|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> alternator

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
RLS7201

Beautyful Downtown Gladstone, MO

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/19 04:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MEXICOWANDERER wrote:

And the suffix for ANY of these bearings is 2RS meaning sealed both sides. The rear A6000 XX has a pair of Teflon bands on the outside. They fit better.

Some European alternators used a 6202 DRE bearing like the Bosch which is utterly stupid with a serpentine belt tensioner. Good bearings use a BLUE-GREEN polyurea grease like MOBIL 7.

OK I'm out of date on the front bearings but DD was also used by some manufactures for double seal bearings.
6203DD
6303DD

Richard

* This post was edited 09/09/19 05:10pm by RLS7201 *

If I had a dollar for every girl that found me unattractive,
they would eventually, find me attractive.

95 Bounder 32H F53
460/528 stroker
Web Master
MWPSchooners.com

MEXICOWANDERER

las peñas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/19 07:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ZZ is the only approved bearing for 19 years running and way beyond

I had a carton of USSR bearings that spun rough. Then there was Poland bearings which were trouble-free, then green seal SKF, and finally NTN.

Larry202br

Olathe, Ks

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/10/19 05:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MEXICOWANDERER wrote:

ZZ is the only approved bearing for 19 years running and way beyond.

But you also say: "he suffix for metal shielded and not plastic sealed bearings is ZZ. ZZ bearings are definitely not suitable for alternators because of metal and graphite contamination."

Those statements seem contradictory. Can you clarify?

2006 Open Road 316 RLDS-5
2004 F-250 Diesel, short bed, SRW, Crew cab, 3.73 auto.

30sweeds

Iowa

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/19 05:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Victory Lap FDA-04 repair kit,20 bucks,has bearings,brushes.This started with an alarming belt squeak.Thought I had it figured out...3 times! First,AC clutch bearing,no help,idler and tensioner,still squeaking,new belt,nope.Really sounded like the alternator but looked pretty good when apart.I don't know.Will get it done today but don't have a lot of confidence.

MEXICOWANDERER

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/19 07:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yep you are absolutely correct I inversed numbers in a grand error.

ZZ is metal shielded and should NEVER be used

2RS has plastic seals and id the bearing of choice

DD has never been seen by me in over fifty years and tens of thousands of bearings/

I saw this earlier and meant to correct it. Looks like I am going back into the hospital today. Kidneys and adrenals.

MEXICOWANDERER

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/19 03:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you have repeated failures using sealed ball bearings in a dirty environment here's the cure (not hypothesis -- this really works)

Smear a gob of grease onto both sides of the 2RS bearing then install. The gobs of grease act as a barrier and the effect is not subtle.

Rotobrator machine with steel shot for refinishing alternator cases and stripped starter housings.
Exposed bearings lasted 2 weeks in an LS brand rotobrator. Changed bearings gobbed on grease and they lasted 5+ years.

Delco CS-130 exposed rear 6000XX bearing. Common failures. Gobbed grease over exposed side, no more failures. Ever. This cure really works for all exposed bearings/

30sweeds

Iowa

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/19 06:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Victory Lap FDA-04 alt repair kit,G3,has both bearings,20 bucks on Amazon.The problem started with an alarming belt squeak,thought I had it narrowed down....3 times!First was ac clutch bearing,no help.Next was idler and tensioner,no help.Replaced belt,nope.Installing alt bearings today but the old ones were good in my opinion.Hard to really pinpoint the noise with the stethoscope and the water and power steering pump is the only thing left.Any ideas?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> alternator
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS