RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Tires, again!

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Tires, again!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
mhimber2

NM

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/10/19 07:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 5th wheel is 10 years old and needing some tires. Presently have Michelin xps rib, 245/75 R16. Not sure how long I'm keeping it. Was thinking of getting the Bridgestone Duravis R250, but it looks like they are no longer made. Looking at the GY Endurance ST or the BFG Commercial TA AS2 for replacement, as they are both about the same price. I'm hesitant to go back to ST tires, as I had wear issues on the original Tow Max. No issues at all on the Michelins. What do you all think? Anyone using the BFGs? Thanks!

garyp4951

TN

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/19 08:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GY Endurance would be my choice.

amxpress

Clayton, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/10/19 08:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A viable replacement option with a good reputation:
Sailun S737T 14 ply tires

2007 Dodge RAM 2500 Quad Cab w/6.7 Cummins
2013 Palomino Columbus 320RS
Reese 15K Pro Series manual slide
Prodigy
Firestone Air Bags
Champion 3500 genny
M.I.L is out of state, out of touch, and out of her mind

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/19 08:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There's an ongoing thread about the Endurance tires here: Endurance Tire Thread.

My main criticism toward the Endurance tires is lack of mileage. People who have them seem to be happy with 3-4 years and around 25,000 miles. Not enough life IMO, I expect my tires to last longer than that.

I have no idea what the cost of the tires are, and if you're planning on selling it would be a consideration. And if you're selling the trailer the life of the tires would be moot.

People who have them seem to be happy with them, and they are definitely holding up better, with few, if any, problems normally associated with ST tires in general.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/10/19 09:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The R250 has been replaced by the R238.

Lyle

2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4 6.5' Bed
Banks Bullet Tuner and Monster Exhaust
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 61 Year Member

sayoung

Tx

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/11/19 06:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

amxpress wrote:

A viable replacement option with a good reputation:
Sailun S737T 14 ply tires

+1

jrs1871

Kansas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/11/19 06:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I second the Sailun S637T tire. We put them on our trailer in 2015 and have about 25,000 miles on them. They still look great. But we will replace them next year not because they are wearing out but they are aging out.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/19 07:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have the Sailun tires on my toyhauler. I put them on in 2013, and they still look great.

But the OP gave no weight for his trailer so no way to know if the Sailun would be overkill.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/19 09:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Based on the looks of your RV an "E" tire will be more than enough. GY ENDURANCE has been on the market for over 2.5 years with a STELLAR record. Simply do a search for ENDURANCE Tire failures, you won't find any that are the tires fault. If you do please post it!

If it matters the GY is a US Made Tire!

Here is a recent post from a highly regarded individual.

A couple of thoughts:

Background: I spent the last 10 years of my career analyzing failed tires. It's amazing how much information you can pickup when you look closely and know what to look for. So - Yes - we can tell the difference between a road hazard failure and a structural failure not caused by a road hazard (or 90% of the time, anyway.)

The company I worked for had a good feedback system - known as the adjustment system. We credited dealers for tires they sent back that failed for a variety of reasons, including non-road hazard failures. Since we paid for the shipping, their only cost was the time and effort to fill out the paperwork. We got enough tires back to be able to plot year to year progress, and our data reached back decades.

To give you guys a feel for the volume of data we had, the production levels every year were in the 10's of millions, so even a 0.01% return rate meant thousands of tires.

One of the things we noticed was a consistent year to year return pattern. Returns for non-road hard failuires was tied to the summer heat. We hardly got any retirns in November to March.

Returns peaked in the third year after production, but you could get a quantifiable sense of how well a tire was doing after the second year.

I also spent a lot of time purusing the internet to get a feel for the amount of complaints conmpared to what was being sent back to us. It was clear that the complaint level was small compared to the quantity of tires we got back, but you could kind of gauge the relative performance.

Having said that, I started tracking the on-line reports of failures of the Goodyear Endurance ST tire line when it was introduced in the fall of 2016. That means the first production is in the last few months of the 3rd summer, and the second year of production is in the 2nd year. Because I have not seen any reported non-road hazard failures - compared to previous reported failures for the Marathon, I am declaring that Goodyear has fixed whatever problem they had with their ST tires.

CapriRacer

Visit my web site: www.BarrysTireTech.com

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

twodownzero

NM

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/19 10:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I will reiterate the Goodyear Endurance recommendation. I would avoid Chinese tires, no matter what brand is on the sidewall and no matter how many people tell you're they're okay. That includes all steel Chinese tires. As a bonus, the Goodyears are rated for more weight than your current LT tires and plenty of speed (87 mph).

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Tires, again!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS