RV.Net Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Best wax for lazy people?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Best wax for lazy people?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
Sponsored By:
westend

Shorewood, MN

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/19 04:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've used Parfe liquid wax (no need to wipe it down after spraying on) with very good results. It is a very hard wax and leaves a decent shine. Building a deep shine needs buffing and many coats, including polishes. The Parfe is a good substitute. Available here:Parfe wax

'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland Eastern Shore

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/19 02:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'll bet the OP wants something easy, long lasting & cheap as well. HA! Good luck. Not going to happen.

I am in the middle of giving my 12 year old 5er its annual waxing right now. It is a full 2 day job. The gelcoat is in great shape because it has been taken care of since almost new. No chalking. Spending 7 months of the year indoors helps in a very big way.

My wax of choice is the Meguires flagship. It does nothing to remove dirt, stains or chalking but is an excellent protective wax hence only the need for once a year. Twice if the 5er was outside year round.

If you have neglected your gelcoat then there is no easy or cheap way to restore it. You have to get rid of the chalking before even thinking about waxing. A cleaner wax will remove minor chalking but will not hold a shine for long, never mind what the claims on the bottle are.

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Range Maggot Bob

Missouri

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/19 04:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gbopp wrote:

brianosaur wrote:

So if you were lazy and dreading washing and waxing your 32' fiberglass siding TT, what would be the fastest most bestest way to get it looking real purdy?

No way am I gonna old school Mr. Miyagi style the wax.

Thanks[emoticon]

Pay someone to wash and wax your rig while you watch with the beverage of your choice. It doesn't get any easier. [emoticon]

Yeah, just did that. Now I've got a still brand-new looking RV with a torn decal on the front cap. IMHO- never let anybody use a pressure washer on your new-looking RV. Next time for us- hand wash and hand paste wax. I don't care what it costs. (Within reason, of course.) And always for us- Maguires. Nothing else will do.

Range Maggot Bob

Missouri

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/19 04:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

Transitioning from Purdy to Patina is the natural course of all RVs.
Learn to accept the inevitable. Hose it off and go camping.

I guess maybe you may be right. Sigh..........

wopachop

lb

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/19 01:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

brianosaur wrote:

So does ALL the wax have to be hand spray pumped on and ragged off?

...remember the 'lazy' tag in the OP?
Yes you can use a pressure washer. No hand pumping and super quick. Not the best for quality and longevity. But it shines in the lazy department.

I use:
1. Foam Cannon $20 on Amazon to soap a section.
2. Brush on a pole to clean.
3. Rinse that section and repeat other sides.
4. Empty soap from foam cannon and pour in wax. (I've used hydrosilex...their formula from about 1 year ago) You literally spray on the protectant with the pressure washer and then rinse off.

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/12/19 03:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

/didn't use to be lazy but I got ooold!
I use to change the oil in my cars and washed and waxed them every week and the underside and engine bay sparkled too. Even the spark plugs were changed often and the points and timing checked every week.
Waxing! not again. I used Mc Quires spray polish and spray synthetic wax.
Wash, polish, wash again, and then wax by spraying on and rubbing until it disappears with micro fiber towels. Not hard except when you are older than dirt.
Don't have Grand kids. Maybe I can rent some next time. Need teenagers who drive up in their cars for an example of their work!

Ron3rd

Upland, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/19 04:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lots of good waxes out there as others have posted. NuFinish is tried and true and very economical. Lasts a long time too.

2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

JimBollman

Lost State of Franklin

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/19 06:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Called a fellow that details cars, he came to the house washed, did some kind of secondary cleaning to prep the surface and applied something he called a ceramic coating. I assume it is some type of hi-tech wax. He said it would last at least a year and if it didn't still bead water in 6 months he would do it over for free. 20 Year old B van looked like new including the fiberglass hightop. Price included tires and the all outside stuff, interior was extra. $150 for 3 hours of hard work seemed like a bargain to me, he had allowed 4 hours but finished early. He had figured in the extra hour in case he needed it. Only warning was to use mild soap when washing. He said for most dirt leaving it out in a hard rain would be sufficient and so far that has what it has gotten and it looks pretty good and beads nice. I will give it a quick wash before our October trip, the lower area around the tires and the hood could use some cleaning. I will be calling him again in the Spring and let him do our car at the same time.

Very easy, I just walked out every 30-40 minutes to see how the progress was going.

Etstorm

Frankston,TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/15/19 10:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This thread energized me. Just finished doing my Open Range 5er with Turtle Wax Ice. Pretty easy (except for up and down the ladder) and looks good

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Best wax for lazy people?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS