RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Will fifth wheel front hit truck back window?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Will fifth wheel front hit truck back window?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
the bear II

Torrance CA.

View Profile

Posted: 09/19/19 02:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There was a video on YouTube at one time showing an RVer backing up his 5th wheel with a shortbed truck he made a turn and you got to watch the back window of his truck explode inside the cab.

I've always had a long bed truck with my 5th wheel and never had a concern about the 5th wheel hitting the back of the cab. Until I had to drive up a small embankment to get turned to begin backing up into a spot. The cap contacted the cab beside the window and put a dent in it. So like others have said terrain may cause a contact.

Super_Dave

Harrisville, UT

View Profile

Posted: 09/19/19 04:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

the bear II wrote:

There was a video on YouTube at one time showing an RVer backing up his 5th wheel with a shortbed truck he made a turn and you got to watch the back window of his truck explode inside the cab.

And I thought that there was a post here earlier this year with a blown out rear window.

Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 2003 Jetcraft 2125 - Yamaha 150 HP & 8 HP Kicker

garyp4951

TN

View Profile

Posted: 09/19/19 04:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kootenayguy wrote:

Hi. This question applies to anyone with a 2008 or newer Canadian built Citation Supreme or Corsair Excella 5th wheel. These units have a rounded front and not a flat front. I have a Dodge Ram with a 6'4" box and a B & W Companion fixed (not slider) 5th wheel hitch mounted in the usual position between the wheel wells. Will the front of one of these 5th wheels hit the rear window of the truck on a hard turn? I'm thinking because of the rounded front of the 5th wheel I may be safe. Thanks

I believe B&W shows 3" back, with the truck attachment in position 2, to be the farthest you can go, and should give you a little over 40" from the cab.
You will still have to be careful backing, but many people use this setup.

Lwiddis

Los Angeles area :(

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/19/19 04:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you are concerned, find a spotter.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

mtofell1

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 09/19/19 08:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lantley wrote:

Two Hands wrote:

I think I would certainly find out. Go out into a large parking lot and slowly start making tighter and tighter turns while keeping a close eye on the front cap of your fifth wheel. You will then know for sure.

It's not as simple as checking/testing on a flat parking lot.
If the ground is uneven the trailer or truck could pitch or tilt and create contact in a close turn situation.

^^This

Many a truck owner with a busted window and dented cab has come to a message board in disbelief because they did the whole parking lot thing and it still hit. A small uneven surface on the wrong side is greatly magnified and the trailer goes through your window. The parking lot thing is fine to get a general idea but you still have to watch out.

blofgren

Surrey, B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 09/19/19 08:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP, I have the exact combo you are speaking of, although I don’t have a B&W hitch, but rather the Ram 20k slider, which is actually a Curt.

Going forward is not a problem, as is backing up for the majority of the time. There was a time when I was backing the trailer into my back yard, which is quite tight with poor visibility due to a large hedge. I was cut a bit sharper than normal when I heard this strange noise; I pulled ahead real quick when I realized that the front cap on the fiver was touching the back window of the truck!

It does take quite a sharp cut to do this, so I try to avoid cutting that sharp not only for that reason, but it is also quite hard on the trailer’s undercarriage. I do have the slider hitch so I have slid it back a couple of times as a precaution, but I try to avoid it because it is a PITA to do.

I hope that answers your question; if you have any more let me know. [emoticon]

2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, RAM 20k sliding hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/19/19 10:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kootenayguy wrote:

Hi. This question applies to anyone with a 2008 or newer Canadian built Citation Supreme or Corsair Excella 5th wheel. These units have a rounded front and not a flat front. I have a Dodge Ram with a 6'4" box and a B & W Companion fixed (not slider) 5th wheel hitch mounted in the usual position between the wheel wells. Will the front of one of these 5th wheels hit the rear window of the truck on a hard turn? I'm thinking because of the rounded front of the 5th wheel I may be safe. Thanks

Simple answer; ALL will hit when backing up...at some point. SOME will hit going forward. A slider will almost always keep you from hitting going forward and give you more room before you WILL hit in reverse.

Lyle

2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4 6.5' Bed
Banks Bullet Tuner and Monster Exhaust
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 61 Year Member

ol Bombero-JC

USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/19 12:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kootenayguy wrote:

After reading the replies:

1. Roll the dice with a test or whatever suggestion/s you like.

2. Shouldn't be any big deal - you paid how much for your truck & trailer - why cheap out...[emoticon]
Buy either a manual or auto slider..[emoticon]

~

Crabbypatty

Long Island, New York

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/19 04:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reading all the stories and wanting to make life easy, I installed the Pullrite 2700 automatic slider for my short bed. I do not ant to think about turning backing up and having an issue. The Truck cost alot, the fiver cost alot so for the difference of few hundred bucks to connect the two, wasn't the place to hold back. My first season and having been out 6 times it was a goo choice for me.

John, Lisa & Tara">">">
2015 F250 4x4 6.2L 6 spd 3.73s, CC Short Bed, Pullrite Slide 2700, 648 Wts Solar, 4 T-125s, 2000 Watt Xantrax Inverter, Trimetric 2030 Meter, LED Lights, Hawkings Smart Repeater, Wilson Extreme Cellular Repeater, Beer, Ribs, Smoker

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/19 05:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

op wrote:

I have a Dodge Ram with a 6'4" box and a B & W Companion fixed (not slider) 5th wheel hitch mounted in the usual position between the wheel wells. Will the front of one of these 5th wheels hit the rear window of the truck on a hard turn? I'm thinking because of the rounded front of the 5th wheel I may be safe. Thanks

Lots of histeria about short bed cab/5er corner contact when it fact its rare....but it can happen.
We've had new members on various rv websites before ask will my 5er contact my GM short bed truck. They got the usual gotta' have a slider from many who had no idea but read some where you gotta' have a slider. Anywayz some bought the more expensive Superglide auto slider. After a year or so of camping with other short bed GM owners that had no sliding hitch they questioned their choice. Some kept them and others sold them and went with a lighter hitch with much less maintenance. My sons '18 short bed chevy crew cab and a 5er with rounded corners which has 5"-7" of clearance at the shortest point in a turn on any angle.
No one can tell you if your combo will contact. I would try the std hitch first and if it comes 2"-3" at the closest point while backing then I would be interested in some type of sliding hitch or different pin box like the Reese Sidewinder.

GM has the longest C/A (cab to axle) dimension at
..41.26"....
Ford at 39."....
Dodge/Ram at 37.4".

Use what you have and if it doesn't work ...then spend your bucks on one that works best.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Will fifth wheel front hit truck back window?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS