|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing with Disabilities and Ge...

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing with Disabilities and General Health Issues

> looking for quick access bathroom advice

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Swampman597

West Central Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/05/19 10:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My DW and I made a wonderful 7 month trip in 2014 from Key West to NW Washington state. Unfortunately, when we returned she was diagnosed with cancer and has gone through more than I could endure at the Moffit Cancer center since then. The good news is she's actually getting better and stronger so we're talking about trying local (FL only) trips and see.

Our truck and 5er are in great shape however she needs pretty quick access to a toilet, usually without much warning. Apologies if TMI.

Since pulling over to access the bathroom in the 5er isn't always guaranteed at a moments notice, we're considering getting a Class A (gas, 30' - 34') which would provide instant access.

For those of you who have faced unique concerns like these, is getting a Class A a viable option? Or, are there other solutions folks have found that worked? We've considered a low-profile porta potty in the back (crew cab) but that might require her climbing over the seat if I can't pull over. I suggested we put in a 2-way video & audio so she could ride in the 5er but that wasn't received very well. Too many comments about how easy it is for a trailer to get stuck on a railroad crossing. :-)

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Mike

2014 Chevy 2500 Duramax, short bed, 4WD
2004 Keystone Laredo 27RL
Escapees member

bgum

South Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 09/05/19 11:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good idea switch to a small class A. Just don't hit the brakes when she is trying to walk.

Johno02

Lexington, TN USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/05/19 11:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Same type problem, just less severe cause. Works fine, but just be cautious while anyone is standing, and loudly annnounce turns, or any other unexpected coach movement.

Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)
2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and a grouchy, old, tiny dog

Johno02

Lexington, TN USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/05/19 11:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just one thing elso. If you pull off the side of the road for the driver, of course use flashers and get will clear of the traffic lane. AND, watch out for well intended law officers. I was just coming out of the bathroom, and a law officer tapped on DWs side window. Turns out she need the bathroom more than I did. He was just checking to see if we needed assistance. Told he we did not need assistance, but she was going to need clean clothes.

Swampman597

West Central Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/05/19 11:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good thoughts, thanks.

Anyone know where I can just get a Star Trek transporter device to transport her to the 5er and back?

the bear II

Torrance CA.

View Profile

Posted: 09/05/19 11:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a similar issue and have stopped travelling until we can come up with a better solution than the 5th wheel.

The choices we are considering are:
Class B Van type (easy to get in and out of)
Class A toy hauler (DW uses a mobility scooter or wheelchair)
A High Top Van and bumper pull toy hauler (Equip the van with a porti-potti to use while on the road).

reluyog

Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/07/19 08:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bought a Thetford portable toilet for my girlfriend, and we were able to use it between the seats of my Kenworth successfully. Luckily it's an old truck with a narrow cab, and she didn't have room to fall over. At this point she's had Multiple Sclerosis for about 40 years and uses a permanent catheter (superpubic), and we no longer need to use the Thetford. If you really like your 5th, you might be able to find a truck that would make using a portable toilet easier. Good luck.

Damian
1983 KW W900, 3406B Cat, RTO15, 355's
1995 Carriage by Carriage triple axle 22K

ItsyRV

Desert SW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/07/19 08:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Where does she stand on the issue?

1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

Scottiemom

South Dakota/Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/19 02:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think the Class A idea is the best.

Dale

Dale Pace
Wife to Terry (Teacher's Pet)
2006 Tiffin Phaeton 40'(Phaeton Place)
2014 Ford Flex
2004 R-Vision Trail-lite 213 (MinnieMee)
Fulltiming since 2005

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/
Where are we?

Horsedoc

Dixie --- N. Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/19 03:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bless you Mike, health is the reason we bought a Class A rather than a 5th wheel. Quick and easy access to toilet. We are now at the point of a wheelchair lift on the 3911 Newmar. It gives me room to get around her and help put her in bed and take her out, in and out of shower with relative ease. Same with toilet area. We are able to close a door and folding door for privacy, but sometimes one hsa to do what had to be done in order to get the mission accomplished.
Keep fighting the beast and never give up.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing with Disabilities and General Health Issues

> looking for quick access bathroom advice
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing with Disabilities and Ge...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS