|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Dometic Penguin 2 - compressor on, fan on, not cooling

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
kmb1966

Lake Charles

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/19 01:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

About a 4 year old Dometic Penguin II. Fan comes on, I hear the compressor kick on, but air is warm. Removed the cover, and the compressor is too hot to touch, cold copper lines are not cold at all.

sayoung

Tx

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/10/19 01:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kmb1966 wrote:

About a 4 year old Dometic Penguin II. Fan comes on, I hear the compressor kick on, but air is warm. Removed the cover, and the compressor is too hot to touch, cold copper lines are not cold at all.

Do you have a meter that test capacitance as well as volts/ohms and a clamp on ammeter or a combo of all of the above ? Without checking it's just a WAG.

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/19 04:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

if you don,t no how to test ,you might call a rv tech in your are ,there a lot better an cheaper than a dealer.and they come to you.

Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/19 04:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would try replacing the run capacitor.

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.

08 HR Navigator 45'
Sold 04 Dynasty after 14 great years.
[url=https://i.

DFord

Near St Louis, MO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/10/19 08:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just because the compressor is hot doesn't mean it's running. Can you hear it running? From what you've said, I don't think it's running.

The small tube coming out of it going to the condenser should be too hot to touch if it is running. If it isn't running, take a look at the capacitors. If the one in a metal can shows ANY sign of bulging, replace it. If there's one in a black plastic container, examine it for signs of damage - they can overheat very quickly and spew wax around before busting the plastic case open. If there's something that says "easy start" on it, it may have failed. The easy start and start capacitor get the compressor turning, the run capacitor keeps it running and reduces the amps drawn by the compressor.

Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/19 09:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ivylog wrote:

I would try replacing the run capacitor.

X2!

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins.
2018 Silver Fox 32A.
H0NDA eu2000i

kmb1966

Lake Charles

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/19 04:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DFord wrote:

Just because the compressor is hot doesn't mean it's running. Can you hear it running? From what you've said, I don't think it's running.

The small tube coming out of it going to the condenser should be too hot to touch if it is running. If it isn't running, take a look at the capacitors. If the one in a metal can shows ANY sign of bulging, replace it. If there's one in a black plastic container, examine it for signs of damage - they can overheat very quickly and spew wax around before busting the plastic case open. If there's something that says "easy start" on it, it may have failed. The easy start and start capacitor get the compressor turning, the run capacitor keeps it running and reduces the amps drawn by the compressor.

I do think the compressor is running. I can hear it kick on a few seconds after the fan starts running. Yes the small tube is very hot (laser thermometer read 170). Bringing it in today to have it looked at.

sayoung

Tx

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/11/19 06:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DFord wrote:

FYI, the RUN capacitor only works at STARTUP. At roughly 70% of full rpm " back electromotive force , EMF " stops current flow thru start winding. .
Yes it's got symptoms of a a bad run cap but again what's the amp draw & voltage ?. Could be a bad wire terminal, locked compressor, on and on.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/19 07:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First thing I would check (And the reason is $$$) is the fan side of the condenser unless it's a coleman (you said it was dometic. See if it'd all clogged with crud. If it is clean it. This requires you go topside and remove the outer cover and often an inner cover to properly inspect. With my XXl hands I have to remove the fan to clean unless I can "Blast" it with Compressed air (keep the PSI in the 2 digit range please).

Then try again..

Why check this first? As I said $$$ To be precise $0.00 dollars (no cost)

All the other possible issues BIG $$$ save start/run cap. and frankly *I do NOT thin that is the problem. (not saying it is not. Just I don't think it is.. I could be wrong).

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

DFord

Near St Louis, MO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/11/19 09:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sayoung wrote:

FYI, the RUN capacitor only works at STARTUP. At roughly 70% of full rpm " back electromotive force , EMF " stops current flow thru start winding. .
Yes it's got symptoms of a a bad run cap but again what's the amp draw & voltage ?. Could be a bad wire terminal, locked compressor, on and on.

https://yorkcentraltechtalk.wordpress.co........ou-ever-wanted-to-know-about-capacitors/
York Central Tech Talk wrote:

The RUN capacitor is wired in series with the start winding of the motor and stays in the circuit all of the time. They are designed to dissipate heat associated with continuous operation of the motor. The whole purpose of the RUN capacitor is to bring the start winding back in phase with the run winding. The start winding is slightly out of phase with the run winding to provide starting torque for the motor. The RUN capacitor also provides “running torque” once the motor is up and running.

As you can see from the information above, the RUN capacitor is ALWAYS IN THE CIRCUIT helping the compressor / fan / any PERMANENT SPLIT CAPACITOR (PSC) motor perform better. sayoung before you start correcting people, educate yourself.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Dometic Penguin 2 - compressor on, fan on, not cooling
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS