RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Big Brother- Tag on your TC?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Big Brother- Tag on your TC?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Bedlam

PNW

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/19 02:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In my area, there is a $2 surcharge to mail you a toll if you do not have a transponder with an associated bank account on which to draw.

Chevy Sonic 1.8-Honda Passport C70B-Host Mammoth 11.5-Interstate Car Carrier 20-Joyner SandViper 250-Kawasaki Concours ZG1000-Paros 8' flatbed-Pelican Decker DLX 8.75-Ram 5500 HD-Tank Urban Touring 150SE-VW TransBuggy 1200

adamis

Northern California

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/19 03:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

gbopp wrote:

Apparently some of us do enjoy sitting in traffic. [emoticon]

Good point.
Been using transporters for well over 10 years and living in San Francisco area, I purchased Chicago transporter as visiting it every 2-3 years it was making sense to me.
Chicago has tool booth every few miles and leaving the city you had to stop several times paying 50 cents there and 75 cents there.
California stop giving discounts for transporter holders years ago, but you can use it for express lanes driving.
They also use transporters for measuring traffic, what you can see on google.
My camper has licence plate holder under the big bumper, while I carry generator up front.
If the cameras can't see them - fine with me.

The transponders to my knowledge are not used for measuring traffic as seen by Google Maps. I believe there would be some legality issues for this type of information to flow between government to private sources. The transponders are also only read at certain locations where they are read by the system and otherwise remain as a passive device.

Where the traffic information does come from is by by cell phone users that are using Google Maps to navigate and thus constantly reporting back to Google what the current speed of the phone is. Aggregation of all of these devices gives Google enough information to know where there are slowdowns and can report on it.

In regards to the tolls thing, I wouldn't lose much sleep over it. The government entity in charge of the toll already did a cost benefit analysis to determine that it was cheaper to allow outliers to skate through without paying versus manning toll booths 24 hours per day. The "FastTrac" devices used in the SF Bay Area aren't even necessary. My reader is probably close to 15 years old and has parts rattling around inside. It doesn't even beep (and hasn't for years) when I go through the booth. The system will use a license plate reader to read my plates and bill my account just like the Golden Gate does it.

Side note... The system is also pretty lenient with first time enforcement. I went through in my truck pulling a trailer that had not been registered to the system. I got a notice stating that I could add the trailer to my account to pay the toll bill. Added it and that was it, no fines or penalty fees.

1999 F350 Dually with 7.3 Diesel
2000 Bigfoot 10.6 Camper

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/19 07:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My TC was previously registered in Washington and had a plate.

No plates on the TCs in Montana. DMV said that’s what you have a front plate for. I have a (heart) Montana plate on the TC now. I figure they’ll notice that I put something there on purpose and didn’t just lose the plate.

I haven’t been everywhere, but I’ve been in Montana, Idaho, Oregon, Washington, and Wyoming that way. My guess is that a LEO that’s paying attention knows how to deal with the scenario. Since I don’t drive that fast with TC on, I’ve been passed by highway patrol as well as other officers in every state.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/19 08:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

adamis wrote:

The transponders to my knowledge are not used for measuring traffic as seen by Google Maps. I believe there would be some legality issues for this type of information to flow between government to private sources.

Maybe they change technology, but years ago Fasttrack send me a letter notifying about potential use and to avoid privacy issue, they included metalized bag to put transporder in it -when you are worry about loosing the privacy.
Is it transporder, or transporter btw?

adamis

Northern California

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/19 09:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is a transponder and the metal bag was to keep it from being read by the sensors when you went by one on the freeway presumably.

Google Maps requires GPS and constant cell signal connection to work. There is no way the transponder could last for years on a battery if it was doing all of that.

gemsworld

Arizona West Coast

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/17/19 10:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If your rear license plate was covered you'll probably never get a bill in the mail. Like you, we were also in Eastern Canada this spring and drove through a couple of toll roads in NY.

AZ also has rear plates only and I have one of those fake vanity front AZ plates on the moho that reads RD TRIP. My two distinctly different plates probably confounded the NY road folks because it took a while before I got a bill in the mail for both tolls totaling $26.

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/19 11:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In Utah its illegal to put the license plate from your truck on your camper.

The plate is registered to your truck, not your camper.

Its just like putting your plate on another vehicle.

2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd
1995 Lance 945

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/19 11:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In most of states TC is cargo and if cargo extends past licence plate, the plate should be moved to visible spot.
Transponders don't have any batteries. They operate on passive chip.
Some of us might not like the idea, that each toll gate has strong magnetic field we are crossing.
But it is the same with electronic car keys. Just lately I bought a tester for electronic ignition. Passive coil with LED light on it. You put it over ignition switch and when you insert electronic knob, the ignition switch activate magnetic field to turn on the light.
[image]

djg

Caledonia, On

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/19 08:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

specta wrote:

In Utah its illegal to put the license plate from your truck on your camper.

The plate is registered to your truck, not your camper.

Its just like putting your plate on another vehicle.

That's what I had the understanding of it is cargo, my plate is under the extension of the camper and never been pulled for it if you are behind the vehicle in a car you can see the plate had the camper from new never had a problem in 5 years all over the country in USA and Canada many police passing me.

Dave

2015 Livnlite Camplite TC10
1995 Ford F-350 dually 7.3 Diesel

Bedlam

PNW

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/19 09:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is the only UT code I found on license plate placement: https://www.lawserver.com/law/state/utah/ut-code/utah_code_41-1a-404

Do you have a link that specifically denies you from relocating your plate to a more visible location? If you are following a camper that does not have a plate attached to it, you can still see the truck plate with many of them. However, there are campers with rear overhangs that drop bellow bed level and obscure the plate enough that it cannot be read or even seen.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Big Brother- Tag on your TC?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS