RV.Net Open Roads Forum: School me in public parks camping...

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> School me in public parks camping...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
Mickeyfan0805

SE Wisconsin

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/11/19 02:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm woefully embarrassed to admit that, after 10 years of camping, we have extraordinarily minimal experience with county/state/national parks. We've always done the 'rv park' thing. The kids are older now, however, and the activities and attractions of the commercial park doesn't have the same draw. So, I'd like to begin broadening our exposure. I am, however, utterly ignorant in the matter.

How do you find out what hookups they have and if they take reservations? Does any of this happen online, or is it all still a phone call? Is it realistic to look for parks with full hook-ups, or are those pretty few and far between? Where do I start when I know what area I want to hit? Is rvparkreviews good for these as well, or am I better off looking at other resources?

Don't shame me, it's just not been our bag to date, and I'd like to learn more. I don't even know what I don't know so, please, tell me!

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/19 03:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can look it up.
Co, state and national parks sometimes have hookups, water, power, sewer, or sometimes water and power. Often they have no hookups. Then you need to fill your water tank and bring a generator and/or solar panels.

ependydad

Here and there

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/11/19 03:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Generally speaking, I'll hit CampgroundReviews.com (aka RVParkReviews) and Campendium.com to find parks that I like in an area. I think Campendium allows me to filter down by the type of park I want (or I'll just do it by price as public parks are usually less expensive).

From there, I read reviews and if it still sounds like some place I want to visit, I'll go to the park's website (as linked to in the listing). For us, we're looking for spots that are "big rig" friendly (44' toy hauler fifth wheel).

This will let you start to see what kind of registration options there are and will let you get details on what services are available. You may find that some parks offer a range of services at their sites (we've been to public parks with water/electric/sewer and others down to just electric; we haven't been ready to break that electricity "need"). Sometimes registration is online, sometimes it's by phone. One it's by phone and then you mail a deposit check (Sharon Johnston Park in northern Alabama).

Generally speaking, the sites have been spacious and really nice.

2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2012 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: B&W Turnover Ball + Companion
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/19 03:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can see why you're asking. I went to the Wisconsin state parks reservation website. Link

And the site absolutely stinks. you have to drill down to an individual campsite before you find out if it has any kind of hookups.

1996 Suburban 4x4. 350, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

3boxerss

Northwest Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/19 03:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

in ohio its https://ohiostateparks.reserveamerica.com/ But I bet if you just type in the state and state parks in search bar it will take you there.example indianastatepark..The park website will tell you the amenities.. We camp mostly in state parks..

Cyn & Bill & Thor, our Boxer
2017 Wildwood XLite 201BHXL
2016 Ford F250
Previous Camper 2001 Bantam B19 by Trail Lite

DutchmenSport

Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/11/19 03:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I haven't checked every state in the Union, but most states have a state DNR web site with links to their campground information. A lot of them will direct you to ReserveAmerica where you put in your desired dates, size of your equipment and you can do various searches. When you find a campsite that looks interesting, you'll be looking at a map. The sites on the map are links that will open up more information about that site: length of parking pad, width, electric hook-up (or no hook up), distance to bath houses, sewer hook-ups, distance to a water source, and usually a photo or two of the actual site. It will also tell you if the site is on a slope, level, on gravel, asphalt, or concrete.

Once you find a site that looks interesting and seems to meet your needs, you can go to Google Maps to the satellite view and drill down to the campsite to get a feel for trees and obstructions in the way. It helps make an intelligent decision before actually booking the site (reservation).

That's how we do it, as we are primary State Park campers. If doing an over night at a KOA we just call in earlier in the day, and let them assign a sight. I don't think we've ever had a back-in site at a KOA. KOA's are always full hook-up. But, you are pretty much at the mercy of where they want to put you. But for an overnight, they work great.

Private campgrounds, you just have to call them individually after checking their web site if they don't have their own on-line reservation system (which ... very few, if any do.)

Airdaile

On The Road

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/19 03:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Camp Ground Reviews has all the facts on price, hookups, things to do, etc. On the page for a campground, there's link to the campground web site. It's usually some state website or recreation.gov where you may have to navigate around to find the right park and then look for the reserve a site button. Most will take you to reserveamerica.com which is adequate for reserving but not great for maps.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/11/19 03:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Federal parks:

https://www.recreation.gov/

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/11/19 03:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For state parks check their state parks website: google "Florida state parks" for example, most but not all take reservations via the ReserveAmerica Website. And that will have info on camp sites and parks too. Federal parks take reservations via recreation.gov. All of this happens online.

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Lwiddis

Bishop, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/11/19 04:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why be so concerned with hookups? Outfit your RV to be able to do at least three nights without hookups. Solar for battery charging, full fresh water tank with two 5 gallon Jerry cans, and water use discipline will let you be free to go where you wish.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2019 Chevy Silverado LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - old MOS 1542 & 1560.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> School me in public parks camping...
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS