RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Is flooded equalization charge always timed?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Is flooded equalization charge always timed?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
wopachop

lb

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/19 06:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have (2) of the 6v interstate costco batteries. Would like to do an equalization charge on them. Using the Trojan users guide for directions.

Trojan is saying to equalize for 2-4 hours. But it also says to test specific gravity every hour and stop charging when the SG no longer rises.

Im using a charger designed more for the RC hobby. (icharger 308duo) It has a Pb mode, and i just figured out a way to trick it into charging at 16.17v by telling the charger its a 7cell 14 volt battery and adjust the volt per cell spec to 2.31v.

I seems to work. Within a couple minutes i noticed a smell and could hear the batteries boiling. Stopped and will move them outside before ever doing that again. Theyre currently in the garage with just a side door open.

The charger does have the option to stop charging when the charge current falls to a certain percentage of the set charge current.

I watched the charger and it went up to about 13amps and fell to around 9 within the first 3 minutes.

What is the correct procedure.
1. Start 16.2v constant voltage charge.
2. After 1 hour STOP the charge.....wait a couple minutes???....then test specific gravity? Trojan doesnt actually say to disconnect the charger before testing.

Or since the batteries are only 7 months old should i do a 1 hour equalization charge and call it good? (seems like a lot of people on here mention doing a 1 hour equalization charge once a month)

Or....can you stop equalizing when the charge current falls to a certain percentage of C20? Which might correlate to when the specific gravity stops rising.

Suppose i could test all that myself by recording charge current and testing SG. After a few times i might recognize a pattern. For example maybe specific gravity stops rising when the charger falls to 4amps on a 210ah battery. So end charge current could be set to 2 percent.

Whole reason for asking is to keep the hydrometer use to a minimum and to keep the equalization charge time to minimum.

Thanks for any advice!!

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/19 07:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No, it depends on how sulphated they are how much time it takes. Can take hours and hours, or only a little time. No points given for using less time or fewer dips with an hydrometer. Do what it takes!

Doesn't matter how new the batts are. It's all about how they have been recharged recently. If several 50-90s in a row they will be undercharged and need Equalizing. Same thing if on solar for a week or so doing shallow cycle 75-95s and never quite get to true full. (Solar is notorious for daily undercharging)

It is all about what the hydrometer says once back home on shore power, when the charger says they are full and the hydrometer says otherwise--not full yet!

Always believe the hydrometer and the SG over "fake news" charger "fulls".

EDIT- Forgot to add: The SG it stops rising at is not your "baseline SG", but is lower than that. When equalizing the electrolyte heats up so is less dense and the hydrometer floats lower. Next morning when it all cools down, NOW you can see if it is at baseline SG (your SG when truly full)

* This post was edited 09/11/19 07:52pm by BFL13 *

1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
See Profile for House electronics set-up.

red31

Bryan

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/19 07:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Corrective Equalization & Instructions (rolls battery)

http://support.rollsbattery.com/support/........430-corrective-equalization-instructions

wopachop

lb

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/19 08:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Embarrassed to even ask this. Do you check SG while its charging?

If no, how long do you wait? I read both Trojan and Rolls instructions. Neither mention a cool down period or mention stopping the charge before taking a reading.

MEXICOWANDERER

las peñas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/19 09:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Readings in some cells may be slightly elevated due to electrolyte temperature (Ex. 1.280) and will return to normal when cooled but should not exceed 1.30.

SHAME ON ROLLS! This statement is idiotic and I'll try to get them to correct it. No guarantees. The warmer the liquid the LESS dense it becomes. I was an executive member of BCI Battery Council International.

WRONG WRONG WRONG equalization protocol. The following is a decades-old and correct equalization protocol.

USE GLOVES, GOGGLES and have baking soda handy. Wool clothing is immune to battery acid.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

You need to have a decent hydrometer and if you intend to go any further get one. Otherwise, go to another thread. You need an accurate voltmeter.

1. Charge all batteries until they're as full as can be.

2. Dip every cell and choose the LOWEST cell on each battery. By dipping only one cell this saves an enormous amount of dipping. The weakest cell if what I term THE WEAK SISTER CELL.

3. You MUST MUST MUST use a formula derived charge in amperage. Exact amps, not guesswork. This is a scientific formula not slop guesswork.

4. 5% rule apply amperage equal to FIVE percent of total battery amp hours. 100 A/H = 5 amps 200 A/H 10 amps. In the end, I'll furnish a tip on how to do this.

5. Uncap the cells. Apply correct amperage and maintain it.

6. Periodically dip the weak sister cell. Some batteries have required TWENTY HOURS TO DESULFATE!!!

7. When the voltage reaches 16.0 or the weak sister cell archives at it's highest specific gravity stop the charge whichever occurs first. The gravity density will go UP as the battery cools. Allow 4 hours.

8. If the battery reaches 16.0 and the electrolyte is still weak stop flogging a dead horse. Excercise over. Stow the battery as a trade-in core.

9. Ampere limiting is done through a 12-volt screw-in light bulb. NAPA carries them. It is placed between battery positive post and battery jesus charger positive jaws. Negative is not used here except straight from the charger negative and connect to battery negative. This entire circuit is SERIES meaning inline with a positive start and positive circuit finish.

10. Voltage should rise slowly but surely. Stop at 16.0 or if the weak sister responds and climbs to 1.270. Remember it will keep rising on its own as it cools and saturates the plates.

Jesus, now even Rolls has gone and done a face plant in The BOOK of STUPID .

wopachop

lb

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/19 09:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Interesting Mex. I did build myself a light bulb amp limiting dealio for rc planes/helis. It was a safety device. After soldering things together you do the initial power up with a small light bulb.

If it lights up when you plug in the battery, there is a problem. But only 2amps makes it through so you dont fry the electronics.

What you want to see is no light bulb at all.

Looks like I need to solder up a configuration of bulbs that are close to 10amps for my 210ah batteries.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/19 10:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wopachop,

The ideal gassing voltage would be when there is 1 bubble per second. Going too high in voltage may cause extra shaling from the positive plates.

You want to "dance on the needles" for the most "bang for the buck".

Mex has given you wonderful guide lines to follow. Ignore them at your peril.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

MEXICOWANDERER

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/19 10:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

100 watt light bulb perfect as they are rated for 12 volts

MEXICOWANDERER

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/19 08:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Departing a 3-hour drive to the hospital soon this has to be fast. Kidneys.

Charge batteries current limited until weak sister cell can rise no higher or 16.0 volts is reached then the charge MUST be stopped. Remember the gravity will continue to rise modestly.

A 12.50 battery mixed in with 1.280 batteries is not good. Usually, a 1.250 cell will bubble earlier and more vigorously. This is antimony poisoning and nothing can be done.

This is why it is so important to ID the weak sister cell on any flooded battery and mark it for reference.

And to reiterate strongly it is calculated AMPERAGE constant amperage that is used for equalization.

It is a time amperage amplitude chemical recipe and you do not know the time so you hydrometer and see the effects.

If this is too complex for you, consider AGM where everything is done by meter.

Got to go. I have a ride crossing the border. I am praying for some miracle antibiotic injection and more miracle pills. Five courses of different medicines have had 0 effect.

Boon Docker

Mountain Foothills of South Western Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/19 09:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wishing you the best Mex, stay safe.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Is flooded equalization charge always timed?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS