|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Terrible Trucks

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
JAC1982

Brighton, CO

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/19 01:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are those "young people" you are probably referring to. Mid-30s. 3 newer vehicles, nice 5th wheel toyhauler, RZR (own that free and clear), and we also go to about 25 NHL games a year and a handful of music concerts/festivals and other pro sporting events.

How do we do it? Well yes, we have some debt. But my husband is in IT consulting, I work in software. We have a really good combined income. We also have no kids and no plans to have any, just dogs. We have no consumer debt other than the vehicles and camper, and I have a student loan, my husband's is paid off. We save for retirement and our home is worth $300k more than we paid for it a little over 4 years ago. We bought it only using his income because we weren't married yet. We also own land in WY that we are planning on building a small house on in the next few years and my husband owns land in AZ with his dad, so if things went to hell, we could sell our house and have somewhere to go that's free and clear.

But, our reality is, my husband has an auto-immune disease. He very well may not live to a very old age, so we decide to do some living now instead of saving saving saving so we can maybe do it in retirement in 30 years.

Things we don't do that a lot of people in our age range do: Go to Starbucks every day. Eat out for multiple meals. I cook 6-7 nights a week and eat leftovers for lunches. We don't buy expensive clothing. We don't take many expensive vacations that don't involve our camper. Most travel we do outside of camping is to go to weddings and even then we use airline miles and stay in AirBnBs to save money.

And sure, we would have even more disposable income if we didn't have all the payments on the vehicles and camper, but what would we spend it on? I guess we could put more in retirement, but again, we are trying to enjoy life now, responsibly, instead of not living for the next 30 years.

2017 Keystone Impact 351
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch

2019 RAM 1500 Laramie Longhorn
2016 Ford Explorer Sport 3.5 Eco-Boost
2015 Polaris RZR 900S

Crowe

Merrimack, NH (finally!)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/09/19 03:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And sure, we would have even more disposable income if we didn't have all the payments on the vehicles and camper, but what would we spend it on? I guess we could put more in retirement, but again, we are trying to enjoy life now, responsibly, instead of not living for the next 30 years.

IMHO a very wise decision. My husband's father died at the age of 52. My mom died at the age of 55. I could go on and on but you get my point. Living in the here and now vs. "tomorrow" is very important. And before you Negative Nellie's get on here and say "what if you live until 90?" please note the one key word JAC1982 used: RESPONSIBLY.

Subscribe to the 3 "L" rule-don't stop livin', lovin' and learnin'

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

JAC1982

Brighton, CO

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/19 04:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Crowe wrote:

IMHO a very wise decision. My husband's father died at the age of 52. My mom died at the age of 55. I could go on and on but you get my point. Living in the here and now vs. "tomorrow" is very important. And before you Negative Nellie's get on here and say "what if you live until 90?" please note the one key word JAC1982 used: RESPONSIBLY.

Yup, my dad died when he was 52. His dad died when he was around that age too. He and my mom had always talked about getting an RV and traveling the country after they retired, but he never made it to retirement. So I know all too well how life can be very short.

And yes, responsibly is the key word. If you're 35 and make 50k a year, it's probably not a great idea to buy a 70k truck and a 50k camper. But for us, it works.

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/19 07:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I never buy new. You can save almost half by buying 3-5 years old. You do have to look harder for a well taken care of vehicle but it can be done.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Hammerboy

Zeeland, MI

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/19 08:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dodge guy wrote:

I never buy new. You can save almost half by buying 3-5 years old. You do have to look harder for a well taken care of vehicle but it can be done.

You can also score really good deals on new ones and well. When I purchased my last one I got it for over 20% off msrp so I drove off the lot for virtually the same as 1-2 year old used trucks that I seen on local lots. Sometimes it pays to buy new plus I like to know the history of the truck too. Plus I get a full warranty.

Dan

2013 Chevy crew 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

Jayco-noslide

Galesburg,Il., USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/19 09:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Appreciate all of the interesting responses. The culture of loaning and financing would like us all to think that delaying payment for something we can't pay for today is not only OK but actually a good thing. For the economy maybe; for me no. I hope I never have to go back to not being debt free,

Jayco-noslide

JAC1982

Brighton, CO

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/19 09:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hammerboy wrote:

dodge guy wrote:

You can also score really good deals on new ones and well. When I purchased my last one I got it for over 20% off msrp so I drove off the lot for virtually the same as 1-2 year old used trucks that I seen on local lots. Sometimes it pays to buy new plus I like to know the history of the truck too. Plus I get a full warranty.

Dan

Yup, we bought our 2017 F-350 new at the end of the model year and got a killer deal on it. Our trade was a 2015 F350, and they gave us more than we owed on that one. Our neighbor, 6 months later, bought a used one, same model year as ours, same dealership, with 10,000 miles on it, for more than we paid for our new one. Only difference was ours is the King Ranch Trim and his is the Platinum trim.

Before our new RAM we bought a used 2015 F-150 last year. It was super clean, looked great, and only had 35,000 miles on it (but was still close to 40k). But it had a lot of problems despite it looking good. At one point it was at the shop for nearly a month because they couldn't figure out an electrical problem and they had to replace the entire computer on it. After all that is when we traded it in and bought the RAM. Sucks because we paid to get new tires on the F-150, and added a bed cover. I don't think we'll buy a used truck again.

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/19 10:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The new vs.used philosophy has its pros and cons.
For the most part used will always be cheaper but will come with risk and compromise.
Newer will always be more expensive, but there are still good buys to be had.
You get a fresh truck with warranty that can be repair free for a long time.

2019 Duramax w/hips,2012 Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,RV safepower,17" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

FEDowner

Simi Valley Ca.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/13/19 01:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A 2020 Corvette is only 60K why are trucks so expensive?

Bert Ackerman

Palm Beach

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/19 01:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FEDowner wrote:

A 2020 Corvette is only 60K why are trucks so expensive?

A $60K Corvette is what Geezers drive around in while dreaming they are still capable of picking up the 18 yr old girls walking down the sidewalk. It sort of looks like a Corvette, but runs like a Chevette. A true Corvette is more like $150K.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Terrible Trucks
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS