|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Traveling with glass

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
the e-man

Virginia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/06/19 08:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi all,

Many of the kitchen supplies we use at home come in glass containers. Think salsa, spaghetti sauce, and wine. I have found some substitutes we use for camping like spaghetti sauce in a can. But some things I haven’t been able to find in anything but glass.

Do you bring any glass items in your RV/camper? If so, how do you ensure it doesn’t break while on the road? For example, do you have a special wine bottle storage container?

Thanks.

2018 Grand Design Transcend 28MKS
2010 Ram 2500
Travel Trail Sail - Info on Travel Planning, RV Camping, Outdoor Living

Ductape

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/19 08:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We carry the same foods in the MH as we use at home. Pack items tightly in spaces so they can’t move. Especially fragile items pack interspersed with softer items or towels, cardboard items etc. You can use plastic bins in the fridge or pantry to contain items. Taller items best stored laying down.

49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

Jebby14

Windsor Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/19 08:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

when you buy wine ask for the plastic mesh sleeves that go over the bottle. save them. they work great on all kinds of glass

If it moves and it shouldn't..... duct tape
if it doesn't move and it should.....WD40
if all else fails .....BFH

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

I just carry them as-is and pack things reasonably carefully. Never had a glass container break while on the road, and I've been over some pretty rough roads. I have had plastic plates break due to falling out of a high cupboard.

I also would think twice before carrying fine wine glasses or other extremely fragile wares in an RV--or at least make sure to pack them very well. Soy sauce bottles are not in that category.

Redcatcher70

Beebe, AR

View Profile

Think, put glass items in a plastic bin, separate with dish towels and put in the lowest storage cabinet or on the floor. In years of travel we have never broke a jar or bottle. When you reach your destination, you can store items where they are handy. JMHO.....

Dave & Pat
2008 Hi-Lo 19T
2004 F250, XLT Crew Cab, V10, finally, enough power!
"No kids, no pets, made it to retirement"

ZINGERLITE

Union Lake

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/19 10:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RV shelves are cheaply built. Id be willing to wager on the shelf breaking before the pickle jar shatters.

DutchmenSport

Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/06/19 10:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We travel with non-breakable stuff, but we do have a few glass items; a couple nice wine glasses on stems and some glass ornamentation objects sunlight catcher things. We wrap them in hand towels and pack them lightly. Never broke one. If we had a whole bunch of stuff that was all glass, well ... we'd be switching to non-breakables real fast ... which is exactly what we did! Except we haven't given up the wine glasses for Red Solo cups yet!

Chum lee

Albuquerque, NM

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/19 11:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use the roll type rubberized anti-skid shelf liner available at WalMart on all the storage shelves. Wrapping fragile items with an additional layer of the liner is a quick easy way to provide extra shock resistance which stops most (not all) impact damage. IMO, packing things snugly and keeping them from sliding around in transit is the key. Placing a layer between fragile stacked plates/bowls also helps.

After several years of full timing, most of the things that shouldn't even be in my RV have all ready been broken and replaced with more durable goods. The problem eventually solves itself.

Chum lee

Second Chance

Wherever...

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/06/19 11:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As full-timers, we pack the same foods in our fifth wheel as we did in the house (albeit smaller quantities). Whether in the frig, pantry, or another cabinet we use as a "satellite pantry," we just make sure things are not packed so loosely that they knock about. 33,000 miles and we've never had anything break.

Rob

U.S. Army retired
2016 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MOR/ryde independent suspension, disc brakes, LR G tires
PullRite OE 18K, Demco Glide Ride pin box
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

whiteeye42

Rock Springs Wyoming

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/19 11:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

spaghetti sauce in a jar or can is gross way cheaper to make your own with a couple cans of tomato sauce and a packet of seasoning and some hamburger but yes we take glass jar with us when we go camping but we only do boondocking in the wilds of the forest.

Me,Wife two boys and two dogs
2008 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4x4 DRW 6.7 cummins
2008 Jayco Eagle 341 RLQS 37' with B&W turnover ball & companion hitch
using rotochoks
add state map

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Traveling with glass
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS