RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: fresh water tank overflow syphoning tank dry

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> fresh water tank overflow syphoning tank dry

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
Goostoff

Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 09/05/19 10:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Let me start by stating that my overflow in a tube sticking out the bottom of the underbelly of the trailer. I have always just filled my tank untill water starts to flow out of the tube. It would always drain off the little bit that got in before I could pull the hose. For some odd reason this year when i do this the water will sit there and keep running out and will syphon the tank nearly dry before it stops running. Anyone have any idea what is going on. I'm thinking about installing a valve on the end but I fear that I would forget to open it and make even more problems

1993 Chevy C3500
2005 Cedar Creek 34RLTS

EV2

South Dakota/Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/05/19 10:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It can only siphon to the level of the opening inside of the tank. It sounds as though the tube is no longer at the top of the tank, but is now at the bottom.

shoprma

Fort. Collins, CO

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/19 03:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

asdfghjkloingtbhfrgev

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/19 04:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have the same issue and I have valves on the ends of my vent and overflow pipes.
Yes you must remember to open valves.
Just make opening valves part of your setup routine

2019 Duramax w/hips,2012 Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,RV safepower,17" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

DutchmenSport

Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/06/19 07:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Normally, isn't the overflow pipe also the vent pipe? If you close off the vent pipe with a valve, wouldn't that cause a vacuum in the tank and then nothing would pump out with the on-board pump.

Most tanks have a drain valve and an over-flow/vent. The end of the over-flow/vent is usually placed higher than the top of the tank, and installed in such a way that the direction is always upward, never down. Down could cause a vacuum in the tank.

Even if your tank is siphoning, there has to be a secondary opening somewhere to prevent the tank from vacuuming up, unless when you disconnect the water hose and the air is coming from there. Now, if you fill is gravity fill, then it does have the secondary opening to allow siphoning to occur.

So, I guess what I'm asking, are you sure that tube UNDER the trailer is not the drain valve and the vent is somewhere else? I've never heard of having the vent tube 'below' the object it's venting, only above it.

drsteve

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/19 07:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DutchmenSport wrote:

Normally, isn't the overflow pipe also the vent pipe? If you close off the vent pipe with a valve, wouldn't that cause a vacuum in the tank and then nothing would pump out with the on-board pump.

Most tanks have a drain valve and an over-flow/vent. The end of the over-flow/vent is usually placed higher than the top of the tank, and installed in such a way that the direction is always upward, never down. Down could cause a vacuum in the tank.

Even if your tank is siphoning, there has to be a secondary opening somewhere to prevent the tank from vacuuming up, unless when you disconnect the water hose and the air is coming from there. Now, if you fill is gravity fill, then it does have the secondary opening to allow siphoning to occur.

So, I guess what I'm asking, are you sure that tube UNDER the trailer is not the drain valve and the vent is somewhere else? I've never heard of having the vent tube 'below' the object it's venting, only above it.

What he said.

2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Bobbo

Wherever I park

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/06/19 07:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Goostoff wrote:

Let me start by stating that my overflow in a tube sticking out the bottom of the underbelly of the trailer.

I have never seen an overflow (actually vent) tube anywhere except right beside the gravity fill port. If you have a fancy trailer with levers to flip rather than a gravity fill port, I have no idea.

Bobbo, Linda and the furry kid (45 pound rescue)
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Hondavalk

Toledo

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/06/19 07:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

drsteve wrote:

DutchmenSport wrote:

What he said.

What they said

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/06/19 08:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do you have a gravity fill where you just stick in a garden hose? Does it have a vent next to it? Are you sure that the pipe expelling water is a vent? Is the trailer sitting level? Do you have a means of pressure filling the tank with a garden hose attached?

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/06/19 08:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DutchmenSport wrote:

Tens of thousands of RVs were/are produced with a pipe attached to the top corner of the water tank and then run out thru the bottom. No, they don't work, it is just a cheap way to get them out the door.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> fresh water tank overflow syphoning tank dry
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS