RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: No more GM diesels?!

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> No more GM diesels?!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
SidecarFlip

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 09/22/19 02:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Love the title of the article... GM (Government Motors) announces next bankruptcy date...

I have to concur with that. Poor planning is no excuse.

2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

noteven

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 09/22/19 02:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I suppose the next thing will be hybrid railroad locomotives. That’ll never work.

SidecarFlip

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 09/22/19 02:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

agesilaus wrote:

"General Motors plans to go 100 percent electric, the Detroit automaker announced Monday.

GM currently offers one extended-range electric vehicle, the Chevrolet Bolt EV, but will add two others within 18 months, said Executive Vice President Mark Reuss, with “at least 20” to be in the line-up by 2023. In addition, the company is developing a new truck platform powered by hydrogen fuel cells, dubbed Surus, short for Silent Utility Rover Universal Superstructure." CBS News

There is no hydrogen fuel infrastructure in this country. It is very hard to transport and store and cannot be compressed enough to give a vehicle long range. And maybe you want a 10,000 psi tank of hydrogen in the bed of your truck, I know I do not.

And for that matter the electric recharge infrastructure in the US is almost non existent. Just read what people with an electric vehicle have to go thru to travel cross country.

So how does GM expect to add 100,000 electric charging stations at say $2,000,000 each plus a hydrogen charging station at that much or more. Thats $400,000,000,000. And that still won't match the gas station infrastructure. So how does GM expect to add 100,000 electric charging stations at say $2,000,000 each plus a hydrogen charging station at that much or more. Thats $400,000,000,000. And that still won't match the gas station infrastructure.

It's idiocy. But as has been long understood: "Whom the gods would destroy they first make mad"

Or in the modern form: "Go woke, go broke!"

Easy answer, borrow the money from the government.... and of course never pay it back.

SidecarFlip

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 09/22/19 02:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

noteven wrote:

I suppose the next thing will be hybrid railroad locomotives. That’ll never work.

They already are 'hybrids'. Diesel electric. Diesel engine drives an alternator, alternator powers the traction motors.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 09/22/19 02:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sidecar,

I think noteven was being "tongue in cheek"

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/22/19 03:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

sidecar,

I think noteven was being "tongue in cheek"
Even so, would love to have a 5000+ HP Diesel electric truck. But that stupid 80,000 pound limit might get in the way. How long to fill a 3000 gallon fuel tank?LOL

wanderingaimlessly

SOBOVA

View Profile

Posted: 09/22/19 04:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Still for use by folks that want to travel, be rv or by car, range and refueling will be an issue. Want to guess what campground power will be like when you have 50 or 75 EV drivers trying to recharge from the same power grid that now experiences frequent voltage drops because the systems were not designed for RV;s running two 15K btuh Ac units as well as 120 vac refrigerators.

A handful will still be out there patting themselves on the back for being good green lovers, while they run 2 or 3 Honda portable generators for 12 hours to recharge their "green" electric vehicle enough to run out for a 6 pack.

danrclem

Ky.

View Profile

Posted: 09/22/19 05:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When they make an EV that will run for 400+ miles between charges and take less than 10 minutes to fully charge one I might consider one. Until then it's an ICE for me.

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/22/19 06:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

danrclem wrote:

When they make an EV that will run for 400+ miles between charges and take less than 10 minutes to fully charge one I might consider one. Until then it's an ICE for me.

Ditto on that

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/22/19 08:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, my dad used to have a saying "believe nothing you hear and only half what you see". And sometimes used to say believe nothing you read and only half what you see.

Both apply here 100%.
I heard tinfoil was on sale in N Florida. OP should go stock up on some. He needs it.

* This post was edited 09/22/19 11:27pm by Grit dog *

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> No more GM diesels?!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS