|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Terrible Trucks

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Next
Sponsored By:
Jayco-noslide

Galesburg,Il., USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/19 09:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No doubt I'll get lots of disagreement on this. Just wondering how many young people on a budget are buying those nice trucks at $40000 and up; way up for a 1 ton diesel. And financing them for as many years as a home. Economically a bad choice. For starters the purchase price is up there with amazing luxury and sport vehicles and 2 to 3 times many really nice vehicles.. Brutal depreciation follows. Secondly, about half as far on each gallon as a compact car or even a small SUV. So the overall cost of ownership must be huge. Yes, sometimes we need a truck, such as for a 5th wheel or heavy trailer. I've done that but then my (used) truck was my only vehicle. I guess I don't have a point here except I worry for those that don't really know what's it's costing them. Also, lighter, vehicles with small lightweight engines are way greener if you care about that sort of thing. OK. I'm not perfect with my 30 ft. V-10 MH towing a Ford Focus.

Jayco-noslide

thestoloffs

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/07/19 09:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My nephew is 6'7" tall. He says that his pickup was the only vehicle he could drive comfortably without opening the sun roof!

Lotsa reasons why people buy specific vehicles!

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/19 09:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most people are only interested in how much the payments will be. Not how long or how much it will cost them over the term of the loan. Understandably, people want nice things. And keeping up with Jones is important to many. And not just trucks, but most everything else they buy including houses far more expensive than they can reasonably afford. Unfortunately that often leads to financial problems.

There are always cheaper alternatives than the highest end ones, but wants often overrule common sense.

Matt_Colie

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/19 09:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How is this different than those that buy (mortgage) a diesel pusher for 1k$/m for 20 years?

Matt

Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/19 10:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jayco, do you wonder this, or is it a rant disguised as wonderment?

I'm sure you already know the answer and the answer is a lot of people do this.
I look at it another way. Folks that spend outside their means (which is totally subjective) probably stimulate the economy for more than folks that don't.
Who's against stimulating the economy?

Along the same lines I love buying luxury things used, at a deep discount that, in my opinion, someone overspent on when new.
The only downside currently, for me anyway, is the "good deals" are few and far between to somewhat non existent for many "things" partly due to the good economy and partly due to the gross overspending by those who bought new.
Talking about the same people Jayco, the buy a $60k stickered truck for $60k+, add on another $10k in "mods" or more, wrap it all in a monthly payment for however many years and then try to sell a couple years later for what a similar new off the dealer lot can be bought for. BUT these folks are doing more than their part to support the economy so I say go for it!

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/19 10:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes trucks are expensive but, does the price make them terrible?

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/19 10:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A luxury vehicle that costs $75k weighs what? 5000#?
A new truck that costs $75K weighs 8000#+.

So you get more for your money with a truck. [emoticon]

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins.
2018 Silver Fox 32A.
H0NDA eu2000i

DutchmenSport

Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/07/19 11:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

7 year loan on a $6oK truck paid in full after 4 years. $65K 5er with a 15 year loan paid in full less than 1 year later. I'm not upside down. I think I saved about $85K over the life of both loans. The interest gained by keeping that money in the bank would have never returned near that same amount in interest paid.

Allworth

Orlando, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/07/19 11:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Buy used.

You will be amazed at how many people buy a nice, big, truck and then find out how "BIG" it really is in traffic and parking lots; turn around and sell it.

For instance, look at what is listed at Gibson Truck World.

A

Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
2008 Titanium 30E35SA; EZ-Lube axles; wet bolts; spring hanger gussetts; BFG Commercial TAs
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/19 11:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ScottG wrote:

A luxury vehicle that costs $75k weighs what? 5000#?
A new truck that costs $75K weighs 8000#+.

So you get more for your money with a truck. [emoticon]

Can we assume you sell trucks for a living [emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Terrible Trucks
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS