|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Pulling with a Ram 2500

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
LadyRVer

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/19 07:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2500 Ram, 2013, CC, LB.. towing about 7,500 # travel trailer. 5.7 Hemi.
10 mpg... uphill, downhill, tailwind, headwind. I am on a 10 month trip (so far) from FL to WA/OR/MT and now back to NC.... can count on 10 average.

crcr

US

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/19 10:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

38' , 8200 lbs ... Have you taken it fully loaded and ready to camp across a CAT scale? I'll bet it probably weighs a lot more than 8200.

Missouri Man

Kansas City, Missouri

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/18/19 01:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great Feedback! The tongue weight is 750lbs and dry weight its at 7100 lbs. loaded with food, clothes and 3 of us, is where I am getting my 8200 lb number for I pull with no water, but you could be right, I may be closer to 9k but the truck is rated to tow 16k with the 4:10. One of these days I may look towards a 5th wheel. Again all your responses are fantastic!

2018 Ram 2500 Crew Cab V-8 Hemi 6.4l-4:10 gears
2018 Crossroad Sunset trail

1320Fastback

Vista, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/19 02:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Budget for 8 and use the left over cash to go to dinner when you get to Virginia.

1992 D250 Cummins, 5spd, 4"' straight piped, sensors deleted, airbags, DAP injectors, 18cm.

crcr

US

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/19 06:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Missouri Man wrote:

Great Feedback! The tongue weight is 750lbs and dry weight its at 7100 lbs. loaded with food, clothes and 3 of us, is where I am getting my 8200 lb number for I pull with no water, but you could be right, I may be closer to 9k but the truck is rated to tow 16k with the 4:10. One of these days I may look towards a 5th wheel. Again all your responses are fantastic!

Dry weights are a fiction for manufacturer retail marketing and are meaningless for any practical purpose. Right from the factory, RV's weigh more than their "dry weight". What is your trailer's GVWR? I would guess your true weight ready to camp is probably right at your GVWR. I bet it weights 10K+ ready to camp. Take it across a CAT scale ready to camp and I bet you will be very surprised.

Missouri Man

Kansas City, Missouri

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/19/19 10:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I never thought of that. I will run across a scale and post the actual weight soon. Very Helpful.Great Tip 1320fastback. I will due just that, still 8 is not bad when towing a Brick behind you..lol

zanzarista

SW Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 09/19/19 09:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 04 RAM diesel and have fuel records from 2004 to date. Towing a 24ft, 7800lb 5th wheel, I got between 9 and 11 MPG towing in the northwest where mountains are real. I recently sold the 5th wheel and bought a 29ft TT which by chance, is also about 7880lbs with SOME stuff in it. Now I get between 8 and 10MPG with an average tow speed on the interstate around 65MPH. The tongue weight is 1000lbs. On the 2004 RAM, the factory hitch is rated for 1200lbs, in the documents I've found.
The scale operators near me, frown audibly when I tried to disconnect my trailer from the TV to get the Trailer weight, so I have to find another way to weigh.
All of this probably doesn't help answer your question though...
No matter what you tow, keep an eye on the transmission temp, it can creep up real quick when it's hot out, the A/C is on and you're pulling up hill.
Good luck with your choice and safe travels, no matter where you go..

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
2004 Dodge RAM 2500 Quadcab longbd
2017 Arctic Fox 25W
Eqa-li-zer hitch (for now)
HAM operator - monitoring 146.52 on the road
1 favorite wife
2 Schnauzers and 1 Westy

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/19 05:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I always say to add 12-1500lbs to the dry weight (add that to the dry weight sticker on the trailer). I would definitely use a WD hitch as the properly loaded tongue weight should be 12% of the trailers loaded for travel weight. This would give you a tongue weight of 1100lbs.
The 4.10's should give you a bit better mileage towing than the 3.73's do. And the performance will be even better in the mountains.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/19 05:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

crcr wrote:

Missouri Man wrote:

Dry weights are a fiction for manufacturer retail marketing and are meaningless for any practical purpose. Right from the factory, RV's weigh more than their "dry weight". What is your trailer's GVWR? I would guess your true weight ready to camp is probably right at your GVWR. I bet it weights 10K+ ready to camp. Take it across a CAT scale ready to camp and I bet you will be very surprised.

While it's true an RV will weigh a bit more than it's dry weight it will not weigh 3klbs more ready to camp!

My 7100lb dry TT weighed 9300lbs ready to travel. And I packed like a full timer for weekend and 2 week trips! So a normal person would more than likely pack less. I packed for 2 adults and 2 kids. So the OP will definitely be less.

Missouri Man

Kansas City, Missouri

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/20/19 09:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great information! I was actually considering a 5th Wheel with DW of 12k. Sounds like pulling a FW you got better mileage then the TT. I know with no trailer I get 13-14 in town and 17 hwy if I stay under or on 2000 Rpm at 70. I did get the truck for the 4:10 gearing specifically for the reason stated by dodge guy.Since its not a daily driver mileage is not a big concern but when towing I look more in to it for all the stops with a trailer is annoying..may even add another fuel cell. Thank You all for sharing, keep it up for I enjoy everyones feedback.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Pulling with a Ram 2500
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS