeapan and issues they seem to have, when you can put LT tires on there and, basically, no longer have to worry. Why settle for substandard tires when you don't have to. You wouldn't settle for them on your car, why put up with them on your trailer. ST tires have no real benefits, and you put up with a shorter lifespan and quality issues.

Thanks, but no thanks.

Again you don't seem to understand that I would wagger that a VERY, VERY large percentage (probably 75% or greater) of all TT use 14in tires where LTs are simply not available or even exist. Couple that with a lot of factory axle spacing again even makes moving up to an LT tire which most are 16in is again not a trivial mod and I've not even addressed the width increases for LTs that might cause interference issues with things like wheel well trim or internal clearances.

As far as putting up with shorter lifespan and quality issues, in the 40 years of TT ownership and using GY STs since the mid 90's except for one set of Kumho 857s I have only experienced tread separation and actual tire failures with the Kumho 857s and have never gotten less than 5 to 7 years use out of the STs I have used.

While I might only be a data point of one, but that data point says all your worries is without any real foundation and not based on real world verifiable facts.

Larry

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 09/05/19 08:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LarryJM wrote:

Again you don't seem to understand that I would wagger that a VERY, VERY large percentage (probably 75% or greater) of all TT use 14in tires where LTs are simply not available or even exist. Couple that with a lot of factory axle spacing again even makes moving up to an LT tire which most are 16in is again not a trivial mod and I've not even addressed the width increases for LTs that might cause interference issues with things like wheel well trim or internal clearances.

As far as putting up with shorter lifespan and quality issues, in the 40 years of TT ownership and using GY STs since the mid 90's except for one set of Kumho 857s I have only experienced tread separation and actual tire failures with the Kumho 857s and have never gotten less than 5 to 7 years use out of the STs I have used.

While I might only be a data point of one, but that data point says all your worries is without any real foundation and not based on real world verifiable facts.

Larry
What you don't understand is that we are talking about a specific tire: 255/85/16, which is easily found in LT sizes. I'm talking about an ST tire that can be replace easily with an LT tire, so why would you put up with an inferior tire? We're not talking generalities here, we're talking about a specific tire.

Your data point may be valid, but the OP has "real world verifiable facts" that say he's only going to get about 25,000 miles out of a set of ST tires, that have issues. And he could switch to LT tires and expect to get probably twice that mileage out of them.

Hie "real world verifiable facts" say that he has an out-of-round tire, sidewall cracks that may, or may not, be a problem, and a flat spot on the tread. These are real, and a person shouldn't have to put up with this type of sub-standard tire, ST or LT.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/19 10:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CampingN.C. wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

"Flat spot" Why is that? UH maybe a brake sticks in one spot???

"seems slightly out of round" Why is that? Have you jacked it up to see if it actually is?

So 25-30k per set, where are the failures?

Maybe "flat spot" wasn't the best choice of words. There's a spot roughly the size of my hand where the tread is worn more than the rest of the tire that caught my attention.
Out of round....Yes, I had the tire off the ground a little and it "grabbed" the concrete just a little in one spot when I spun it, nothing major.

I guess this is a hot topic here lately, I don't get on here much anymore. I just felt like I've probably got more miles on mine than most so I thought I'd share my experience with them as they are still new in the market.

Cracks could be from not covering, it doesn't sit for very long at a time so I don't fool with covers.

I appreciate the post as it's just another good report for a QUALITY GY product. Plain and simple some on here have a HardOn anything GY related.

I have yet to hear about a non road hazard problem with a single ENDURANCE tire.

Many manufacturers are installing them.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/19 10:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tires are NOT perfectly round! What is acceptable?

"Out of round....Yes, I had the tire off the ground a little and it "grabbed" the concrete just a little in one spot when I spun it, nothing major."

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Goodyear Endurance long term review.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS