|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Seeking advice for full time rv living

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Brittrain333

CO

View Profile

Posted: 09/23/19 08:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello! I am posting here because I am interested in becoming a full-time rver. I myself do not have a lot of experience with rv's. My grandparents had a really nice Class A Motorhome (which is what I would be buying) that I camped in a couple of times, but I don't have the knowledge necessary at this point to make it a permanent lifestyle. I would be looking to live full time in a Class A, and it's just me and my dog. I do have a passenger vehicle I would be keeping also.

I am really attracted to the idea of living full time in an rv. I love the travel possibilities, and I feel like the small space would be perfect for me.

I'm looking for some advice from some seasoned rvers. What is your favorite part about the lifestyle? What are the ugly parts? What are some useful tips for being on the road? What is it actually like at those rv campgrounds? I have been reading (and will continue to read) some of the posts on here offering various bits of advice, but I'd like to get more in depth.

Thank you all in advance for any advice you can offer!!

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 09/23/19 09:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Welcome to the forums.

I'm a frugal rv'er who completed 5 years of full time in March 2019.

1. have an exit strategy in place.

2. If frugal use this link: https://freecampsites.net/

3. Put aside $0.10 per mile for repairs.

4. If the tires are 5 or more years old replace them.

5. If wishing to boon dock add a solar panel charging system (link https://freecampsites.net/adding-solar/

6. Unless they are fairly new, consider replacing the "house" battery bank and increasing the capacity.

7. sign up for an unlimited voice and data cell phone.

8. arrange for an accommodation snail mail address. Either ask a friend, or go to one of the "forwarding" services.

9. Figure out which State (or Province) is best for you to register the vehicle and pay taxes in.

10. Go slow and have fun.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Second Chance

Wherever...

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/23/19 09:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Look into the Escapees RV Club Boot Camp.

Escapees Boot Camp

Also read on their forums and check out:

RV-Dreams.com

Rob

U.S. Army retired
2016 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MOR/ryde independent suspension, disc brakes, LR G tires
2020 Solitude 310GK-R on order (with MORryde IS)
PullRite OE 18K, Demco Glide Ride pin box
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

tropical36

Southwest Florida_USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/23/19 09:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Brittrain333 wrote:

Hello! I am posting here because I am interested in becoming a full-time rver. I myself do not have a lot of experience with rv's. My grandparents had a really nice Class A Motorhome (which is what I would be buying) that I camped in a couple of times, but I don't have the knowledge necessary at this point to make it a permanent lifestyle. I would be looking to live full time in a Class A, and it's just me and my dog. I do have a passenger vehicle I would be keeping also.

I am really attracted to the idea of living full time in an rv. I love the travel possibilities, and I feel like the small space would be perfect for me.

I'm looking for some advice from some seasoned rvers. What is your favorite part about the lifestyle? What are the ugly parts? What are some useful tips for being on the road? What is it actually like at those rv campgrounds? I have been reading (and will continue to read) some of the posts on here offering various bits of advice, but I'd like to get more in depth.

Not a full timer, but with our extended summer trips, I can tell you that I would recommend buying your last one first and will be better served with getting the largest one possible. As time goes by, you'll be taking less and less to the road everyday and will be sitting for longer periods of time. Also as you get more and more used to driving the rig, you'll feel more and more comfortable with driving something larger.
As for a gasser or DP, depends on how much you plan on actually traveling over the years and for how much you can comfortably pay for any major repairs, that will certainly be much higher for a DP.
Lastly, buy the best quality possible that fits your budget, rather than tend towards newness. You haven't said what you budget is, so that makes it difficult to advise on any particular Brand, Model or year.
As for the lifestyle, campgrounds, Walmart, rest areas and such for what works best for you, you'll learn that pretty quick like.

"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

DutchmenSport

Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/23/19 10:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think it takes a year to work out all the bugs and small details when purchasing a (new to you) camper. (New or used). My advise would be to purchase the RV but do not give up your sticks-n-bricks home just yet. You'll appreciate somewhere to return "home" to to regroup, make repairs (which will be many), and make adjustments in your lifestyle. Unless you are already a "minimalist" adapting to the lifestyle takes some time. And the more personal effects you have, the harder it is.

We've seriously been preparing for full timing for the last year, although we've talked about it for the last 15 years. The first step was getting out of debt. Except for our house payment, that happened this year.

The second year our financial adjustment year, living on just one income and still maintaining a house payment, which we are being successful at right now.

The third "step" is to finally reach 66 and 2 months so I will be able to draw full Social Security benefits. The wife will work for a few more years, but has a 100% work-from-home job. If after this second year of planning, our son gets the house, and we're "out of here." Meanwhile, we are sleeping in the camper every night at home, using it full time at home, and taking off every week-end to a campground somewhere, as I have to be in-office Monday through Friday.

I guess, where this is leading, it takes planning. It's more than just getting an RV and hitting the road. The list above is a good one, lots to think about. Don't brush it off. And expect plans to change. That's why I always say, AFTER you purchase the RV, use it a year before hitting the road full time. And after hitting the road, it's a daily strategy process if you actually travel instead of parking seasonally somewhere. Even seasonally, there are costs involved that you have to work through.

Don't get me wrong here, you can do it and be very successful. But you do ...really... need to think it through before jumping in. It takes a commitment and it's not always glamorous.

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 09/23/19 10:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most seem to want/buy a different RV after a year or so. Nothing compares to real world experience. So you might want to consider a more basic RV for a starter. And - gasp Heaven forbid you might later want a TT or 5er. All RVs have pros and cons.

And your resident state, registration, DL, insurance, medical, fed/state/property taxes, etc all need to be considered. Changeable in the future of course but they don't go away.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 09/23/19 11:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lots of good advice here. Trying to buy your last RV first is almost impossible. Until you've had any kind of RV for any length of time, you don't know what you don't know. It takes quite a while to figure out exactly what you want and need out of an RV. I researched for 5 years before we bought our first MH and I traded it a year after buying it once I started figuring out what I really wanted. My advice would be buy something low end to start, and part time for a while until you figure out what you really want and need. I would say above all that floor plan is the most critical decision in your choice and once you find a floor plan that works, then find a unit that meets your quality and drivability criteria. This will be where you live, you'd better love the layout.

There are a ton of variables unique to your situation that only you can figure out what's going to work for you. What type of camping, how much you travel, where you want to go, what size you need etc, will all drive what type of RV you eventually end up with.

As far budgetary items, this forum will be of great help as far as where to camp, what clubs to belong to, what apps to have, routes, how to stock etc, and of course how to handle the unpleasant stuff like when things break, or break down - because they will. Good luck in your adventure. We are looking to FT in the next year or so and going through some of the motions mentioned here. That said, we've owned several different MH's over the past decade and I feel pretty good about what we want in an RV. Aside from floor plan, quality and reliability are equally my number one criteria, and if I have to go older in our budget to get it, I am prepared to that. I can tell you I will not buy new. The quality I want can't be found brand new in my budget.

Edd505

Elephant Butte, NM

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/23/19 11:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Everything you ever wanted to know about full timing
https://www.rv-dreams.com/ourhome.html

2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

Chum lee

Albuquerque, NM

View Profile

Posted: 09/23/19 04:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Brittrain333 wrote:

Hello! I am posting here because I am interested in becoming a full-time rver.

Been doing this full time since 2011.

There are no two similar RV campgrounds. Each campground can/will change daily depending on the weather, the guests, the location, etc. RVer's are transient people and you probably will be too. That's a good thing, and, a bad thing, all at the same time.

Be VERY conscious of the weather. It is in charge of you, not the other way around. In general hot/cold, windy weather is NOT your friend. Check the weather daily. Try to plan your trip/location based on favorable weather conditions. DO NOT DRIVE IN ADVERSE WEATHER! Know your limits.

Pay attention to your rig. Inspect it daily if you plan to travel significant distances that day. (over +- 100 miles) RV's break. Be prepared for that. If you are handy, have at least some basic tools with you. If not, have a roadside assistance plan. Learn how the systems on your specific RV work. Read the owners manuals.

You will meet some interesting people, and probably a few you don't like much. Don't hesitate to pack up and leave at the earliest sign of adversity with your neighbor(s). RV's are really good for that.

Plan your trips. You CAN'T just drive anywhere and/or park anywhere like you can in a car. Some people and municipalities really HATE RV's. Accept that and move on.

Have a good time!

Chum lee

Branson N Tucson

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/23/19 04:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Best part of full timing you are always welcome and meet great people. Another family. Plus you get to see this beautiful Country

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Seeking advice for full time rv living
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS