|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Battery question

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
tuna fisher

joshua tree ,ca.

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/19 08:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the quick answers to my problem. I'll do a load test on the battery to ck. it's condition, to start. Yes it's a cheap meter.

2001 GMC DM, 1995 Lance Lite, @005 Eclipse Toyhauler, Toy's!">

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/11/19 08:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Normal. 13.5 is charging, 12.7 full charge resting, 12.2 60% charge in use. You are good to go and the solar is working well for you.

The 12 Volt Side of Life

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/19 09:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You’re saying it reads 12.5v in the morning but won’t run the heater.
Doesn’t make sense. Or are you saying you run the heater and kill the battery quickly?

03 Arctic Fox 860
07 Dodge 2500 deezul
"Obviously I don't want to overload my truck and be unsafe, but the reality is the truck is way more capable than the 10K GVWR they put on the sticker.
KJ"

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/19 10:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

turn the heater on from a minute or two to "shed" the surface charge, then take a voltmeter reading... or better yet get a good quality hydrometer.

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/19 10:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

12.5 volts should be enough to run the heater. Maybe check the voltage while a helper turns on the heater.

1996 Suburban 4x4. 350, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/19 03:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RE Cheep meters.. Now long ago and far away (Well not that far,,,Tekonsha MI and I'm not near (but not in) FLint) I had a very nice very "Consistant" Vacuum Tube Volt Meter (RCA WV77e)

It came with calibration instructions Today I use hand held not plug in meters. But the calibration test procedure should still work.. A brand new Carbon Zinc D-cell (Well you could use an aaa for that matter but the D will give a more accurate calibration on a cheap meter. Alas. What I forget is the voltage. I do recall it is not 1.5 but something else The manual for the WV77e Will tell you what it is

For a full lab calibration there are several things used

A variable voltage source hooked to a mercury cell via a Galvanometer (Amazing I got the spelling right) Hook meter under test to the variable source and adjust so the very very very very sensitive Galvanometer shows NO current flow.. Reading on meter should be voltage stamped on mercury cell.

Done that too.. 50 years ago.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

ajriding

st clair

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/19 06:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would not suspect a meter is the issue. I have never seen a bad one, but maybe there are bad ones.

Will your heater run at sunset? Will it run in the daytime?

Check that the wiring going to the heater is sufficient. Sometimes wires get broken (where there is just a few strands left), or corroded, and the wire can no longer carry the amps needed to power the propane fan motor (I think is what you have, not a electric one)

The fan motor on a propane heater should run even below 12 volts, though audibly slower.

tuna fisher

joshua tree ,ca.

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/19 06:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

You’re saying it reads 12.5v in the morning but won’t run the heater.
Doesn’t make sense. Or are you saying you run the heater and kill the battery quickly?
It will run the heater fine but kills the battery quickly.

tuna fisher

joshua tree ,ca.

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/19 06:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

Normal. 13.5 is charging, 12.7 full charge resting, 12.2 60% charge in use. You are good to go and the solar is working well for you.

The 12 Volt Side of Life
Good read, thanks for posting.

ajriding

st clair

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/19 08:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It will run the heater fine but kills the battery quicklyIt will run the heater fine but kills the battery quickly.

I cannot help further.
The heater motor is a big amp draw, but should run off and on all night then be dead by morning. I have two batteries and even when they were new the heater would draw down the voltage quickly. On very cold nights when it would run half the time both batts would be pretty low by morning and the lights would be half as dim,though I had an ARB electric fridge running too, but it would not draw a lot of power on a cold night.

I would take the battery in to a auto parts store and have them load test it. Those test are not perfect, but will possibly identify issues. They will also want to fully charge it with a high quality batt charger, so you leave it, let them charge it, then they test it. At the least you get a free quality charge…

* This post was edited 09/12/19 07:29pm by ajriding *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Battery question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS