|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Good news... dreaming of BEV Class A

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/23/19 08:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dale.Traveling wrote:

rk911 wrote:

Uh, there you go you naysayer you. I'm a full-fledged EV naysayer to the extent that EV's won't be practical till they have the cross-country range and can be "re-fueled" as quickly as a gas/diesel vehicle. When that happens I may be on board.

Exactly, if it's going to take in excess of 40 hours to recharge a depleted 500kW battery from a campground 12kW outlet then what is the gain? And does anyone really expect a long haul CDL driver to politely wait behind an RV to recharge his rig at the interstate off ramp super-duper charging station?

Exactly, Elon Musk whose whole battalion of brilliant people who was able to come up with a reusable rocket ship and had it land on a barge will be stumped by this problem of multiple recharging outlet for EVs. Yes sir, he will. Trust me.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 09/24/19 06:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

Report was 500 miles on 75,000 lbs (80,000 lbs capacity). It's not independently verified though as it's Tesla's own tests.

Considering 80,000lb is the legal limit in most states and the battery pack will run around 15-20,000lb (that's in addition to the weight of the truck), you are looking at a lot less cargo capacity and trucking companies sell cargo capacity not total weight.

Of course, we also need to know, the speed that is based on. A truck going to the road at freeway speeds is mostly using power to overcome wind resistance. For a city bus that rarely gets over 35mph, wind resistance is pretty minimal. For an RV cruising at 70mph, it may have drastically less range.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 09/24/19 06:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some loads max out on gross, but many, maybe most, cube out first. And a whole lot of loads are less than full trailer, and under weight. Think of all the UPS package trucks. Called in to move them when weather would put them behind, never had over 32,000 on drives (5th wheel set for 12/34 split). I never knew what trailer tandem weighed.
I can see where electric would leave much to be desired for the "Any load, any road" or irregular hauler, (Or RVer) but for a terminal to terminal operation? Example, my truck did not do slip seat. I would pull into UPS, drop their wagon. 10 hrs later, they would have a load. (Go out, pay cash for fuel, so log book could show 10 hrs sleeping) If that was the only kind of work I did, and could plug in while sleeping? Of course, will the E trucks need drivers?

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/24/19 08:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

For an RV cruising at 70mph, it may have drastically less range.

You'll get a ton of traffic tickets in the West Coast for this where speed limit is 55 mph. And high fees for these violations.

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/24/19 08:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

Of course, will the E trucks need drivers?

Looks like the emerging regulation is to have the wheels "manned" even if only remotely so that there can be a manual override in case of glitches or emergency.

Controlled environment like small-city like factories or ports may allow totally driverless operations.

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/24/19 08:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Future of EV

This is UK, Scotland... with tougher targets on petrol and diesel vehicles -- total ban by 2040.

Sponsored article but a glimpse into the future: lamp post chargers, wireless charging... etc.

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 09/24/19 08:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

valhalla360 wrote:

You'll get a ton of traffic tickets in the West Coast for this where speed limit is 55 mph. And high fees for these violations.

Excuse me, but a large percentage of the world is not the west coast...

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

JRscooby wrote:

Of course, will the E trucks need drivers?

Looks like the emerging regulation is to have the wheels "manned" even if only remotely so that there can be a manual override in case of glitches or emergency.

Controlled environment like small-city like factories or ports may allow totally driverless operations.

Well, this is true now. But drivers like all workers, are a expense, to the owners of the US government. And the last few years shows that rules that should protect all can be changed if the money thinks it has a better chance to breed without the rule...

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/24/19 08:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

Well, this is true now. But drivers like all workers, are a expense, to the owners of the US government. And the last few years shows that rules that should protect all can be changed if the money thinks it has a better chance to breed without the rule...

The pattern, though now exactly analogous, must be the modern airplanes.

It can land and take off on it's own and glide via auto-pilot but still got an engineer, navigator and multi-redundant pilots on board.

2bzy2c

California

View Profile

Posted: 09/24/19 04:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Even with the Tesla cars, many are still like beating up on Tesla even though -

1. They produce the highest safety rated vehicle - CHECK
2. They produce the fastest production vehicle - CHECK
3. They produce the least expensive car to operate - CHECK
4. They produce the highest quality vehicle, so much so they
broke the Consumer Reports quality standard (past not present). - CHECK
5. They produce the cleanest operating vehicle - CHECK

But yet, many still bash the company. I guess you can't win no matter what.

My advice is worth exactly what you paid for it.

4x4van

California

View Profile

Posted: 09/24/19 04:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

valhalla360 wrote:

No one, including Semi's and RVs, drive 55 on the West coast.[emoticon]

We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R (2), '85 BW200, '07 TRX400EX, '12 Husky TE310
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II, '95 FX1

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Good news... dreaming of BEV Class A
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS