RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Towing

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes


Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
dodge guy

Bartlett IL

Senior Member

Joined: 03/23/2004

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/10/19 12:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gswcgi wrote:

If you get into an accident while towing that much over your weighted limit your insurance company will probably tell you to get lost !!


No they won’t. Same could be said if you were speeding and got into an accident.


Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!


Trumpet Player

USA

Senior Member

Joined: 01/08/2006

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 09/10/19 01:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dodge guy wrote:

gswcgi wrote:

If you get into an accident while towing that much over your weighted limit your insurance company will probably tell you to get lost !!


No they won’t. Same could be said if you were speeding and got into an accident.


Now that is a leap if I have ever seen one. Speeding compared to knowingly violating posted certification limits? I wouldn't be so sure about your answer if I were you. And you know this how?


2012 American Coach Revolution


tropical36

Southwest Florida_USA

Senior Member

Joined: 07/11/2004

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/10/19 02:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gswcgi wrote:

If you get into an accident while towing that much over your weighted limit your insurance company will probably tell you to get lost !!

Granted, they may tell you to get lost, if they even have a clue as to weight being a factor or for maybe not wanting to renew your policy next time, but they will have to pay, regardless.


"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)


rk911

Wheaton IL

Senior Member

Joined: 05/30/2004

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 09/10/19 02:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tropical36 wrote:

gswcgi wrote:

If you get into an accident while towing that much over your weighted limit your insurance company will probably tell you to get lost !!

Granted, they may tell you to get lost, if they even have a clue as to weight being a factor or for maybe not wanting to renew your policy next time, but they will have to pay, regardless.

civil suits can be filed by anyone for any reason anytime. but knowingly towing 1400-lbs overweight could be called an ambulance chaser's retirement plan. OP, you do what you want. the fact that you're even asking indicates you have doubts. good luck and be safe.


'73,
rich, n9dko
If Jimmy cracks corn and nobody cares then why does he keep doing it?
_________________________________
_________________________________
2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
'46 Willys CJ2A
'03 Jeep Wrangler TJ
'10 Jeep Liberty KK



tropical36

Southwest Florida_USA

Senior Member

Joined: 07/11/2004

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/10/19 03:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rk911 wrote:

tropical36 wrote:

gswcgi wrote:

If you get into an accident while towing that much over your weighted limit your insurance company will probably tell you to get lost !!

Granted, they may tell you to get lost, if they even have a clue as to weight being a factor or for maybe not wanting to renew your policy next time, but they will have to pay, regardless.

civil suits can be filed by anyone for any reason anytime. but knowingly towing 1400-lbs overweight could be called an ambulance chaser's retirement plan. OP, you do what you want. the fact that you're even asking indicates you have doubts. good luck and be safe.

Again, where's the weak link and if we would have had an Allison 3000 tranny in our old P30, there wouldn't have been an overweight problem.
With checking out the specs on some of the newer Pace Arrow, 40ft DP's, the towing capacity is only 800lbs and all because of the Allison 2500 series tranny. Not that anyone, including the owners, pay it any mind and as long as it doesn't alarm and go into limp mode with overheating. I mean what kind of toad, weighs only 800lbs and assuming that one might be at max. GVWR, before hitching up?

tropical36

Southwest Florida_USA

Senior Member

Joined: 07/11/2004

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/10/19 03:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tropical36 wrote:

rk911 wrote:

tropical36 wrote:

gswcgi wrote:

If you get into an accident while towing that much over your weighted limit your insurance company will probably tell you to get lost !!

Granted, they may tell you to get lost, if they even have a clue as to weight being a factor or for maybe not wanting to renew your policy next time, but they will have to pay, regardless.

civil suits can be filed by anyone for any reason anytime. but knowingly towing 1400-lbs overweight could be called an ambulance chaser's retirement plan. OP, you do what you want. the fact that you're even asking indicates you have doubts. good luck and be safe.

Again, where's the weak link and if we would have had an Allison 3000 tranny in our old P30, there wouldn't have been an overweight problem and one that never created a safety problem in the first place.
With checking out the specs on some of the newer Pace Arrow, 40ft DP's, the towing capacity is only 800lbs and all because of the Allison 2500 series tranny. Not that anyone, including the owners, pay it any mind and as long as it doesn't alarm and go into limp mode with overheating. I mean what kind of toad, weighs only 800lbs and assuming that one might be at max. GVWR, before hitching up?

ncrowley

Utah

Senior Member

Joined: 10/02/2009

View Profile






Posted: 09/10/19 04:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I do not think you should exceed the weight you are supposed to tow. So my advice is to not do it.


Nancy
Newmar Northern Star


PastorCharlie

NC

Senior Member

Joined: 03/28/2004

View Profile





Offline
Posted: 09/10/19 09:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Larrysr1957 wrote:

My question is has anyone pulled a full size pickup with a 35 ft gas motor home I have a 1997 Fleetwood Bounder 34V with a Ford 460 engine and my tow limit is 3500 lbs my truck is 4900 lbs.


I towed a 4,900 lb. pickup with a 35 ft. MH with a 460 motor and 4 speed transmission for a few years and never once had any problem on flat land or mountain. I was under weight on the scales for the combination. Towing 4 down does not put any weight on the hitch only on the pulling and what if any on the stopping. If the auxiliary braking system is properly adjusted it will take all of the towed weight stress off the hitch and MH. Actually it can be set to actually pull back on the MH when stopping thus aiding the MH braking. The three potential stress situations are pulling, stopping and sharp turning. I used a 10,00 lb. Blue Ox hitch and a Brake Buddy brake system for the tow.

If you read the instructions on your hitch it is labeled for tongue weight. Such as you would have if towing a trailer. Not when towing 4 down.

I went to my local DMV with the titles for my current MH and tow and they assured me that as long as I was not over the rated weight for the motorhome and not over the 10,000 tow weight I was in compliance with the law. Your state may differ...my advice is to ask the Department of Motor Vehicles in your area...they will tell you Truth and give you the Facts.

way2roll

Wilmington NC

Senior Member

Joined: 10/05/2018

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/11/19 08:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PastorCharlie wrote:

Larrysr1957 wrote:

My question is has anyone pulled a full size pickup with a 35 ft gas motor home I have a 1997 Fleetwood Bounder 34V with a Ford 460 engine and my tow limit is 3500 lbs my truck is 4900 lbs.


I towed a 4,900 lb. pickup with a 35 ft. MH with a 460 motor and 4 speed transmission for a few years and never once had any problem on flat land or mountain. I was under weight on the scales for the combination. Towing 4 down does not put any weight on the hitch only on the pulling and what if any on the stopping. If the auxiliary braking system is properly adjusted it will take all of the towed weight stress off the hitch and MH. Actually it can be set to actually pull back on the MH when stopping thus aiding the MH braking. The three potential stress situations are pulling, stopping and sharp turning. I used a 10,00 lb. Blue Ox hitch and a Brake Buddy brake system for the tow.

If you read the instructions on your hitch it is labeled for tongue weight. Such as you would have if towing a trailer. Not when towing 4 down.

I went to my local DMV with the titles for my current MH and tow and they assured me that as long as I was not over the rated weight for the motorhome and not over the 10,000 tow weight I was in compliance with the law. Your state may differ...my advice is to ask the Department of Motor Vehicles in your area...they will tell you Truth and give you the Facts.


Not sure what any of this has to do with the OP who is admittedly 1400 lbs over. You say you were underweight on the scales and he admits he's over. Comparing oranges to basketballs.

* This post was edited 09/11/19 09:08am by way2roll *

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

Senior Member

Joined: 03/23/2004

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/11/19 11:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BTW. My MH is rated at 22k lbs (26k lb chassis). Forest River leaves 5k lbs for towing. But the MH has a CCC if 3500lbs. So I’m under the rated weight for a trip. Hat leaves me with the leftover weight for towing a bit more if I need too.
I have to look at the numbers again to give you actual numbers. But I figure I’m good for towing a 6k lb toad. Of course I would have to replace the hitch first.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS