RV.Net Open Roads Forum: What do I need to start this?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> What do I need to start this?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
LokiSukaido

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/19 10:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello all,

I am brand new to the forums. And, I just purchased my first RV. It is a 1989 Ford E-350 Class C (I've been trying to learn as much as I can). She definitely needs a LOT of work. But, the asking price was way too good to pass up.

Anyway, I plan to do whatever I can to get her going, again. But, I have a few questions first. I haven't found anything that will answer these questions online, yet. The first question is; Is the chassis battery usually the same size as the house battery?

I am asking because the RV has a house battery that seems to be working fine. But, the chassis battery was removed prior to my purchase. I would like to be able to at least be able to move the vehicle, in the event that it is necessary while I am working on her.

Secondly, I have attached a few images of what I think are the worst of the necessary repairs. Can anyone tell me if these look worse than they appear? Or, have I really found things that are irreparable. Sorry for the large post. And, I appreciate all the constructive help. Mahalo in advance.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B23Xsy8PZX5sT1h6LWZYdVliTEdRdUd5WS0tMVN6Q2VNVGJj

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B23Xsy8PZX5sSEVqWnZnTW5HUzhXMzZGR3Z4akJZc3IzNThB

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0?ui=2&ik=13b4a93c82&attid=0.1&permmsgid=msg-a[emoticon]6730498401062910050&th=16d11af7a2e74b9b&view=att&disp=safe&realattid=16d11ae84dde8e97dc81

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0?ui=2&ik=13b4a93c82&attid=0.2&permmsgid=msg-a[emoticon]6730498401062910050&th=16d11af7a2e74b9b&view=att&disp=safe&realattid=16d11aec7764857ace32

pushtoy 2

texas

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/19 10:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

a normal battery for the Cassie will work. go to your parts Store tell them the chassis and they will look it up. good luck you have your work cut out for you.. everyone on this forum are very helpfull

DREAMER ">

bukhrn

Lanexa, Va

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/08/19 11:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I couldn't get the last 2 pics to open, but the first 2 come under the heading of "YIKES", unless the "Asking Price" was "get this thing out of my yard" then you paid too much.
Not meaning to be insulting or hurtful, but what you're looking at spending, you could have paid more & got a much better RV, that one looks like an escapee from the bone yard.
Besides a complete rebuild, the tires alone, you're looking at $1200.00 +/-, a chassis battery looks to be the least of your problems.

2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund
You can have my RV, when you pry my cold dead fingers from the Steering Wheel

LokiSukaido

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/19 11:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you, pushtoy 2. So, I cannot just hook up the "house battery" to the engine, and drive the vehicle? Good to know. Now, I just need to know if the other items are repairable. Or, is this something I need to scrap?

LokiSukaido

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/19 11:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bukhrn wrote:

I couldn't get the last 2 pics to open, but the first 2 come under the heading of "YIKES", unless the "Asking Price" was "get this thing out of my yard" then you paid too much.
Not meaning to be insulting or hurtful, but what you're looking at spending, you could have paid more & got a much better RV, that one looks like an escapee from the bone yard.
Besides a complete rebuild, the tires alone, you're looking at $1200.00 +/-, a chassis battery looks to be the least of your problems.

You aren't being hurtful or insulting. Actually, that was pretty much the "asking price" [emoticon] I'm pretty certain that I could have paid about $1200 or more and gotten something I could use almost right away. I am just wondering if it's doable. I don't plan on being able to stay in it right away. I anticipate at least a year or more. I am trying to DIY as much as possible.

I am concerned that there might not be a way to repair/replace the pieces that need it. But, I wanted to get as much info as I can before I proceed in any direction.

Lwiddis

Bishop, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/08/19 12:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

“I anticipate at least a year or more. I am trying to DIY as much as possible.”

Oh my! Two years minimum. Is the C under cover?

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2019 Chevy Silverado LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - old MOS 1542 & 1560.

pushtoy 2

texas

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/19 12:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LokiSukaido wrote:

Thank you, pushtoy 2. So, I cannot just hook up the "house battery" to the engine, and drive the vehicle? Good to know. Now, I just need to know if the other items are repairable. Or, is this something I need to scrap?
yes you can take the house battery and use for the motor if it will fit some house battery are bigger.. I couldn't open your links

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/08/19 12:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You need a new chassis battery. Look up the size and go down to Costco (or your choice) and get a new chassis starting battery.

http://photoposting.is-great.net/?i=2

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

WILDEBILL308

FORT WORTH , TEXAS

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/19 12:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First if the house battery is 12 volt you can move it so you can use it to start the engine.
Sadly I have been down that same path. Thinking I could fix up something. I would try to sell it for what you have in it. If you can start it you should be able to.
Save a little and you can find a good RV you can get in and drive it not spend all your time and money working on it. You can spend plenty upgrading and updating one you can drive.
Any question just ask.
Bill

2003 BOUNDER 38N
5.9 CUMMINS 300 HP
ALLISON 3000MH TRANSMISSION
TOWING 2014 HONDA CRV With Blue Ox tow bar
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain

Bordercollie

Garden Grove, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/19 12:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Almost anything in the RV is replaceable. It the roof or siding has dry rot/water damaged and moldy, you may be in for a lot of reconstruction woodwork and replacement of roof and siding. Old rigs often have messed up wiring from amateur fixes. The roof AC unit, water heater, fridge and converter/charger unit and fresh water pump may need replacement as well as all six tires. The engine cooling system may need serious work including radiator, belts and hoses, water pump and clutch fan. The brake system may need major overhaul.
The chassis alternator and electrical and lighting system may need replacement. The engine and transmission may need overhaul. Even if you are a well equipped truck mechanic and skilled RV structural repair man, and have helpers, I think you are looking at spending some 20K dollars . An old restored rig with all new innards is not worth much more than 5-7K dollars as the buyer cannot get a loan on that old of a rig. My advice is give it back or sell it to a junkyard for whatever you can get. Advice: Save up 20K and buy a used rig that is usable as is with few repairs/upgrades needed. There are some ongoing threads on RV.Net about major restorations that will be informative.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> What do I need to start this?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS