RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class C Motorhomes: Michelin kaboom! Michelin tire update!

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Michelin kaboom! Michelin tire update!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
LOG

Austin, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/23/19 02:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NWboondocker wrote:

LOG wrote:

We had Michelin tires on a 27 ft Winnebago class A motorhome. They had dry rot cracks on the sidewalls. They were less than 3 years old with less than 12,000 miles. The motorhome was parked under cover on gravel. The tires were not covered, were not aired up to maximum, and motorhome was not moved for the last year owned.
Our current class C motorhome has Michelin tires that are five years old with 33,000 miles and have no dry rot on sidewalls. The motorhome is store inside, on concrete, driven every two months or less, driven at 65 mph or less in hot and cold weather, aired to maximum psi on rear dual tires, and weight is under GAWR and GVWR.
Maybe just a coincidence?

Were the cracked tires part of the '10-'12 Michelin recall? Our used class C had them and the sidewalls suddenly went from good to badly cracked around year 3-4. Replaced with 7 (incl. spare) free new Michelins which we're still running.

No. The tires were 19.5 wheels. The tires were put on in March of 2012 and the motorhome was sold in July of 2014. The dealer who sold the motorhome on consignment would not list the motorhome for sale until we put on new tires. They said they would not sell a motorhome with dry rotted tires.

LOG
2005 Chinook Glacier

lane hog

Tucson, AZ & NW Chicago Burbs, IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/24/19 11:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our dry-rotted Michelins were 2004's so no free tires for us. And as Powertour said, they just don't last in dry climates...

Since then, I've tried BFG's, Uniroyals, but Coopers are the keepers.

• 2005 Winnebago "Minnie" 31C (was a three-time Jayco owner)
  • 2012 MasterTow Dolly pulling a 2003 Jeep Liberty (had Ram 2500 CTD, Dodge Durango, Honda Odyssey...)
  • Onan Microquiet 4000, plus 130W solar and Honda EU2000i twins for backup

Dakzuki

Carnation, Wa, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/28/19 11:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sometimes bad stuff happens. Did you contact Michelin. They may be interested.

2011 Itasca Navion 24J
2000 Chev Tracker Toad

js218

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/19 01:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Changed my Michelins at 2.5 years and 149,000 miles no cracks just wear. Put 10 Michelins back on,8 XDN2 drives, 2 X line Energy steers.

2017 Haulmark 45' Super C 600hp, 12 speed I shift transmission, tandem drive axles, 3 stage engine brake, towing 26' trailer with an 08 explorer inside.
Jim

klutchdust

Orange, California

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/19 08:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Found out the Michelin "defender" is out of production, the replacement is the Agilis. Slightly different tread design. I now have all rear tires replaced.2 new defenders and 2 new Agilis. The rears were worn 50% based on my tire depth gauge and the fronts 60% .

I already purchased the defenders and later decided to replace all four. Within a week the defender was not available. Slightly different tread design but who cares.

pnichols

The Other California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/12/19 09:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

klutchdust wrote:

Found out the Michelin "defender" is out of production, the replacement is the Agilis. Slightly different tread design. I now have all rear tires replaced.2 new defenders and 2 new Agilis. The rears were worn 50% based on my tire depth gauge and the fronts 60% .

I already purchased the defenders and later decided to replace all four. Within a week the defender was not available. Slightly different tread design but who cares.

Hmmm ... they seem to still be available on Michelin's website ... what dealer told you they weren't?
https://www.michelinman.com/all-season-tires/defender-ltx-m-s.html

I have six Defender LTX M/S Load Range E tires on my Class C and assume I can replace them with the same when the time comes. They have been outstanding tires so far.

Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca Spirit 24V

klutchdust

Orange, California

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/19 12:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My friend is a dealer and Michelin was unable to send him any. America’s tire same thing and tire rack.
The Agis looks nice . The defender date code was late 2018 and the Agis last month.
I have read production stopped in April this year.

LOG

Austin, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/12/19 01:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Defender LTX M/S has not been discontinued. But it has been discontinued in the size 225/75R16 LRE.

pnichols

The Other California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/12/19 07:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LOG wrote:

The Defender LTX M/S has not been discontinued. But it has been discontinued in the size 225/75R16 LRE.

Rats .... the Defender has also been discontinued in the size I use on my E450 Class C for better ground clearance and dually interspacing - 215/85R16 LRE.

I guess I'll have to give the 215/85R16 LRE Agilis a try at tire replacement time.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Michelin kaboom! Michelin tire update!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.