|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Sanitizing fresh water tank

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
chuckbear

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/08/19 09:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Can anyone provide any verifiable sources for anyone that has gotten seriously ill that is definitely contributed to the water system in their RV? Chuck

Supercharged111

Colorado Springs, CO

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/19 09:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

markchengr wrote:

some RV's have electric remote flush valves.

Sounds like a good solution for all those ******** that divebomb loaded trucks and cut them off.

2007 Lance 1131
1997 GMC K3500 crew cab supercharged dually

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/19 10:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

My garden hoses are black and gray currently. Is that as bad as green? Lol.

Worse...ha ha

Quote:

32 garden hoses from 6 national retailers (including The Home Depot, Lowe’s, and Amazon) were tested for lead, cadmium, phthalates, bromine (associated with brominated flame retardants); PVC plastic; antimony, and tin (indicating organotins). Water from select hoses was also tested. Such chemicals have been linked to birth defects, impaired learning, liver toxicity, premature births and early puberty in laboratory animals, and hormone disruption, among other serious health problems. Results were released today at www.HealthyStuff.org.

What Was Found in the Water
Half of the hoses (3 of 6) whose water was tested contained lead. Three of the samples contained 13, 19, and 20 ppb lead, respectively. The EPA action level for drinking water is 15 ppb.
Lead was not detected in the water from the drinking-water-safe hose tested.
BPA as high as 87 ppb was found in two of the hose water samples.
A previous study found the phthalate DEHP at 25 ppb in one sample of hose water, which is four times higher than federal drinking water standards. EPA and FDA regulate DEHP in water at 6 ppb.

This reminds me of the movie Mountain Men and the indian chief "Iron Belly"..LOL

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/19 10:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JimK-NY wrote:

Sanitizing an RV water system is cheap, quick and easy. I don't understand why anyone would skip that before taking a trip. .

For the same reasons people drive to gas station with flame under refrigerator.
There are no reports RV water made anybody sick and not doing that for over 30 years is good proof for me.
Now I do evaluate the situation. In California we had good water, we had colder weather and I used RV more often, so seldom water was more than 6 months old.
In Las Vegas water is nasty and I don't use it for direct consumption even in my house.
Since my TC sits for 10 months at the time, I just drain. RV water tanks don't have drains that will make tank empty, but the reminder never cost me any problems.
Than my Fleetwood has build-in water filtering system, where I replace the filter going on vacations.
If you really look for a way to be busy, why don't you change your tire air from summer to winter blend?

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/19 10:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

chuckbear wrote:

Can anyone provide any verifiable sources for anyone that has gotten seriously ill that is definitely contributed to the water system in their RV? Chuck

I doubt that is going to happen unless someone truly mistreated there RV water tank..

All this talk about RV water and alot of people won't drink it from the tank..They bring bottled water instead not know as an example..

Quote:

SACRAMENTO (CBS13) — Wal-Mart is facing questions tonight after CBS13 learns the company draws its bottled water from a Sacramento water district during California’s drought.

According to the label, the water comes from the Sacramento Municipal Water Supply.

Go figure...Laffin

Like Kateg 1..I/we have been drinking from RV water tanks for over 60 years while from my own for 53-54..Nobody has ever gotten sick from doing so..Drinking from a creek,not so much..I use a Sawyer water filter and a Steripen ultra violet light for creek water.

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/08/19 10:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

chuckbear wrote:

Reading a study that a substantial number of RV water systems are contaminated with Legionella does not appear to be enough of a warning for you. Do you have an opening where you can feel the sides of your water tank? I can almost guarantee it will feel slimy if you have not sanitized the tank within a few months. You might even be able to see some pink or other discoloration due to bacteria. You can also have the water cultured. I dealt with ultrapure lab water and it was still hard to keep the water from becoming contaminated at each spigot.

I don't know how much warning you need. I am not about to do a literature search to satisfy your skepticism. Instead I will just keep treating my system before each season and if the water is stagnant or unchlorinated.

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/19 11:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Instead I will just keep treating my system before each season and if the water is stagnant or unchlorinated

I must ad,I am basing my experience using city water that has been treated and chlorinated...Nothing else..

Once we were running out of water way back in the hills and we decided to take some water that was coming straight out of the mountain and had been tested by some backcountry homeowners..We have drank this water for years..

So I transported water to my TT using 6 gallon water containers,then dumped it in the tank via the spicket and nozzle...All was good until about a two weeks later..It smelled like rotten eggs..Yuck...So I did sterilize the tanks and lines twice with bleach..No issues since..

It has to be city/treated water to last in an RV tank.

chuckbear

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/08/19 11:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JimK-NY wrote:

chuckbear wrote:

Reading a study that a substantial number of RV water systems are contaminated with Legionella does not appear to be enough of a warning for you. Do you have an opening where you can feel the sides of your water tank? I can almost guarantee it will feel slimy if you have not sanitized the tank within a few months. You might even be able to see some pink or other discoloration due to bacteria. You can also have the water cultured. I dealt with ultrapure lab water and it was still hard to keep the water from becoming contaminated at each spigot.

I don't know how much warning you need. I am not about to do a literature search to satisfy your skepticism. Instead I will just keep treating my system before each season and if the water is stagnant or unchlorinated.

You say you're reading a study. Share it with us. What's the harm? My experience is real world and not something I have read. Chuck

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/08/19 03:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

chuckbear wrote:

You say you're reading a study. Share it with us. What's the harm? My experience is real world and not something I have read. Chuck

I posted the citation on this thread.

K Mac

Lower Hudson Valley N.Y.

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/19 09:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all the responses guys. Since the beginning of May , I've gotten H2O from VA. to ME. in 5 states and forgot to drain the tank last time I came home, and while getting ready last week for a few more weeks on the road noticed an egg smell so there was definitely a need to sanitize. Never knew the hydrogen peroxide trick, thanks. My BIL runs a filter plant for 30K residents and always give's me stuff that he uses. (You need better stuff than clorox) lol, but he's out of the country so I needed you guys to remind me. I've always used clorox just wanted to be sure. Funny thing also with public water N.Westchester Joint Water Works (ours) had stopped using chlorine for a # of years, but has again started using it again, after a coalition of local Dentists, led by mine convinced them of the benefits. Maybe this post will "remind" others, thanks again. K Mac

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Sanitizing fresh water tank
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.