|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Dodge RAM flywheel

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/10/19 08:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just to add our 2001 with NV4500, replaced the factory clutch at about 240K had just added a DS Power Puck. Installed a Valair DD organic clutch nice clutch except when the pedal was depressed as the floater plate rattled, sounded like a bad throw bearing , my understanding is the SB isn’t as noisy.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/19 09:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DONT keep driving it! It's beating the krap out of your transmission.
Dual Mass setups that fail are notorious for serious trans damage.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins.
2018 Silver Fox 32A.
H0NDA eu2000i

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/19 09:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

memtb wrote:

fj12ryder....... Apology Acepted! memtb
Yes, I do apologize for jumping the gun. I get a little paranoid with the NV5600 because, while they are a decent truck transmission, they do tend to be a bit fragile if not treated properly.

I'll try to do a little more comprehensive reading next time, and notice that it was a 2006 model. Doh.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

memtb

Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/10/19 09:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder, Thanks! I’ve been known to “jump the gun” at times! No harm -no foul! memtb

Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

HadEnough

Traveling. Always.

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/19 03:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just to add to the off topic a moment, Redline MTL is an amazing transmission fluid/lube for the NV5600.

Highly recommend it.

SweetLou

La Quinta, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/19 05:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mote wrote:

rhagfo wrote:

Dual mass flywheel do your self a favor and contact South Bend clutch and see what they offer to rid yourself of it. Maybe a nice dual disk clutch, way less than $4K even with a shop install.

Yep, I would agree.

When I had my 2005, dual mass went out at 75K. I had dealer replace it with the same only because I was dumping the truck. That trans set up needs an after market otherwise it's a POS

2013 3500 Cummins 6.7 Quadcab 4x4 3.73 68FE Trans, 2007 HitchHiker Discover America 329 RSB
We love our Westie

twodownzero

NM

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/19 08:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Use the Valair dual disc ORGANIC clutch. I have the same one in ceramic and it's been very reliable, but it's a bit harsh with the trailer. The same in organic is what you want.

The dual mass clutch on these trucks is absolute garbage. You're going to be so thankful when you get it replaced.

Total cost with labor should be about half what you were quoted, maybe a little more if you have to pay retail for the clutch.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/19 09:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To the OP, your being blissfully ignorant about replacing your clutch. It is, was and should be on borrowed time.
Why the procrastination?
Get a new clutch in it. It’s a 1 day job for any shop and the options are so numerous for the type of clutch you want, you can have your choice of clutch delivered in a few days maybe less depending on your location.
Replace everything, clutch, flywheel, pilot bearing, throwout bearing, pivot ball on the fork, hydraulics and possibly the whole fork arm if it shows ANY wear.
It’s plug n play for everything. Should be 6-8 hrs labor charge certainly no more than 8.

If you’re fickle about this, you have a high likelihood of having it done NOT on your terms when you get towed in.
Remember my first post. You may literally have the highest mile OE clutch out there. How far do you want to push your luck?

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

HappyKayakers

Somewhere in the USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/11/19 12:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for your concern. When I initially posted I didn't realize that the diagnosis was just a guess. I had another diesel mechanic make the same guess about the flywheel....about 5 years ago. Beyond that, I feel no need to explain my reasons for waiting.

Grit dog wrote:

To the OP, your being blissfully ignorant about replacing your clutch. It is, was and should be on borrowed time.
Why the procrastination?
Get a new clutch in it. It’s a 1 day job for any shop and the options are so numerous for the type of clutch you want, you can have your choice of clutch delivered in a few days maybe less depending on your location.
Replace everything, clutch, flywheel, pilot bearing, throwout bearing, pivot ball on the fork, hydraulics and possibly the whole fork arm if it shows ANY wear.
It’s plug n play for everything. Should be 6-8 hrs labor charge certainly no more than 8.

If you’re fickle about this, you have a high likelihood of having it done NOT on your terms when you get towed in.
Remember my first post. You may literally have the highest mile OE clutch out there. How far do you want to push your luck?

Joe and Dakota, the wacko cat
Fulltiming since 2006
2006 Dodge 3500 QC CTD SRW Jacobs Exhaust brake
2017 Open Range 3X388RKS, side porch
http://happykayakers.com/

Procrastinator

Southern Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/12/19 06:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Contact SouthBend Clutch. Complete flywheel, clutch and pressure-plate around $1,200 shipped to you. Ask for who they recommend in your area. $2,500 would be my total cost guess.

X 100. This is the correct answer. If you're going to open up replace it all with high quality and never worry or think about it again.

2018 F150 Max Tow with 6.5 "long" bed.

2019 Coachman Freedom Express Liberty 292BHDSLE

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Dodge RAM flywheel
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS