RV.Net Open Roads Forum: How do you really judge TV adequacy anymore?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> How do you really judge TV adequacy anymore?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/19 03:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A couple of points.
Yes the 80% rule is a made up rule.... BUT, it is a good one for it's intended purpose.

For the person that is new to trailering, or can't, or doesn't want to be bothered with all of the specifics.... Following this simple 80% rule will generally keep them out of trouble.
That is a good thing.

2500/250 badging. I do not see this going away.
Many HOAs will not allow people to have 1 ton trucks. So a 3/4 ton with 1 ton capabilities will fill this need.

I have a friend that ended up in a HOA. His F350 then became a problem. Changing the badges from F350 to F250 solved it.

* This post was edited 09/11/19 04:56pm by Huntindog *

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2010 Palomino Sabre 30 BHDS
84 gal. Grey. 84 gal. Black
2 bathrooms, no waiting
2011 Silverado CC DA big dually.

4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/19 04:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Huntindog wrote:

A couple of points.
Yes the 80% rule is a made upe rule.... BUT, it is a good one for it's intended purpose.

For the person that is new to trailering, or can't, or doesn't want to be bothered with all of the specifics.... Following this simple 80% rule will generally keep them out of trouble.
That is a good thing.

2500/250 badging. I do not see this going away.
Many HOAs will not allow people to have 1 ton trucks. So a 3/4 ton with 1 ton capabilities will fill this need.

I have a friend that ended up in a HOA. His F350 then became a problem. Changing the badges from F350 to F250 solved it.

Ford offers a no charge 10,000 lb gvwr option on their f350 srw trucks that consists of a different door sticker. I do not see the point of buying or manufacturing HD 3/4 ton diesel trucks but the one ton srw should be badged f250/2500

2017 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/19 05:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How old are you that the 1/2, 3/4, 1 ton designation told you the exact capabilities?

My first pickup was back in 1986 and even back then you had to look at the actual ratings to know the capabilities.

As far as the quirky 1/2 and 1 ton with similar ratings...hook up a trailer that pushes them to the max and drive them cross a mountain range...then come back and tell us how they are the same. 3/4 to 1ton SRW, you might not be able to tell the difference but I'll give you 100-1 odds, you know the difference going 1/2 ton to 1 ton towing at the max rating.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

Mickeyfan0805

SE Wisconsin

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/11/19 07:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

How old are you that the 1/2, 3/4, 1 ton designation told you the exact capabilities?

My first pickup was back in 1986 and even back then you had to look at the actual ratings to know the capabilities.

As far as the quirky 1/2 and 1 ton with similar ratings...hook up a trailer that pushes them to the max and drive them cross a mountain range...then come back and tell us how they are the same. 3/4 to 1ton SRW, you might not be able to tell the difference but I'll give you 100-1 odds, you know the difference going 1/2 ton to 1 ton towing at the max rating.

To your first question, I'm not that old. I didn't mean to suggest that they were ever clear designations in my adult life, simply that they are increasingly blurred and pointless.

To your final paragraph, that is precisely my point. The two vehicles I mentioned in the OP would, essentially, be maxed out with the same trailer - but you can't tell me they truly have the same real-world limitations. So, while I may have distracted the thread with my side-comment about badges, my real question is how do you judge capability.

With the F150 listed in the OP, one could tow an 11k trailer with a family of four and still have 1,000+ pounds of GCVWR and 300+ pounds of GVWR to spare. Do we really think that truck would handle that trailer? If not, ratings don't serve as the realistic judge anymore - which is a challenge for anyone trying to buy a truck in today's market.

Bert Ackerman

Palm Beach

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/19 07:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Other than a mention of axle capacities, what is not mentioned in this thread is the difference between light duty trucks and heavy duty trucks, 150 / 1500 to 250 /2500 and up if you will.

Larger / Heavier frames, brake components, suspension components, drive-line components, a completely different transmission, full floaters, etc. All of that stuff is night and day different. If anyone believes a 1500 truck is just as capable because it has the same or more payload as a 2500 truck, or based any other number like tow ratings, or has some super duper package, they're living in Fantasyland.

spud1957

NB

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/19 08:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x4ord wrote:

I think the manufacturers tow ratings make better sense now than they ever did. The thing people need to be aware of is that HD3/4 tons are identical to 1 tons other than they have less leafs in the rear springs which prevent them from being able to carry much of a trailer. Once the manufactures stop producing these useless 3/4 tons and put the 3/4 ton badging on the 1 ton SRW everything will make sense..... it will be if a half ton won't do it you gets a 3/4 (which will be sprung like a present day 1ton SRW) if the 3/4 ton doesn't cut it you get a 1 ton which means you get duals

The comparison changed in '17+ for Ford. The 350 does have a couple add'l spring leafs but the big difference they changed starting in '17 is the the 350 has a Dana M275 axle. Different from the 250's Sterling.

You are able to get the Dana M275 axle in the 250 if you order the diesel WITH the High Capacity Trailer Tow option.

Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/11/19 08:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x4ord wrote:

but the one ton srw should be badged f250/2500

Why, they have GVWR that put them in class 3 category.

The real question is why newer GM 2500HD with a GVWR beyond Class 2 10K is not a 3500? And why do a lot of GM trim levels not have 2500 or 3500 on the exterior?

2015 RAM 3500 CC SB SRW Our Rig New 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Commuter trailer 2019 Laredo 225MK. Retired and enjoying it!

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/19 09:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ROFL. The only thing blurred is people’s interpretation of the subject who can’t or won’t be bothered with understanding the fundamental differences between the 3 classes of trucks.
Almost Nothing has changed with respect to the fundamental differences between 1/2, 3/4 and 1 ton trucks for, idk, 50 years or more. Yes the capability has generally increased across with each rotation of the earth around the sun, but.....

03 Arctic Fox 860
07 Dodge 2500 deezul
"Obviously I don't want to overload my truck and be unsafe, but the reality is the truck is way more capable than the 10K GVWR they put on the sticker.
KJ"

troubledwaters

Potomac

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/19 10:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bert Ackerman wrote:

..If anyone believes a 1500 truck is just as capable because it has the same or more payload as a 2500 truck, or based any other number like tow ratings, or has some super duper package, they're living in Fantasyland.
Or maybe you're living in fantasyland. A F150/1500 truck is just as capable of towing within its tow rating as a F350/3500 is of towing within its ratings. I believe all models are now tested and rated per J2807 standard.

Bert Ackerman

Palm Beach

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/19 10:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

troubledwaters wrote:

Bert Ackerman wrote:

..If anyone believes a 1500 truck is just as capable because it has the same or more payload as a 2500 truck, or based any other number like tow ratings, or has some super duper package, they're living in Fantasyland.
Or maybe you're living in fantasyland. A F150/1500 truck is just as capable of towing within its tow rating as a F350/3500 is of towing within its ratings. I believe all models are now tested and rated per J2807 standard.

I knew better than to get involved in this foolishness. You all have fun hashing it out, I'm going down to the bar and see if I can get an early bird special on happy hour.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> How do you really judge TV adequacy anymore?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS