RV.Net Open Roads Forum: What do I need to start this?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> What do I need to start this?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
LokiSukaido

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/19 12:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bordercollie wrote:

Almost anything in the RV is replaceable. It the roof or siding has dry rot/water damaged and moldy, you may be in for a lot of reconstruction woodwork and replacement of roof and siding. Old rigs often have messed up wiring from amateur fixes. The roof AC unit, water heater, fridge and converter/charger unit and fresh water pump may need replacement as well as all six tires. The engine cooling system may need serious work including radiator, belts and hoses, water pump and clutch fan. The brake system may need major overhaul.
The chassis alternator and electrical and lighting system may need replacement. The engine and transmission may need overhaul. Even if you are a well equipped truck mechanic and skilled RV structural repair man, and have helpers, I think you are looking at spending some 20K dollars . An old restored rig with all new innards is not worth much more than 5-7K dollars as the buyer cannot get a loan on that old of a rig. My advice is give it back or sell it to a junkyard for whatever you can get. Advice: Save up 20K and buy a used rig that is usable as is with few repairs/upgrades needed. There are some ongoing threads on RV.Net about major restorations that will be informative.

Thank you for the information. Any idea how much one could get to junk a Class C? I know some places do it by weight. And, others by style of vehicle. I once had a 1988 Celica that was quoted as being worth $200, scrap. But, that is a tiny car.

Which bring up another question. Are there scrapyards specifically for RVs? Or, do I take it to a generic one? I'm still new. So, I'm still learning.

Additionally, I figured that I'd need to put a bit into her, if I'm going to make it work. And, part of my initial thought when I first looked at her was that it would take me quite a while, and a lot of work. But, the journey might be fun. Was I mistaken?

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/19 12:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Based on the first two pictures, I fear what you have is basically a collection of some parts that could be used in the building of another RV. The third and fourth pictures I think require access to your personal gmail account to view, which of course I do not have.

In the first picture, the structure--not just the skin, but the actual framework--of the back of the motorhome looks compromised and perhaps unsafe. In the second, there is a whole lot of water damage to the cabover; it would need to be completely rebuilt, again possibly requiring repairs to or replacement of the basic framework as well as the walls, etc. In the end, it would come close to building a new class C motorhome on an old chassis, I suspect. If you carried through with this, you'd still have a thirty year old chassis to keep running (albeit a fairly reliable and well-documented and popular thirty year old chassis).

This is not impossible to do, but it's a whole lot of work and requires some skills in a number of trades to pull off. It would probably be a lot quicker and easier to get some other vehicle in better shape and move/adapt the RV parts to it. Something like a school bus or a step van could maybe be a starting point...or an enclosed trailer if you don't mind a tow-behind.

For most people, though, I think Bordercollie hit it on the head: get what you can for this, and look for something in better shape. It will likely be less money and definitely a lot less time spent in the end.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/08/19 12:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just do the minimum and go camping. If you want to restore vehicles you are better with an old Camaro. I think for most of us RVing is about travel and enjoying the outdoors more than a restoration.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

LokiSukaido

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/19 01:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DrewE wrote:

Based on the first two pictures, I fear what you have is basically a collection of some parts that could be used in the building of another RV. The third and fourth pictures I think require access to your personal gmail account to view, which of course I do not have.

In the first picture, the structure--not just the skin, but the actual framework--of the back of the motorhome looks compromised and perhaps unsafe. In the second, there is a whole lot of water damage to the cabover; it would need to be completely rebuilt, again possibly requiring repairs to or replacement of the basic framework as well as the walls, etc. In the end, it would come close to building a new class C motorhome on an old chassis, I suspect. If you carried through with this, you'd still have a thirty year old chassis to keep running (albeit a fairly reliable and well-documented and popular thirty year old chassis).

This is not impossible to do, but it's a whole lot of work and requires some skills in a number of trades to pull off. It would probably be a lot quicker and easier to get some other vehicle in better shape and move/adapt the RV parts to it. Something like a school bus or a step van could maybe be a starting point...or an enclosed trailer if you don't mind a tow-behind.

For most people, though, I think Bordercollie hit it on the head: get what you can for this, and look for something in better shape. It will likely be less money and definitely a lot less time spent in the end.

Thank you for this. And, for everyone else. I thank you, as well. While the main enjoyment of RVing is the traveling and camping, what I meant before was that when completed, she would be something I could go camping with and share that I put in a lot of work. Kind of what was mentioned about restoring a Camaro, or something. It would be a matter of pride. However, it seems that the general consensus is that this is not a realistic idea. I'm hoping that what I have seen looks worse than it really is. However, maybe I will continue to look for something like the beginnings of a skoolie. You did bring up a good point about it being a 30 year old chassis. I haven't been able to really examine well that. So, I may be in for more. However, I'm just trying to get as much info as I can, and take it one step at a time.

happy2rv

Huntsville, AL, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/08/19 01:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree with most other posters. You MIGHT be able to make repairs to get this to a usable state, but from the 2 viewable pictures, it would appear that the entire structure of the RV is compromised. Think about what it will cost to rehab, your abilities to do the work, and what it will be worth to you when its done. You can invest far less money than it will cost you in repairs, even if you do the repairs yourself, and end up with far more. There are a lot of older RVs that are in far better shape to "rehab" and end up with a lot better project.

If appliances and drive train aren't in as bad a condition as the back of the coach looks, you may be able to make some money piecing it out. I haven't done this, but at one point RV engines were kind of sought after used engines because although they are often hard miles, they are often low mileage engines when the coaches fall down around them.

2018 Forrest River Salem Hemisphere 282RK - 2017 RAM 1500 TV

Previous RVs and TOADS
2004 Fleetwood Bounder 32W on WH W20
2000 Four Winds 5000 21RB
1986 27' Allegro
TOADS
2005 Ford Ranger XLT 2WD
2004 Suzuki Aerio
1988 Chevrolet Sprint

happy2rv

Huntsville, AL, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/08/19 01:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LokiSukaido wrote:

Thank you for this. And, for everyone else. I thank you, as well. While the main enjoyment of RVing is the traveling and camping, what I meant before was that when completed, she would be something I could go camping with and share that I put in a lot of work. Kind of what was mentioned about restoring a Camaro, or something. It would be a matter of pride. However, it seems that the general consensus is that this is not a realistic idea. I'm hoping that what I have seen looks worse than it really is. However, maybe I will continue to look for something like the beginnings of a skoolie. You did bring up a good point about it being a 30 year old chassis. I haven't been able to really examine well that. So, I may be in for more. However, I'm just trying to get as much info as I can, and take it one step at a time.

There's nothing wrong with this idea. A lot of people rehab Airstreams and end up making money. Problem with those is they will cost you more than a lot of really nice trailers even when they are in pretty bad shape. Point is, you need to start with good bones. You can rebuild cabinets and interior pretty easily. It's not impossible to rebuild chassis, frame, and structure, but it's farm more difficult and far harder to do it safely.

bukhrn

Lanexa, Va

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/08/19 01:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"Is it doable ?"
Anything is doable, but;
1. you need to have a mechanical knowledge & ability, (including electrical,propane,plumbing & heat & AC).
2. You are going to need mega $$$$$$$$ , that you could put towards a usable RV.
As said earlier, most or all of us buy an RV to use,not to sit & be worked on for several years before it can be used.

2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund
You can have my RV, when you pry my cold dead fingers from the Steering Wheel

Chris Bryant

Arden, North Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/19 01:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’ll be a bit contrary- I’m seeing steel frame- cannot tell how badly rusted it is. If it is sound, you just have a major delam issues from major leaks. You would basically just reskin the rig.

You should have an emergency start switch which will jump the house battery to the chassis- make sure the battery leads are well taped.

-- Chris Bryant
My RV Service Blog
The RV.net Blog

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/19 03:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First make sure the darn thing will start and drive. If it won't, walk away. Parts are becoming "hard to come by" for such old designs.

I think the skill set required to salvage this unit is quite extensive. Basically it needs to be stripped to the frame and rebuilt from scratch.

* This post was edited 09/08/19 03:41pm by pianotuna *

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/19 04:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

if this rv has been sitting one year or more? I,d drain all fuel ,by now its junk fuel and you don,t want that in your motor. it,ll ruin your injectors and more.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> What do I need to start this?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS