|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> GM Strike

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 15  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
garyp4951

TN

View Profile

Posted: 09/24/19 06:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Former union carpenter, and Teamster.
I read that the UAW employees are upset that they have to pay 3% of their health insurance.
Give me a break.

danrclem

Ky.

View Profile

Posted: 09/24/19 06:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

camperdave wrote:

My personal experience is that our pooled dues were put to good use when we hired an experienced arbitrator to stand for us in contract negotiations. We got way more than we could have without a hired gun, money well spent.

I'm glad that you had good experiences with your union arbitrations and they went well. The place that I worked at was bought out by a Canadian company in 2007 and after that point there wasn't an arbitration win by the union employees. Hmmm, wonder how that happens.

We gave up our pension plan to keep our job. We took wage and benefit cuts to keep our job. A lot of us were laid off for years and a lot lost their recall rights. We did have a retiree medical expense account that helped out with our medical bills but that recently got taken away from us. Supposedly there was an arbitration on this very thing back in 2012 and we lost. No one knew about it until recently when the company told us that. The then vice-president says that he didn't even know anything about the arbitration. Can you smell a rat?

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 09/24/19 07:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

librty02 wrote:

JIMNLIN wrote:

hot dawgs...another bash the American worker troll thread.

Not a troll thread a truth thread...they seem to be bashing themselves...and as a former 10 year union worker that was the worst 10 years of my career. The higher ups in the union only wanted to help themselves and were in cahoots with the company reps...they all got more as the avg union employee got dumped on. Union reps didn't care about their own union brothers and sisters only wanted to load their own pockets. It was a disaster full of lies and corruption. I'm not saying all are bad but there is enough of them and those are the ones ruling the nest ruining american jobs for everyone. If GM were to fold and give them what all they demand that overpriced 70k truck will be a cool 90k in the next year or two and what hard working avg American household can afford a 90k truck?!?!

LOL...you make my point.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

hornet28

Muskegon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/24/19 08:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Was UAW for 43 yrs. As far as profit sharing it sounds great. We had it at various times at the parts supplier I worked for. Trouble was books and figures are cooked so they don't show the set goal. How do I know this? My then foreman was POd that his dept. didn't show the gain he knew it had done. Why? Because in midstream they changed the way it was figured, result, no bonus.
As far as why the UAW picked GM they have always targeted one of the big three knowing that the other two will following lead of the first

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 09/24/19 10:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

UFCW since 1994. I was an organizer for the vote that took my company Union, and have been a shop steward ever since.

I believe that I have a unique perspective here, as I am likely the only one that laid my job on the line to get my company to go Union. I told my wife (who also works for the company) that if this effort failed, we would probably both be fired.
The effort did not fail, and we have seen the MANY improvements to our lives from that effort ever since. Better pay, better benefits. A grievenace procedure to address injustices. A defined benefit pension in addition to the 401K that existed previously, which we have been contributing to all along. And our company has been bought out/absorbed 4 times since then. Many others in our situation in this industry were handed a job application each time, and had to start over... Because of our Union contract, we have been able to keep our Senority/pay and benefits each time.

I do not know the specifics of the UAW/GM dispute. Though on the face of it they appear to have it better than us... But I am not jealous of those that are doing better than us.. There will always be some that do better, as well as those that do worse.
Many people seem to think that nobody deserves to do better than them... I am of the opinion that this attitude holds everyone back.

Now I will not say that Unions are nirvana. Like everything else, they have their pros and cons... But in this non perfect world, I think we are better off with them than without them.
Just as you need two political parties to keep one another in check, you need Unions to keep businesses in check. The pendulum swings both ways. At the moment, Unions are on the ropes. Businesses will take advantage of this, and at some point the people will rise up and reverse the swing.

Now I DO want a speedy resolution, as I have 2020 3500 DRW CC D/A on order!

* This post was edited 09/25/19 02:49am by Huntindog *

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2010 Palomino Sabre 30 BHDS
84 gal. Grey. 84 gal. Black
2 bathrooms, no waiting
2011 Silverado CC DA big dually.

librty02

Western Pa

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/19 03:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JIMNLIN wrote:

librty02 wrote:

JIMNLIN wrote:

hot dawgs...another bash the American worker troll thread.

Not a troll thread a truth thread...they seem to be bashing themselves...and as a former 10 year union worker that was the worst 10 years of my career. The higher ups in the union only wanted to help themselves and were in cahoots with the company reps...they all got more as the avg union employee got dumped on. Union reps didn't care about their own union brothers and sisters only wanted to load their own pockets. It was a disaster full of lies and corruption. I'm not saying all are bad but there is enough of them and those are the ones ruling the nest ruining american jobs for everyone. If GM were to fold and give them what all they demand that overpriced 70k truck will be a cool 90k in the next year or two and what hard working avg American household can afford a 90k truck?!?!

LOL...you make my point.

NEGATIVE SIR....only half...the corrupt half...the half that want it all for nothing without working for it
I've been there seen that lived it [emoticon]
So yes in a sense bashing the american worker who wants everything handed to them without doing anything for it and it happens and ruins it for the other half of the american workers who work hard and just want to make a decent living without upset. That other half ruins it for all of those good folks...and for us other americans too to be able to afford these things we want in life...

* This post was edited 09/25/19 03:40am by librty02 *

2011 FORD F-150 FX4 CREW CAB ECO...
2018 Ford F-150 Max Tow Crew 6.5 3.5 Eco...
2013 Keystone Passport 2650BH, EQUAL-I-ZER 1K/10K

Groover

Pulaski, TN

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/19 06:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't see where the money is going to come from. GM stock has been basically flat ever since they went public again, GM is exiting the car business because they are not competitive, I am seeing adds for $12,000 off on their new trucks, GM's self-driving car business seems to have flopped, they have basically failed in electric cars and the only thing that I have seen advertised other than discounts is a nifty tailgate. When you add in that by historical standards we are already overdue for a recession in general and the auto business in particular things aren't looking good for GM. I sold my stock in GM several months ago.

As for the amount the negotiations themselves, if all of the UAW workers in my area quit I believe that GM could get qualified replacements as fast as they could process the paperwork for at least a 30% discount. Then GM would have a fighting chance in the market. I dare the UAW to test that theory.

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/19 06:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

NEGATIVE SIR....only half...the corrupt half...the half that want it all for nothing without working for it
I've been there seen that lived it

More bashing.
I'm a retired journeyman aircraft tool builder with over 40 years experience in dealing with UAW union....Transport workers union (aerospace).....AFL/CIO union. I've been a member of good standing for all those years so I know worker bashing and exaggeration about the workers when I hear it.
Like I said this is just another anti union troll thread with the same bashers we had the last anti american worker thread which has nothing new to report.

ShinerBock

SATX

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/19 06:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Huntindog wrote:

I do not know the specifics of the UAW/GM dispute. Though on the face of it they appear to have it better than us... But I am not jealous of those that are doing better than us.. There will always be some that do better, as well as those that do worse.
Many people seem to think that nobody deserves to do better than them... I am of the opinion that this attitude holds everyone back.

I am with you on this sentiment, but this mentality is not shared with any union or union member I have ever dealt with especially when it comes to white collar workers or executives. The one's I have dealt with believe they are the ones who think nobody deserves better than them.

* This post was edited 09/25/19 07:14am by ShinerBock *

Charlie D.

E. Texas-Orange

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/25/19 07:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

I don't see where the money is going to come from. GM stock has been basically flat ever since they went public again, GM is exiting the car business because they are not competitive, I am seeing adds for $12,000 off on their new trucks, GM's self-driving car business seems to have flopped, they have basically failed in electric cars and the only thing that I have seen advertised other than discounts is a nifty tailgate. When you add in that by historical standards we are already overdue for a recession in general and the auto business in particular things aren't looking good for GM. I sold my stock in GM several months ago.

As for the amount the negotiations themselves, if all of the UAW workers in my area quit I believe that GM could get qualified replacements as fast as they could process the paperwork for at least a 30% discount. Then GM would have a fighting chance in the market. I dare the UAW to test that theory.

GM profit figures translate to healthy profit-sharing bonuses for GM UAW workers. Each member will receive a $10,750 profit-sharing check on Feb. 22,2019. The figure follows company profits, thus, the bonus is down from $11,750 last year. GM typically leads in its profit-sharing bonuses for UAW members. Ford announced a $7,600 profit-sharing check for its employees coming this March. Fiat Chrysler Automobiles hasn’t disclosed its earning yet.

GM said since 2010 it has paid more than $80,500 to each UAW employee in profit-sharing checks. GM pays an average of $1,000 per billion of profits which were 10.8 in 2018.

Ford profits down more than 50 percent in 2018. Dearborn — Ford Motor Co. made $3.7 billion in 2018, a 52 percent slip in profit compared to the year prior, due largely to poor performance from the company's Chinese and European businesses.Jan 23, 2019. Historical daily share price chart and data for Ford Motor since 1972 adjusted for splits. The latest closing stock price for Ford Motor as of September 24, 2019 is 9.11. and is rated "Junk"

The all-time high Ford Motor stock closing price was 42.45 on May 03, 1999.
Along with GM, Ford and Chrysler are existing or greatly reducing their car businesses in favor of trucks, crossovers and SUVs. Honda has said they believe there is still a market for sedans and it appears the other auto makers feel the same way.
Remember when people were dumping trucks and SUV's when oil prices soar? Is that going to happen again?

Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 15  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> GM Strike
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS