RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Down to Road trek?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Jayco-noslide

Galesburg,Il., USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/19 09:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are currently happy with a well used 30 ft. Class C. But getting older and might be able to keep going longer if we downsize to something easier to drive and small enough to do away with a dinghy and all the hooking work, etc. Seems to me that, considering the high price even used of the more modern Class Bs that a used Road Trek might be best. Possibly one for $30000 or less, Compared to the 50K and up for newer designs. I know we would be sacrifising space, bed arrangement, storage, freezer and other painful ammenities. Would like to hear from those of you who have gone this route.

Jayco-noslide

diazr2

Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/07/19 10:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Class Bs are a lot of fun for sure. Lots of ++++ I had one when I was younger and had just gotten married. Loved spending time with the wife and that's a very good thing.. Because Class Bs are very tight. Specially after having an A or C. I sold my C to buy the B and Never a regret. However the older we got the harder it was to live in a small space. So we got rid of the B and now have a fifth-wheel. We are still loving each other and still enjoy each others company (not sure that would be the case if we had kept that B) :-)

Pawz4me

North Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/19 10:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

About 2.5 years ago we downsized from a 35' Class A to a Winnebago Travato. Yes, it's certainly different from the A, but for us the differences are overwhelmingly positive. We gladly traded the room for the much better driving experience, no need for a dinghy, etc. We honestly haven't had a single regret. We enjoyed our ten years with the A very much. When our boys were younger we needed the space, so it was well worth the hassle. But now we're so glad that it's so easy to take off and go, stress free driving, etc.

Me, DH and Yogi (Shih Tzu)
2017 Winnebago Travato 59K

magicbus

Nantucket Island, MA

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/19 11:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^^^ x2^^^ Pretty much exactly what the previous poster had to say applies to us.

Dave

Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

Tripalot

Golden Horseshoe, Ont. Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/07/19 11:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We too are struggling with the decision of going from a B+ to a B van. We love all the room and huge bathroom in our current unit + with having a Murphy bed, we have extra space during the day. The problem is we still enjoy the convenience of a tow car but the hooking/unhooking and added driving stress are becoming a concern. DH has Parkinsons so some chores are becoming more difficult. Our biggest concern with a further downsize (we used to have an A class)is bathroom and shower facilities. If we could find a B van with a reasonable bathroom, it would work for us. We could handle the small space for the convenience of less stressful driving. This getting older is NOT fun!

2014 Triple E Regency GT24MB (Murphy Bed) with all the good stuff
towing a 2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Berkley, the amazing camping cat missed dearly (1996-2012)

debandi

Austin

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/19 12:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have the same problem. getting older is not for wimps!
We have been on the road for about 20 years mostly in class A rigs. Our last one was a 40 ft American Eagle but we started having some health problem and decided to try apartment living for a while to get well.
We got well and didn't enjoy apartment living and if we wanted to go on a trip we had to use motels and restaurants.
We now have a 2006 22 ft Trek and are enjoying the 20+MPG at the speed limit.
The bathroom is small...... we still try to stay at campgrounds so we can use their toilet facility. Sleeping in the Trek is very comfortable. My wife does the cooking and is enjoying our new life style.

John Spear RMCS(SW)USN RET '88
Debra is my 'nagagator'! She tells me where to go.
Enjoying our 2006 Roadtrek Adventurs RS

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/19 05:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Roadtrek is bankrupt but a company has purchased them. I'd buy used--but not new.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

mumkin

Chaska, MN/Mesa, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/19 06:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you are considering a used Roadtrek... and there are lots of great ones still out there, this is one of the best places to start shopping:

Roadtrek International

Of course there are quite a few older Pleasureways and Great West Vans around too.

Mumkin
2019 Roadtrek Simplicity SRT (half Zion/half Simplicity)
2015 Roadtrek 170
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme

Trekkar

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/19 06:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jayco-noslide wrote:

We are currently happy with a well used 30 ft. Class C. But getting older and might be able to keep going longer if we downsize to something easier to drive and small enough to do away with a dinghy and all the hooking work, etc. Seems to me that, considering the high price even used of the more modern Class Bs that a used Road Trek might be best. Possibly one for $30000 or less, Compared to the 50K and up for newer designs. I know we would be sacrifising space, bed arrangement, storage, freezer and other painful ammenities. Would like to hear from those of you who have gone this route.

This is what we did. Older 'trek for well under your $30K price max. Ours is a pre-sprinter sized unit, and you would need to make sure the bed is big enough for you. Ours is, but just. Because it's just an oversized van, it is our second vehicle when not on the road as well, so it gets used often. No need to make reservations, as you can park in any sized spot. If you like to meander, it doesn't get much easier. We made the move from a Class A years ago, and never looked back.

2001 RoadTrek 190

PSW

Oklahoma City

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/08/19 08:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had a 96 Roadtrek 190P we bought new and we enjoyed it for six years, sold it and bought a small C, kept it for a few years and then bought a new 2007 Roadtrek 210P. Seven years later, we sold the RT and bought another small C because we had gotten to the point where we camped (boondocked) more and toured less. We tough a Jeep behind the 24 foot C. Add up the lengths of the Jeep, the towing gear and the C and we are about 43 feet long. We have to plan every stop for gas, cannot just "whip in" to a place to grab a bite to eat and so on. When we get where we are going it is great and we spend 2 weeks or so in one boondocking spot using the Jeep to run around.

Well, great. The lady that bought our 210P put it up for sale after a few years and guess what? We bought it back from her! She kept it in immaculate condition for a few years and only added a small amount of mileage. It is now back in its home garage on our property, looks like new and runs like new. I can service and take care of all the rv "stuff" on the unit myself and after all these years know those systems pretty well.

Our RT has twin beds as opposed to the couch that makes into a bed. That gives us a large storage space accessible from the back. This 210 has an armoire in place of the third seat and the combined interior storage is more than our last C. So is the external storage. I think I am correct that the 210 has more cubic feet of storage than any other B.

To make a long story even longer, it has now been 23 years since we bought our first Roadtrek. Driving is more of a chore for us than it was 23 years ago. We can drive for longer distances in a day if we desire, buy gas anywhere and every little town has a "Chevy place" that can work on that chassis.

Cramped? Yep, compared to a C any B is a little cramped.

Hey, so is a Cessna Citation or a Learjet. So what?

PSW
2013 Phoenix Cruiser 2350
2014 Jeep Cherokee behind it
and a 2007 Roadtrek 210P for touring

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.