|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Broken leaf spring

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 09/24/19 07:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fix it your self or take it to a trailer repair shop. It's a quick and easy fix,

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 09/24/19 11:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Fix it your self or take it to a trailer repair shop. It's a quick and easy fix,
It may be a relatively easy fix to a shop/person that has the required tools on hand, which would include grinder, welder, and a way to insure the axle is aligned correctly, but so is an engine rebuild, provided you know how and have the proper tools.

It's unlikely that the OP has the necessary tools at hand to do it himself. So it's not really a quick and easy fix for the OP. I think having it done before traveling any distance over a few miles would be the best choice.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

HappyRetired2015

New Jersey

View Profile

Posted: 09/24/19 02:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your going to continue to have that problem if it’s anything like our piece of **** 2019 Heartland Cyclone 4007. We broke our first shackle leaf spring 6 weeks ago and the dealer did a terrible job welding it back which side lined us 3 days and then we broke down again with the same problem which side lined us a week trying to get Heartland to repair it under warranty. We think we fixed the problem by having a welder come out and add gussets to the shackles to reinforce them. Just 4 hours ago our middle axle wheel was smoking. Thought it was the brake pads rubbing but it wasn’t. Took off the wheel and brake drum and all the pieces inside fell on the ground. So in conclusion, stuck again on the highway and can’t get any help. So a word of advice, DONOT BUT FROM HEARTLAND, IT IS A ROLLING TURD ON WHEELS !!!!!!!

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 09/24/19 02:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

It may be a relatively easy fix to a shop/person that has the required tools on hand, which would include grinder, welder, and a way to insure the axle is aligned correctly, but so is an engine rebuild, provided you know how and have the proper tools.

It's unlikely that the OP has the necessary tools at hand to do it himself. So it's not really a quick and easy fix for the OP. I think having it done before traveling any distance over a few miles would be the best choice.

He said shackle and spring are broken. Shackle not spring hanger I think you are referring to. Simple hand tools can complete this task. If he is not capable it is a simple fix for a trailer repair shop.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 09/24/19 03:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

fj12ryder wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

He said shackle and spring are broken. Shackle not spring hanger I think you are referring to. Simple hand tools can complete this task. If he is not capable it is a simple fix for a trailer repair shop.
While replacing a spring, which is stated as broken, would be a pretty easy job for a shop, I don't think it's something I would care to undertake at a campground without the proper tools, jacks, and support for the trailer axle when the spring is removed.

Of course he could be referring to the spring shackle, rather than spring and shackle. Which would be considerably easier.

dieseltruckdriver

Black Hills of SD

View Profile

Posted: 09/24/19 07:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bucky wrote:

The axle is centered by the spring. You could cause a lot more damage than you want to pay to fix if everything doesn't go perfectly. Where is the spring broken, middle or an one of the eye bolts?

Yep, mine was broken behind the axle now that you mention it, and I did strap it into place so it couldn't move. I should have mentioned that in my previous post.

If you aren't comfortable doing this, then don't. I was a truck driver for 17 years, so roadside fixes are needed at times.

2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

buc1980

houston tx

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/25/19 09:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Get ready of the springs and replace them with Moryde IS.That the best you can do.

2017 Ford F350 DRW,2005 Kountry Star 35ft,14750 lb weight on SAILUN tire,6 points LIPPERD Level-up.New Mor/ryde IS suspension install.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Broken leaf spring
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS