RV.Net Open Roads Forum: This is what happens when you have too much tongue weight...

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> This is what happens when you have too much tongue weight...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
work2much

Jackson Ca

View Profile

Posted: 09/24/19 01:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm curious if the first truck was a 350. After bending it he went with the 450. Given that the spotting of this truck seemed to be in Canada I'm also wondering if hitting a big ice heave could have been responsible. We went through Canada a couple years ago and some of those dips are no joke. Combined with a heavy camper and too much tongue weight from that long trailer extension could put a huge momentary load on the back end of the truck frame.

Hard to fathom breaking a second truck in the same way as the first. Not much of a learning curve...

2017 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.
2018 Host Mammoth. 1080 Watts solar. 600 AH usable LFP battery. Magnum 2800 Watt inverter.
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited toad.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 09/24/19 11:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Now the facebook page got poofed.
More and more mystery.

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/19 05:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does the tongue extension increase the down pressure on the ball? As long as I remember I have used a longer bar when I needed to lift more...

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/19 08:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Shorter hitch = less weight on the axle and less stress on the frame.
I used my F450 with 18,000 trailer and I had it loaded to the degree when front wheels were barely having any load and I had to use trailer brakes alone to have control during slowing down.
The frame had not even indication of being stress, although C&C frames are different that those made for normal beds.
Bottom line, I am not buying Ford frame can bend like that, even less that it was drive able.

wnjj

Cornelius, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/19 09:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

I used my F450 with 18,000 trailer and I had it loaded to the degree when front wheels were barely having any load and I had to use trailer brakes alone to have control during slowing down.
The frame had not even indication of being stress, although C&C frames are different that those made for normal beds.
Bottom line, I am not buying Ford frame can bend like that, even less that it was drive able.

So you’re saying someone faked at least two pictures and a video? I watched the video and it seems to be driving fine, though a little slowly. Why is this so tough for people to believe?

The video link on the previous page still plays fine for me and I don’t have a Facebook account.

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/19 09:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

I think you mean a longer ball to axle of TV will put a higher percentage of TW on the rear axle of TV. Which means extending the hitch back would be bad. I agree. OTOH, looking at the picture, the ball is in the stock location, but they extended the tongue, moving the coupler away from the trailer axles. This would reduce the down pressure coupler to ball, reduce stress on frame.
For the TW alone to cause this issue you would need the tongue and extension to be stronger then the 2 frame rails. Wiley is looking around, past the cliff edge.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/19 10:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wnjj wrote:

So you’re saying someone faked at least two pictures and a video? I watched the video and it seems to be driving fine, though a little slowly. Why is this so tough for people to believe?

The video link on the previous page still plays fine for me and I don’t have a Facebook account.

Yesterday I was getting message that the video got removed, although it plays today.
Still
-why the photographer stop recording in most interesting point?
-why the situation, who happened years ago made it to facebook 3 months ago?
The pictures show the tie-downs on the ground, when you don't see any sparks on video.
Hard to believe situation like that would not make any more headlines. If it was real...
Would your truck bend like that, would you continue driving without unhooking the trailer?

wnjj

Cornelius, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/19 11:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

wnjj wrote:

Yesterday I was getting message that the video got removed, although it plays today.
Still
-why the photographer stop recording in most interesting point?
-why the situation, who happened years ago made it to facebook 3 months ago?
The pictures show the tie-downs on the ground, when you don't see any sparks on video.
Hard to believe situation like that would not make any more headlines. If it was real...
Would your truck bend like that, would you continue driving without unhooking the trailer?

-I don't know why it stops but there's enough to see in what's there.
-The two tone truck happened years ago. I'm assuming the white one happened recently.
-Hard to see sparks in the daytime but you can sure hear it dragging.
-He was driving slow with the hazzard lights on and likely not far. I would too if I wanted my rig off the highway. The hitch was probably too bound up to disconnect and/or the camper is sitting on it.

I defer to Occam's razor for this one.

Fordlover

Spring, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/19 11:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm beginning to believe this is a result of modifications the owner is doing. for a 350 and a 450 to fail apparently in the exact same way... Perhaps he's doing something to the frame to accomodate the hitch and it is weakening the frame and allowing it to bend in the same spot. The lengthened tongue on the trailer looks like a custom job/shade tree engineering job.

I'd think he would have learned his lesson after the first one! The frame on my 250 is way weaker than the 450, and mine hasn't bent even one time. [emoticon]

2016 Skyline Layton Javelin 285BH
2018 F-250 Lariat Crew 6.2 Gas 4x4 FX4 4.30 Gear
2007 Infiniti G35 Sport 6 speed daily driver
Retired 2002 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8 4x4
Sold 2007 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST19CK

Eric&Lisa

Scappoose, OR

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/19 02:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looks like the same camper.
Looks like the same trailer.
Looks like a *different* truck (but similar).
Looks like a *different* location.

My conclusion: Same owner, different events.

Supposition: The owner did something stupid and broke his truck. Got a replacement truck that was similar but not identical. Did the same stupid thing.

Thinking through the physics... That would take a heck-of-a-lot of weight behind the rear axle to cause the front end of the truck to pop up. I cannot believe that Ford, or anyone else, would design a frame so weak that it would break in two. Not to mention if there really was that much weight behind the rear axle, that would have lowered the weight on the front wheels and made this a bastard to drive and brake.

This picture:
[image]

Look at where the front tie-downs are mounted. Total WAG on my part... What if they were welded in place by someone who didn't know what they are doing? If heated & cooled improperly, metal can lose its strength. It is not a big stretch on my part to see someone screw up a front tie-down install and weaken that critical part of the frame... "I'm gonna redneck weld this in place so good that it will never break off."....and they end up with a weak spot at the most critical structural point of the frame.

Alternative possibility... Maybe a bad bump at too high of speed broke the frame downward, and the resulting weight distribution generated these pictures after it stopped?

Just one guy's armchair analysis...
-Eric

Eric & Lisa - Oregon
'97 Silverado K2500, New HT383 motor!, Airbags, anti-sway bar
'03 Lance model 1030, generator, solar,

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> This is what happens when you have too much tongue weight...
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.