|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Mountain Towing

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
steelhunter

North Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/19 11:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

steelhunter wrote:

GraySwain wrote:

The wife and I are about to purchase our first camper. Most likely a 5th wheel. A friend mentioned, since we will be towing in the mountains some, to stay small for weight and maneuverability. Considering the steep grades is a 3/4 ton necessary even for something as light as light as +/-7200lbs? Any and all opinions on towing in the mountains would be appreciated. Not opposed to a 3/4 if we have to but almost certainly not going the diesel route. Thanks

For a 7200lb trailer a 3/4 is an
imperative under any circumstances.

I misread Grayswain's post.
What I stated is incorrect.

Apologies to all.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/19 12:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^ Turns out you really weren't too off base, just thinking ahead! By the time you posted this, the OP specified dry weight and a TT.
Anyway his post was about towing in the mountains and what to expect, mainly.
Bottom line, same setup required basically if you're towing flat as a board across Kansas or in the mountains. TV capable of the size of trailer and some good trailer brakes mixed with common sense.

Specifically though, and admittedly not on the OP's radar, but since the query is about best way to handle the mountains, a (gasp) Diesel with an Exhaust Brake IS heads and tails better and more comfortable towing experience once you're roller coaster towing. Period.

You can absolutely tow safely with a gasser, but how comfortable do you want it to be?
It's like the difference between a push mower and a rider. Both will do the job safely. Both will leave the lawn looking good when you're done. 1 will require more effort and less comfort.

"Aint no mountain high enough....aint no valley low enough...."
Can't sing that song in a gasser, lol.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

ACZL

UPstate,NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/18/19 08:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IdaD wrote:

I'd get a SRW 3/4 or 1 ton. More truck for similar money, and they will tow a lot nicer than a half ton. Only downside is a rougher ride and, if gas, poorer fuel economy. It also gives you the option of getting a larger trailer in the future without having to change tow vehicles too, which would save you money and hassle.

I 2nd this statement.

2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

memtb

Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/18/19 07:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You will never regret going with at least a 3/4 ton. It’s pretty difficult to get too much truck. Also, if you actually do quite a bit of mountain towing.....you would “very quickly” learn to appreciate a diesel. Obviously, this is MO......If you went 3/4 or 1 ton and diesel, could easily move up into a larger more comfortable 5er. Of course, larger....is not for everyone! memtb

Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

1320Fastback

Vista, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 09/19/19 12:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Larger isn't for everyone but one thing I love about a diesel in the mountains is the power and engine braking. My experience with mountains is the California Grape Vine, Alpine east of San Diego, the 17 mile grade in the desert heading to Las Vegas where air temps will be 90+.

None of these require but one gear shift out of overdrive and going down hill leaving it in overdrive even at 6% grade it still slows by itself without use of the brakes. Can only imagine a Diesel truck that isn't 27 years old would only be better [emoticon]

1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

Campinghoss@51

Windsor NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/19/19 05:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would look at the srw 1 tons in whatever brand you prefer. No one can actually say you will do this BUT you may find in a year or two you would like a nicer fiver which means a little heavier. I don't think you will disappointed if you did not have to change tow vehicles.

No you don't have to have a diesel but if you do jump in you will be glad you did.

Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucky & Lucie

Dave H M

IL

View Profile

Posted: 09/19/19 07:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[emoticon] I think we ought to describe what "mountain towing" is.

Like what type of grades and what duration. Always, seldom?

GraySwain

Ever Changing

View Profile

Posted: 09/19/19 07:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dave H M wrote:

Probably around 3 months each year we will spend in NC,VA,TN mountains. We have purchased the 5er. Dry weight is 6710. The rest of the time spent towing will be mostly highways and predominantly flat. Was thinking a half ton with air bags and a tuner will get me by but I understand all the reasons above to go for the 3/4 ton. Trying to avoid the purchase and maintenance cost of a diesel (buying used) and would prefer the mpg of a half ton.

1320Fastback

Vista, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 09/19/19 12:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dave H M wrote:

To me mountain towing is 6%+ grade and miles long in duration. Not really a hill that momentum will take you up and over.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/19/19 02:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1320Fastback wrote:

Dave H M wrote:

To me mountain towing is 6%+ grade and miles long in duration. Not really a hill that momentum will take you up and over.
Depends also on the road speed due to curves. Expectations on a curvy 25 to 40 mph road will be different than a 70 mph interstate.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Mountain Towing
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.