|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Almost finished my build, need help finishing up

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
sasq40

alberta

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/19 09:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So our camping season is coming to an end but doesn't mean I need to stop working on the camper! I bought the truck in June and have been tweaking it to getting it just the way I want in. Right now I'm tying the camper down to the deck with some modified torkkift tie downs. The trucks a 2009 f550 that drives like a tank.

Now I'm looking so some help with a few things.

First thing, how's this hitch look for using a extension to haul a trailer with my jeep in it? I was thinking about getting my welder to weld a 2.5 receiver on the the hitch (I own the Reese 2.5x2 cut to 24") and building a extension similar to the torklift. My main concern is that the hitch only mounts to the side of the frame and not in top, but he truck was used as a hotshot truck so I'm assuming it towed some decent loads with that hitch.

* This post was edited 09/11/19 09:20pm by sasq40 *

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/19 09:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am welder as well and I do have education in construction design, but I would hesitate to DIY something as crucial as tow hitch.
You might be good in building, but imagine potential for trouble in case of accident.
Bite the bullet and order superhitch from Torklift.

sasq40

alberta

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/19 09:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm trying to post the pics of the rig but the forum is have a heck of a time letting me post anything

sasq40

alberta

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/19 09:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Second thing. I got a bunch of tools boxes I'm wanting to mount on the truck. I have 2 options and two pictures showing what I want. The first option is to mount one 48 box on the deck and the 36 other box underneath. The other option which I like better is a 48 and 36on the deck and mount a 48 I have under the deck, but I'm unsure how to mount the camper to the deck If I do it that way as the angle of the tie downs makes it really hard to mount without modifying the boxes.

Third and final issue I'm having is my a/c is sagging on the rear. I installed it last year (I know a little big but I bought it used for grand less then a new one) I was looking at maybe making a h frame similar to this http://store.motocorv.com.au/roof-mounted-h-frame what's the best way to tackle this?

sasq40

alberta

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/19 09:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[image][image][image][image][image]

* This post was last edited 09/13/19 02:10pm by sasq40 *   View edit history

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/19 10:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First, if you add a space and width=600 in the img tag, it /will help the screen format right for the rest of us. [emoticon]

I suppose you have to make your own hitch for a chassis frame. I don’t think it would be that big of an issue for a great welder if you overbuild it.

As far as the boxes go, how much weight do you plan to put in them? Ujnless you plan to put a lot in them, there isn’t any reason to put them low. And if that is the case, you’ll likely have to reinforce the boxes. I’d look at som commercial solutions like the Douglas bodies to see if you can copy them or buy from them. http://www.douglasstruckbodies.com/mobile/#page-gallery

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

sasq40

alberta

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/19 07:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

K I'll redo them, wasn't sure what size was best. As far as the weight of the boxes there covered for what ever I throw at them, there meant to be mounted under the deck of a semi so there designed properly. I'm just trying to find the best way to mount everything to the deck

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/19 08:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looks like you are putting camper COG behind the axle, than you will have stinger, so putting boxes behind rear axle can stretch rear axle capacity even on dually.
Push the boxes as far up front as you can.

ticki2

NH

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/19 11:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reese titan hitches for chassis cab trucks .

'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/19 12:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Something wrong went with resizing when square tubing shows rectangular.
Your original hitch has only 4 bolts that hold it to frame on small spread and lacks diagonal pieces who would stiff up whole thing.
If you want to go DIY route, for referral I can take pictures how Ford did it on my 25,000 lb hitch.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Almost finished my build, need help finishing up
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS