RV.Net Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Bugs...

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
HadEnough

Traveling. Always.

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/19 08:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow. Thanks for that information. And I didn’t know those things were stink bugs. I see those every fall. They try to come in doors to stay warm. From Florida to New Hampshire I have seen these. And everywhere in between.

They are so big, that I’ve never tried to crush one. I figured it would make a mess. Little did I know it would make a stink. LOL so instead, I just capture them into a cup and whip them outside the door.

Bert Ackerman

Palm Beach

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/19 08:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HadEnough wrote:

Wow. Thanks for that information. And I didn’t know those things were stink bugs. I see those every fall. They try to come in doors to stay warm. From Florida to New Hampshire I have seen these. And everywhere in between.

They are so big, that I’ve never tried to crush one. I figured it would make a mess. Little did I know it would make a stink. LOL so instead, I just capture them into a cup and whip them outside the door.

You don't always have to crush them, a lot of times just picking them up is enough for them to let loose the stink. Although annoying their are plenty of other things that stink a heck of a lot more. Sucking them up with a vacuum will usually result in them letting loose the stank in the vacuum, and it's exhaust will do a fine job of spreading it around.

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/12/19 03:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Whatever birds will eat them, put out a lot of birdhouses for them.
We have one little crew o family of bluish grey feathers with slightly black crest that unfortunately nest on one of our fans on the east porch, they sit n the railings and nearby trees and catch every bug that comes into the area. Don't know if they cthc stink bugs or not. And we have three families of crows that patrol the yard/field every day several times a day catching bugs plus the turkeys, If someone knows what birds eat them then tell us.We have a few stink bugs but no many. I will definatly build bird houses for any birds that will eat them. I had understood not many birds would.

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/12/19 04:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Guineas eat em' Bugs

The farm across the road has about half a dozen guinea fowl that visit me about twice a day. I actually enjoy their visits because they clean up disgusting things under my bird feeders as well as help with the bug population. The sad thing is that there is an occasional fatality when crossing the road. And no, people won't slow down for birds, people or anything else.

DutchmenSport

Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/12/19 06:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Update: Well, since I set the bug bomb off the last time in the camper (like ... last April) ... I've not seen any LIVE ones until TODAY! I don't know what there is about my campers, but they seem to really like them. None on the inside yet, but saw 4 on the outside skin of the camper this after noon. I guess they are coming back now! "That time of year?" Looks like I'll be picking up some extra bug bombs from Dollar General and set them off ever couple weeks. We do stay in the camper, pretty much full time, although we are home. So, I guess, when setting off those bombs, we'll just have to go back to the house for a few hours .... (sigh!).

dhull

apple valley

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/19 07:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I found the darn things in the pleats of air filter for onan generator!

Bert Ackerman

Palm Beach

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/19 07:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DutchmenSport wrote:

Update: Well, since I set the bug bomb off the last time in the camper (like ... last April) ... I've not seen any LIVE ones until TODAY! I don't know what there is about my campers, but they seem to really like them. None on the inside yet, but saw 4 on the outside skin of the camper this after noon. I guess they are coming back now! "That time of year?" Looks like I'll be picking up some extra bug bombs from Dollar General and set them off ever couple weeks. We do stay in the camper, pretty much full time, although we are home. So, I guess, when setting off those bombs, we'll just have to go back to the house for a few hours .... (sigh!).

Yep, that time of year.

When the temperature drops off in the evening, down into the 50's or lower, they go looking for heat. I feel your just wasting time with bug bombs because if it warms up during the day then cools off down into the 50's at night, you're just going to get another group the next evening. It's really a loosing battle in the fall if you're in an area with a high population, and it sounds like you are. A small shop vac in the morning is about the best thing I've found to battle them. They can go through a crack that you can not even see and they will push right through the wiper seals on a slide.

drsteve

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/19 07:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DutchmenSport wrote:

Go easy with the bug bombs. They have a residual effect on humans as well as bugs, and too much can make you and yours sick. Always follow label directions concerning the number to use for the size of the space, and the frequency of use.

Clicky

2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

IdaD

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/19 07:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bert Ackerman wrote:

HadEnough wrote:

Is this mostly in Indiana problem? Because I’m going to avoid that state if so. LOL

Nope. Looks like there is only 5 states you need to consider visiting, not sure how you get from some to the others though.

Wiki.............

The brown marmorated stink bug (Halyomorpha halys) is an insect in the family Pentatomidae, native to China, Japan, the Korean peninsula, and Taiwan. In September of 1998 it was collected in Allentown, Pennsylvania, where it is believed to have been accidentally introduced. The nymphs and adults of the brown marmorated stink bug feed on over 100 species of plants, including many agricultural crops, and by 2010–11 had become a season-long pest in orchards in the Eastern United States. In 2010, in the Mid-Atlantic United States, $37 million dollars in apple crops were lost, and some stone fruit growers lost more than 90% of their crops. It is now established in many parts of North America, and has recently become established in Europe and South America.

By 2009, this agricultural pest had reached Maryland, West Virginia, Virginia, Tennessee, North Carolina, Kentucky, Ohio, Illinois, and Oregon. In 2010 this pest was found in additional states including Indiana, Michigan, Minnesota, and other states.

As of November 2011, it had spread to 34 U.S. states and by 2012 to 40, and showed an increase of 60% in total numbers over 2011.

Their populations have also spread to southern Ontario and Quebec, Canada.

[image]

Interesting. So apparently what I have always known a stink bug to be is actually called a Pinacate beetle, or stink beetle. Native to the southwest and west. They are all over eastern Oregon where I grew up and also southwest Idaho where I live now. I have never seen a "stink bug" as described above, although apparently they are spreading rapidly.

The stink beetles out west are nasty and ugly buggers. Some of them are pretty big and they really can let out a stink.

2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS