|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Cleaning out a DIY septic tank

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
wopachop

lb

View Profile

Posted: 09/19/19 09:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Old-Biscuit wrote:

Air pressure is NOT going to 'clear' any clogs ----it will just force sludge out ANY opening there is
Wouldnt that be the openings drilled into the barrels?

I cant say for sure if its metal or plastic. Seems like I've dumped more than 100 gallons before. The (2) 50 gallon drums might not even be true.

Will try air pressure. Start low and slow and see how it goes.

wopachop

lb

View Profile

Posted: 09/19/19 09:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rdhetrick wrote:

I don't think the air will do anything. If there's a single open hole near the top, you will loose the air out that hole before any real pressure builds.
I agree. Might end up hooking a hose bib adapter to it.

maillemaker

office

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/19/19 11:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Why aren't you dumping into the sewer?
Can't be to cheap to have a sewer.

If this guy is somewhere where he can construct himself a home-made septic tank out of 55 gallon drums, my guess is he's out in the sticks and there is no sewer service.

1990 Winnebago Warrior. "She may not look like much but she's got it where it counts!"

wopachop

lb

View Profile

Posted: 09/19/19 01:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Turns out the darn thing is 15 years old. The fella who installed it carved 7/04 into the concrete.

The clog is recent. Didnt seem to happen gradually. I hear what people are saying about a metal drum rusting away. But if that was the case wouldnt the liquids absorb into the ground after a month? Its in very very loose sandy soil. Maybe he used plastic drums.

magicbus

Nantucket Island, MA

View Profile

Posted: 09/19/19 01:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My guess is your "loose sandy soil" is packed with poop and paper and you need to open it up and power wash and vacuum it. If it was me I'd build a new one not too far away and fill that one with sand so it doesn't collapse when the cans finally rust out.

Dave

Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/19/19 02:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you do this again, use plastic barrels. Buy them on Craiglist. If you want to interconnect them use PVC pipe. It won't rust out but it will fill up

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 09/19/19 06:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wopachop wrote:

Turns out the darn thing is 15 years old. The fella who installed it carved 7/04 into the concrete.

The clog is recent. Didnt seem to happen gradually. I hear what people are saying about a metal drum rusting away. But if that was the case wouldnt the liquids absorb into the ground after a month? Its in very very loose sandy soil. Maybe he used plastic drums.

You do not really have a true "septic system" which IS the problem.

Barrels with holes drilled to allow liquids escape in is nothing more than what is called a "dry well". Works fine for LIQUIDS ONLY, cannot put SOLIDS in it.

Septic systems however are a hole nuther thing, they have a tank which can be divided in two or two tanks connected in series (out of first tank goes into the second tank). First divider or tank takes in liquid and solids, mainly liquid should got into the second part or tank. THEN the tank MUST have a DRAIN FIELD to allow the liquids from the second part or tank to run off and be absorbed.

The main difference is a real septic tank holds a certain amount of liquid to allow microbes to digest and convert not just liquids but much of the SOLIDS into a form which now drains out of the tank. This is important because without that microbe action ALL of the solids will not get broke down enough to drain out. Without the microbe action, the result is a clogged tank full of solids (which is what you now have).

EVENTUALLY however with a septic tank system you DO have to have the remaining solids which were not digested left in the tank pumped out. How long you can go before pumping depends on how much the system is used and how large the tank is.

You "tank" needs to be "pumped" OR you will need to make a new "tank" in a NEW location.

You basically have nothing more than a fancy "outhouse" or "privy", dig hole put outhouse over then rinse and repeat once that hole is full (yeah, I had an Uncle when I was a kid that would constantly be moving his outhouse around the yard every few years).

You ARE lucky you got 15 yrs out of it putting solids in it, with no solids most likely would work for 50 yrs more as long as the barrels don't collapse.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 09/19/19 06:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"You basically have nothing more than a fancy "outhouse" or "privy", dig hole put outhouse over then rinse and repeat once that hole is full"

Yeah, that was my thought too. No septic tank about this, just a outhouse gettin' fancy.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

John&Joey

Summer-North,Winter-South

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/19/19 08:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You’re illegal if you’re in a first world country !!!

Call your local government zoning/sanitation department and ask them what they would do. Thinking you’ll find out the correct answer in a heartbeat.

Otherwise a YouTube link would be great.

TBammer

Mid-Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 09/19/19 08:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All this leads me to the conclusion that that the greatest invention of all time is a flush toilet and modern sewer systems. Never get angry at paying your water and sewer bill. We are healthier for it.

2016 Chevy 2500 HD, 6.0 gasser, 4.10 dif
2019 Arctic Fox 25W
Reese Pro-Series WD Hitch

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Cleaning out a DIY septic tank
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS