RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Big Brother- Tag on your TC?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Big Brother- Tag on your TC?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
stevenal

Newport, OR, USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/19 09:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I find it very strange that folks think it's proper to relocate a plate from the registered vehicle to which it was assigned to the cargo it's carrying. I suppose they are likewise installing license plate illumination on their long loads of lumber?

I read about the Michigan trailer ball in the step bumper case, where they ruled against the motorist. They carefully avoided the question of what if the motorist were actually pulling a trailer at the time. Not all trailers need to be registered/plated.

I live where a TC is registered and plated like a vehicle. BF placed the plate holder in a location where it is partially obscured by the ladder, and the scissor stairs block the truck plate pretty good. Haven't been pulled over yet.

'18 Bigfoot 1500
Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4

STBRetired

I-80 and I-55

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/18/19 10:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In Illinois, they use transponder data from IPass users to put the drive times on the overhead signboards. They do not feed Google Maps or INRIX. I'm just waiting for the day that they start issuing speeding tickets through the mail by calculation distance/time using your transponder data.

1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

markchengr

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/19 12:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have registered and plated campers in Washington state where I live. We were billed for using HOV/toll lanes going through Dallas-Ft Worth even though we had two people in the truck. Their camera should have told them that. They sent us TWO bills one for the truck (front plate) and one for the camper (rear plate). It was a 2 person HOV lane. After many, many phone calls and hassles I finally just paid them to get it over with. Their cameras suck. We will NOT be going through Dallas or Ft Worth again.

Travels with Yoly

North Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/19 01:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I guess we can't call them "freeways" anymore.

otrfun

Desert SW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/18/19 01:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

specta wrote:

In Utah its illegal to put the license plate from your truck on your camper.

The plate is registered to your truck, not your camper.

Its just like putting your plate on another vehicle.
If Utah is a state where both the truck and camper is legally required to have its own license plate, then what you say makes perfect sense.

However, in states where a camper is not required to have a license plate, common sense says, IF you cannot see your truck's license plate with the camper on the truck, then you should relocate it to the rear of the camper or another location where it can be seen more clearly.

ajriding

st clair

View Profile

Posted: 09/19/19 06:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think it is not unlawful to relocate your plate to the lumber stack so it can be seen, and at night the plate needs to be lit by one light.
In states that require a plate on a TC and consider the TC a vehicle in itself then of course you cannot put a truck plate on a TC, but in the rest of the states in order to display your plate then putting it on the TC or lower on the truck would be correct, but not to say leaving it on the truck and blocked is not incorrect…
Any judges here?
When towing a trailer behind a TC, then it is maybe fine for the truck plate to be blocked since the trailer plate is visible.
Does the truck plate need to be visible when towing a trailer with a visible plate? Very few truck plates are 100% visible when towing anything.
I once got a warning ticket for no violation, just stupidity on the ticket writers part, and he had to crawl under the TC to find the plate on the truck. No warning for improper display of the plate, and I bet he had no clue about plate display rules to begin with so did not think to write me up for that, if it even were a violation…
Generally, people towing large RVs or hauling TCs in their truck are not ones on the run or that require quick plate reading by authorities, so this is not high on the list. If you drive a sports car and have plate issues, then likely another story altogether…

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 09/19/19 06:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ajriding wrote:

Any judges here?

Sure. If they aren’t really, I’m sure they stayed at a Holiday Inn last night. [emoticon]

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 09/19/19 07:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bedlam wrote:

This is the only UT code I found on license plate placement: https://www.lawserver.com/law/state/utah/ut-code/utah_code_41-1a-404

Do you have a link that specifically denies you from relocating your plate to a more visible location? If you are following a camper that does not have a plate attached to it, you can still see the truck plate with many of them. However, there are campers with rear overhangs that drop bellow bed level and obscure the plate enough that it cannot be read or even seen.

I called the Utah Highway Patrol and asked them. They are the ones who told me I could not take the plate from my truck and mount it to the camper.
I live inside a Utah State Park and our Ranger who is also an LEO told the same thing.

I'll take their word for it.

You can't see my license plate on the back of my truck with either one of my campers loaded in the truck.

My camper is titled and has a registration sticker like a boat.

I would hate to have to move the plate every time I loaded the camper.

And if I don't have to why would I want to?

* This post was edited 09/19/19 08:16pm by specta *

2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd Regular cab.
What real trucks really look like.
1995 Lance 945

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 09/19/19 07:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

otrfun wrote:

If Utah is a state where both the truck and camper is legally required to have its own license plate, then what you say makes perfect sense.

However, in states where a camper is not required to have a license plate, common sense says, IF you cannot see your truck's license plate with the camper on the truck, then you should relocate it to the rear of the camper or another location where it can be seen more clearly.

[image]

My camper has a small sticker on it and no license plate.
The sticker is about 2 1/2" square.

It costs $10/yr to register my camper.

You can't see my license plate when my camper is loaded on the truck.

I guess if they want to see my license plate they can pull me over and check out the front one.

I've traveled thru several states including OR and CA and I haven't been pulled over yet.

Groover

Pulaski, TN

View Profile

Posted: 09/19/19 07:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

otrfun wrote:

specta wrote:

In Utah its illegal to put the license plate from your truck on your camper.

The plate is registered to your truck, not your camper.

Its just like putting your plate on another vehicle.

I was told that in Tennessee it is actually illegal to put the plate on the camper. The law here requires tags to be "permanently affixed to the vehicle for which it is registered" so unless the camper is permanent the tag must remain on the truck. It is acceptable to put the tag on the front bumper but never required. The camper I had at the time hung out over 4ft and the holding tanks were below bed level so the only way to see the tag was to crawl several feet under the truck. I used it that way for years and never had a problem.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Big Brother- Tag on your TC?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS