RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Anyone haul camper with Ram SRW 3500 2wd factory air bag ?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Anyone haul camper with Ram SRW 3500 2wd factory air bag ?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
MTK251

S. San Francisco,Ca. USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/19 06:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a Lance 850 that I haul on a 2002 Dodge 2500 with upgraded suspension.
Recently I have been looking at 4th Generation Ram trucks. I found a 3500 SRW 2wd that has
the factory air bag system. Just wondering how they would handle a slide in camper that
weighs about 3000-3500? I'm pretty sure you can't adjust the pressures in the bags.
I know how to get the regular leaf spring setup to work. But this new system will probably be hard to modify if it doesn't handle a camper. Any info is appreciated. thanks

twodownzero

NM

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/19 07:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm pretty sure virtually all newer SRW trucks are rated at or near 4k in payload. The 2wd models might even have more than that.

ajriding

st clair

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/19 08:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The air bags should self-adjust to maintain ride height, which is what most people do with air bags, so it will increase air bag pressure when the TC is loaded. Same effect.

SRW is not a big issue, yes DRW will be more stable, but so will a class 8 truck…
You are more than adequate to carry a TC…

otrfun

Desert SW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/12/19 09:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not aware of any problems/complaints with the 3500 air suspension. Availability of aftermarket suspension parts/upgrades are much more limited (vs. non-air). Although I don't think it's continuously adjustable, I believe it does have 2-3 presets that will vary the height somewhat.

My guess a 3500 SRW 2WD should have over 4,000 lbs. of payload in the lower trim levels. May drop below 4k with a higher trim level due to the weight of the additional options. It should handle a 3000-3500 lb. loaded camper just fine. If 3,000-3,500 is the camper's empty weight, then you're probably looking at 4,000 - 4,500 lbs. loaded.

work2much

Jackson Ca

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/19 09:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 3500 DRW with the factory air. If I was buying a new truck to haul a TC I would go with the std suspension with the beefier leaf springs compared to the factory air. We have noticeable more sway on our 2017 ram with factory air than we did on our 2004 ram DRW with leafs. That's with a direct comparison on an Arctic Fox 1150. Also the factory air bags are not adjustable past a simple selction switch that can lower the bed about 2 inches. A feature more for 5th wheels. Also no side to side adjustment to level the camper side to side.

You can always add airbags or other aftermarket load leveling devices on the std leaf version. The factory air is more limited in suspension upgrades. There is finally a sway bar available and that helps.

Just my 2c after using both extensively.

2017 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.
2018 Host Mammoth. 1080 Watts solar. 600 AH usable LFP battery. Magnum 2800 Watt inverter.
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited toad.

finsruskw

Earlville, IA

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/19 09:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am right at 14K ready to camp with our 2015 Ram 3500 DRW 4x2 Cummins powered with Laramie Longhorn trim level in a crew cab and hauling a Lance 1181
Love it, love it, love it!!

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/19 10:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Small camper like that, the air assist would do fine, IMO. Much heavier though and you’d be better off with a full set of leafs in lieu of the half set on the 3500 air trucks

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

97chevor

US

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/19 10:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would think the air ride would make handling in the wind a nightmare.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/19 12:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

97chevor wrote:

I would think the air ride would make handling in the wind a nightmare.

All 13' tall semi-trailers do it just fine.

Gary Morency

windsor ontario

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/19 05:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not a nightmare at all been out to AZ last winter in lots of high winds the only thing I did was change the 1in bumpstops to 2in that made a big difference turning corners and comeing out of fuel stations

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Anyone haul camper with Ram SRW 3500 2wd factory air bag ?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS