RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: fresh water tank overflow syphoning tank dry

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> fresh water tank overflow syphoning tank dry

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
maillemaker

office

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/06/19 09:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My RV has a vent integral with the fill neck. The air is expelled from a little hole right next to the big hole for the garden hose. Inside the RV there is a small clear plastic hose that runs from the top of the tank to the vent hole.

My only problem is mold grows in that tube.

Steve

1990 Winnebago Warrior. "She may not look like much but she's got it where it counts!"

camperdave

northern, California

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/19 09:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Only way I could see the vent line (that used to vent correctly) becoming a siphon is if the vent hose got pushed further into the tank further than it used to be.

Any chance you can physically get to and look at the fill/drain/vent lines on the tank?

2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/06/19 11:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

maillemaker wrote:

My RV has a vent integral with the fill neck. The air is expelled from a little hole right next to the big hole for the garden hose. Inside the RV there is a small clear plastic hose that runs from the top of the tank to the vent hole.

My only problem is mold grows in that tube.

Steve

It might not be your only problem, if you would be able to see inside the fill hose, you might not like what is in there. I had a clear fill hose on a trailer years ago that I replaced several times because of mold.

Those vents that are not inside a hatch door will collect rain water, wash water, dust and just about anything. My opinion is that they should have never been certified for a potable water system.

maillemaker

office

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/06/19 01:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

It might not be your only problem, if you would be able to see inside the fill hose, you might not like what is in there. I had a clear fill hose on a trailer years ago that I replaced several times because of mold.

Those vents that are not inside a hatch door will collect rain water, wash water, dust and just about anything. My opinion is that they should have never been certified for a potable water system.

My vent is inside the hatch door.

I'm sure the fill neck gets yucky, too, but it's black rubber so you can't see it. I suspect that it dries out well enough since it's so big in diameter. It's the little vent tube that stays damp.

The tank itself is clean (it's translucent so you can see it).

I don't worry about it though - we don't drink or cook with the onboard water. Just brush teeth. I sanitized the water tank once 10 years ago but have never done it since. I drain the entire system after ever trip.

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/19 02:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My set up does not gravity fill. You can fill via a pressurized water hose or via a bucket using the on board pump. Filling is not a problem. I have a 80 gallon fresh tank,filling via gravity would be a PIA.
My overflow and vent tube both exit beneath the fresh tank.If you overfill the fresh tank a siphon will/can start. Once started the siphon can dump a lot of water on the ground.
iIhave resolved this issue by installing valves on my drain and siphon lines

2019 Duramax w/hips,2012 Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,RV safepower,17" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/06/19 06:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lantley wrote:

My set up does not gravity fill. You can fill via a pressurized water hose or via a bucket using the on board pump. Filling is not a problem. I have a 80 gallon fresh tank,filling via gravity would be a PIA.
My overflow and vent tube both exit beneath the fresh tank.If you overfill the fresh tank a siphon will/can start. Once started the siphon can dump a lot of water on the ground.

We need to quit calling a spill a siphon. The vent hoses are attached at the top of the tank and go down towards the road. If the trailer is tilted, water can spill out. If you round a curve and the water sloshes to the vent side, it will spill out. A siphon requires that the hose extend down into the tank, but that is not how they are made.

Adding valves to vents is both a miserable way to deal with a water system, and major damage can happen if one ever forgets to open them.

The proper fix for this cheap factory shortcut is to route the vent hoses up and out well above water level.

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/19 04:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

Lantley wrote:

We need to quit calling a spill a siphon. The vent hoses are attached at the top of the tank and go down towards the road. If the trailer is tilted, water can spill out. If you round a curve and the water sloshes to the vent side, it will spill out. A siphon requires that the hose extend down into the tank, but that is not how they are made.

Adding valves to vents is both a miserable way to deal with a water system, and major damage can happen if one ever forgets to open them.

The proper fix for this cheap factory shortcut is to route the vent hoses up and out well above water level.

It's a siphon because once the water starts to flow it does not stop.
It's not a simple matter of the water spilling out.
I I overfill my tank enough to get water flowing out of the vent /overflow lines a siphon will start and continue long after I have stopped water flow into the tank.
I agree if the lines were run above the tank a siphon would not start, however for many of us the lines come out of the underbelly and siphoning is possible.

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/08/19 06:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have been thru this too many times before. It took some effort, but I convinced a manufacturer that the stupid design allows water to spill out, and they then changed to venting above water level. The reason that things never change is that too many have no idea how things work. Water runs down hill, it does not jump up to the top of the tank to find a hose.

STBRetired

I-80 and I-55

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/08/19 07:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is no way the vents/overflows (I have 2) on my fresh water tank could ever siphon water from the tank. They are attached to fittings on the top of the tank and do not have any hose that extends into the tank. They might drip a bit on acceleration, braking, and turns. At most, I would say I lose a quart or 2 of water. Never enough to actually be noticed when looking at the tank.

1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/19 09:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

I have been thru this too many times before. The reason that things never change is that too many have no idea how things work.

Is it up to the buyer to understand how to correctly pipe a fresh tank?
Do I need to submit my own drawings at time of purchase?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> fresh water tank overflow syphoning tank dry
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS