RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Big Brother- Tag on your TC?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Big Brother- Tag on your TC?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/19 10:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SidecarFlip wrote:

Having your plate under the camper overhang could be a violation if stopped, the law states the plate should be in 'plain view' of any LE officer at any time. ..

"Plain view" is leaving lot to personal interpretation.
The factory plate holder under 4" square TC bumper is not visible till you walk at least 25' back.
I actually ask LEO about it and he said he doesn't see any problem with it.
PO actually made mounting bolts on bumper fascia, but than there is no light for them, so I prefer to put plates under.

monkey44

Cape Cod, MA and Central Fla

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/19 11:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our overhang covers our Florida plate, but you can see it if you stand back a little. Front plate not required. We pay tolls when asked, or the drop boxes. We drive thru when it's a drive thru and have crossed this country more times than I can count. Have never received a 'toll bill' from any state.

Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

Photomike

Southern Alberta or where the camper is parked!

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/19 12:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

SidecarFlip wrote:

Having your plate under the camper overhang could be a violation if stopped, the law states the plate should be in 'plain view' of any LE officer at any time. ..

"Plain view" is leaving lot to personal interpretation.
The factory plate holder under 4" square TC bumper is not visible till you walk at least 25' back.
I actually ask LEO about it and he said he doesn't see any problem with it.
PO actually made mounting bolts on bumper fascia, but than there is no light for them, so I prefer to put plates under.

For this one there seems to be the law and then there is what is enforced.

The law in most places is that the plate "must be easily visible and lit". BUT all the police I asked about my truck and camper could not see anything wrong with it being 12" under the camper.

That being said I carry a bike rack that goes into the hitch. Sold by every hardware, sporting goods store, etc. Last year a guy here got a ticket as it covered up his plate and it stood in court. He did not even have any bikes on the rack at the time, and you could see his plate but not 100%. I asked some police about it and they said they would never issue a ticket for it.

I think it is how bored or miserable the officer is that day. Or wait till some government official finds out all the money they are missing from truck campers and then there will be a crack down. I am sure that it adds up to a pile [emoticon][emoticon][emoticon]

2017 Ford Transit
EVO Electric bike
Advanced Elements Kayaks

RobG

Mesa, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/19 12:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you drive a pickup, leave your tailgate down all the time. Your plate will be almost always be invisible to cameras mounted at any height. I remember specifically triggering a red light camera in Oakland many years ago... my tailgate was down, and I never got anything in the mail about a ticket.

2019 Arctic Fox 992 Truck Camper
2006 Keystone Raptor 3814SS 5th Wheel Toyhauler (live in it fulltime)
2005 Dodge RAM 3500 Quad Cab Dually 4x4 SLT 6sp
A quad, a few motorcycles, and a dog.

Travels with Yoly

North Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/19 12:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you're traveling Interstate 75 crossing the bridge between Kentucky and Indiana they get you both directions. They mail us a bill about 6 weeks later and Yoly pays it online. The notice that they send you includes the photo used for ID. I consider the $6.35 fee as payment for the nice drone shot I get of the camper going over the bridge. One time we drove across the bridge on our way to Travel Lite (northern Indiana) where we picked up our camper. I noticed an increase in the fee on the way back with the camper versus on the way there with no camper. I really don't know if that was because of the "cargo increase" or a time of day/night fee variation ?

I once sold a boat (and trailer) to a guy from Florida. He came up to GA to pick it up. A couple months later I start getting toll bills from all over Florida. I forgot to take my trailer tag off. Straightening out that mess was not a fun exercise.

mike/kellie

northern calif.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/17/19 01:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

somewhat related

I heard the numbers to how this "gap" in registration has re-cooped a lot of money

2015 Host Mammoth triple slide w/ TorkLift Fastguns
2015 Ram 5500 SLT cab & chassis with Douglass 9' utility body

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/19 01:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Travels with Yoly wrote:

One time we drove across the bridge on our way to Travel Lite (northern Indiana) where we picked up our camper. I noticed an increase in the fee on the way back with the camper versus on the way there with no camper. I really don't know if that was because of the "cargo increase" or a time of day/night fee variation ?.

When some bridge tolls change depends of day of the week & time, sometimes human perception plays big role.
I used to have 3-axle equipment hauler, who crossing CA bridges with 5 axles would cost me $25 each time.
I bough couple of air bags and made a system when empty trailer would ride on single axle only. (that had tire wear on mind, so saving on tolls was side effect)
Automatic road sensors would charge me for 3 axles, but would I try to go to live person, they would charge me for 5 axles, because that is what they would see.
Same was with bus having liftable tag.
With tag lifted the 16 tons bus would pay the same $5 fee cars do.
With tag down it was $15 commercial fee.

Bedlam

PNW

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/19 02:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Photomike wrote:

That being said I carry a bike rack that goes into the hitch. Sold by every hardware, sporting goods store, etc. Last year a guy here got a ticket as it covered up his plate and it stood in court. He did not even have any bikes on the rack at the time, and you could see his plate but not 100%. I asked some police about it and they said they would never issue a ticket for it.

I think it is how bored or miserable the officer is that day. Or wait till some government official finds out all the money they are missing from truck campers and then there will be a crack down. I am sure that it adds up to a pile [emoticon][emoticon][emoticon]

Over 15 years ago I pulled over in a neighboring town for an obstructed license plate. I had a trailer ball mounted in the OEM step bumper of that truck that was approaching 15 years old and had been in place since I bought it new. The plate was mounted in the step like typical trucks of that era. It was the stock bumper and you could see by the hardware it had been years since that bumber and ball had been mounted. I feel it was a reason to pull me over to see if my insurance and license were up to date since I was not committing a traffic violation that he could cite (that was my first question when I was pulled over). I asked him how come my 1989 truck had never been pulled over before for having a ball in place all these years and yet I had traveled into Canada and Mexico and had seen both the east and west coasts with this configuration. I could see he wanted to write me up for something, but I must had given him pause with all the questions I was asking and all the detail I was providing on my truck. I can imaging that if I still had that truck, the tolling photos would have only captured a partial rear plate number and I'm not sure if the system is smart enough to interpolate the rest...

Chevy Sonic 1.8-Honda Passport C70B-Host Mammoth 11.5-Interstate Car Carrier 20-Joyner SandViper 250-Kawasaki Concours ZG1000-Paros 8' flatbed-Pelican Decker DLX 8.75-Ram 5500 HD-Tank Urban Touring 150SE-VW TransBuggy 1200

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/19 02:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You'd be amazed how good technology can be.
Even I moved to Nevada, I still keep my California Fastrack account, where beside transporter you list every vehicle by MY and licence number.
Last year I visited California and the HOVL I remember from 2 years ago, become paid express lanes.
I took the lane at first and before realized it was new system, I drove via 1 of the camera gates.
Couple weeks later, my Nevada registered vehicles got a bill on my CA Fastrack account. They track registration to my name and later to my account.
I also had couple of pictures send to me when I forgot to move transporder between vehicles.
Taken at 60 mph, the quality was exceptional.

jplante4

Cape Cod

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/19 02:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They put electronic tolls on the Mt Hope bridge over the Acushnet River going from Mass to Rhode Island. If you're headed for Newport, you'll use this bridge.

No toll booths, they tap your EZPass if you have it but send a paper bill in the mail for 10 cents. If they sopped collecting bills, they'd make money.

Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Big Brother- Tag on your TC?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.