|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> DC Power Issue

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
SolanaJohn

San Diego

View Profile

Posted: 09/19/19 08:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi, I’m having a problem with DC power in my trailer. The short version is that when I turn on enough lights or appliances, the power goes off to everything. Everything works fine on shore power.

The long version: I have a 2018 little guy max trailer with a 100 watt solar panel. We bought it used early this year and the battery worked fine for the first trip (but we didn’t use much power at any one time, so it may have been a problem from the start). Here is what I have done so far to try and find the problem:

First, I replaced the battery, although it tested fine at the store. The new battery is a 100 amp-hr deep cycle wet lead acid type.

I covered the solar panels to try and isolate the problem, then:

With shore power disconnected: battery shows 12.9V. I can run most of the lights and as I turn each of them on sequentially, I can see the voltage drop at the DC fuse panel with each set of lights until the power shuts off entirely. It doesn’t matter which sequence I use to turn them off, once I have enough turned on, everything shuts off. I then turn every switch back off and plug into shore power briefly which resets everything. I can also cause the power to shut off by just using the water pump without any lights since the water pump has a higher current draw.

With shore power disconnected: battery shows 12.9V and DC fuse panel is 12.6 V.

With shore power connected: battery shows 14.6V and DC fuse panel is 13.6 V.

With shore power disconnected and solar panels uncovered in full light: battery shows 14.5V

So I conclude wiring from solar panels to battery is ok and wiring from battery to DC fuse panel is ok.

From another post, I read about a DC circuit breaker near the battery. I found it and it appears to be an automatically resetting type. Since it is between the battery and the fuse panel, I'm guessing it is ok but is there a way to test it?

Any ideas on what the problem might be or what I can check next?

Any help/advice is appreciated, I thought this would be simple but it has me stumped.

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 09/19/19 09:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When everything dies, check for voltage on both sides of the auto resetting breaker.
I suspect one side will be dead and the breaker is tripping prematurely.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins.
2018 Silver Fox 32A.
H0NDA eu2000i

SolanaJohn

San Diego

View Profile

Posted: 09/19/19 09:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I connected positive voltmeter lead to battery positive and negative voltmeter lead to each side of the breaker. Both readings were zero, Does that mean the breaker is OK?

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 09/19/19 10:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No, you need to ground the neg side of the meter (battery negative or chassis ground) and connect the positive lead to both sides of the breaker in turn when everything dies. You should get +12v on both sides of the breaker.

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 09/19/19 10:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

With shore power connected: battery shows 14.6V and DC fuse panel is 13.6 V.
A 1.0V drop is suspicious since it appears this is with light loads. 1.0V drop is very high for a 12V system.

There have been posts about rigs disconnection from the battery when shore power is available. Perhaps yours. So lights are drawing from your charger.

Then w/o shore power you are drawing from the battery and exceeding the auto CB or it's defective, so lights out.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/19/19 11:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SolanaJohn wrote:

So I conclude ....... wiring from battery to DC fuse panel is ok.
Actually
0.3 volt difference seems very high for no load. Start turning on some lights and check again.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 09/19/19 11:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

SolanaJohn wrote:

So I conclude ....... wiring from battery to DC fuse panel is ok.
Actually
0.3 volt difference seems very high for no load. Start turning on some lights and check again.
X2 Was about to post the same.

Are you using different voltmeters? Could be wiring or the way you are measuring.

Need more info.

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 09/19/19 11:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Could be working as designed. To much draw and lights out to prevent to much battery drain. If so LEDs would help.

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/19 12:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As ScottG said, test the circuit breaker poles one at a time with the meter positive on one of the threaded poles of the breaker and the negative lead on the negative terminal of the battery. Then take a reading of the battery positive to negative. You should get the same battery voltage when testing at all three places (battery positive and both poles of the breaker)

Once you have found all the voltages, have someone turn on enough loads to get the power to fail. Then go check the posts of the circuit breaker to the negative terminal of the battery. I'm betting you'll see battery voltage on the upstream (battery side) of the breaker and zero volts on the down stream side of the breaker indicating a tripped breaker.

If the breaker is tripping you can try a new breaker, they are available at most auto parts stores. But buy the same size as what is marked on the original circuit breaker, do not try to make it last longer by putting in a breaker of larger capacity.

One more thing, you'll want to disconnect or cover the solar panels so you don't get any false readings at the circuit breaker with the sun shining.

1996 Suburban 4x4. 350, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

Sam Spade

North Central Florida

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/19 06:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CA Traveler wrote:

Could be working as designed.

Sorry but that is a ridiculous answer.
He said that the water pump fails.....with EVERYTHING else turned off.
No way his symptoms are "normal".

'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> DC Power Issue
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS