RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: GM Strike

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > GM Strike

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 15  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
JRscooby

Indepmo

Senior Member

Joined: 06/10/2019

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/25/19 07:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Starting in '73 I have paid dues to Teamsters when the job required it, and at the end of job pulled a withdraw card. And on more than a few occasions, when a driver said he wanted to go union, I sold him the truck, owner finance, pay as you work it. (Most that bought my old junk are still driving their on truck, some more successful than I ever was) For 2 years, before it was noticed, the "Proud to be Teamster" sticker, they required me to run on tailgate, read "I Bribe Teamster" (Issue with company leased to, union "if you was a driver we could... but you own the truck so, be sure you get the dues in next month).
Now somebody mentioned unions encouraging "class warfare" between workers and management. Fact is, unity between workers is the only defense against management, as the representative of capital in a country where capital controls the government. (Court just ruled the US government can target a working person for death, and does not have to give that person reason for the target so he can prove he should not be killed.)
Talk about the danger of parking brand x in brand y factory parking lot. I have discussed this with UAW members. Ask what percentage of your income do you spend on car? A better place to slice tires, IMHO, would be cars with UAW stickers in Walmart parking lot.
Complaining about the taxpayers picking up the cost of past retirees? Think about that for a minute. Yes, the retirees are getting paid buy the Gov, but not the total of what was promised. OTOH, Management promised to pay what the company could not afford. Can you say the management was doing a good job, earning their pay? But AFAIK, the upper management got everything that was promised. But it is the workers fault?
Workers ahead of loan holders in bankruptcy court? My issue is this so rarely happens.
Are some unions corrupt? Yes, but as a country we celebrate the corrupt.

Charlie D.

E. Texas-Orange

Senior Member

Joined: 09/12/2006

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 09/25/19 07:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

The employees must be doing better than I thought. If they can afford to strike they are doing good. If they were in poor shape they would continue to work under the old contacts while negotiating the new. Both unions and management need to clean their acts. Management compensation is not commensurate with management contributions. GM and their workers lost my business years ago with their paint jobs on trucks that lasted until you drove off the lot, doors rusting thru quickly, AC units failing quickly, leaks in trunk. Took me a while to learn but never again.


GM management is now rated better than in the past and better than Ford and Chrysler from several sources I have read.
In my lifetime I have had 4 Ford products, 2 Chrysler's, and 11 GM products of which 3 were 2500 diesels. In that time I had a recall for possible water leaks in the trunk of which there was not a leak. Several other recalls such as inspection of seat belts twice and 1 possible cable pinch on the electric seat. One AC failure on a 1977, a door lock that fell into the door, 3 glow plugs and a failed EGR valve and 1 clearcoat area on my GMC Jimmy back in the late 70's.

EDIT: On the subject of temporary/part time workers, all of the Big 3 do this


Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired

librty02

Western Pa

Senior Member

Joined: 03/15/2009

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/25/19 07:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JIMNLIN wrote:

Quote:

NEGATIVE SIR....only half...the corrupt half...the half that want it all for nothing without working for it
I've been there seen that lived it

More bashing.
I'm a retired journeyman aircraft tool builder with over 40 years experience in dealing with UAW union....Transport workers union (aerospace).....AFL/CIO union. I've been a member of good standing for all those years so I know worker bashing and exaggeration about the workers when I hear it.
Like I said this is just another anti union troll thread with the same bashers we had the last anti american worker thread which has nothing new to report.


If you can read....I stated NOT ALL are bad...you have that half that are and ruin it for the rest...I've been a union employee before the steel workers union I was in I'd say only half of the employees actually did work the other half worked harder trying to get out of doing any work and were the first ones who wanted to strike and wanted everything handed to them on a silver platter and that is absolutely NO EXAGGERATION...those are the ones that ruin it for the union members who truly work like I did and I believe you were one of those also with the passion you have behind this. It pissed me off to know end when I would bust my hump day in day out and others who sat and did nothing got the same pay same raises same benefits etc...

Want to call me a union basher that's fine call me what you want but I've been there I know what it's like there are a lot of good people in them and a lot of bad...and unfortunately the bad always takes over...


2011 FORD F-150 FX4 CREW CAB ECO...
2018 Ford F-150 Max Tow Crew 6.5 3.5 Eco...
2013 Keystone Passport 2650BH, EQUAL-I-ZER 1K/10K

tomman58

Southeast Michigan

Senior Member

Joined: 06/12/2005

View Profile





Offline
Posted: 09/25/19 07:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Interesting reading. Union electrician for 45 years, retired at 59 with my local pension and got my 2 international pension at 62. Life is good now and would never look back and change anything.
The board here has many that were in a union and felt the demands of their employers. The big thing is without the unions most nonunion folks would be getting far less by their employers because their bosses had to pay more to keep their employees.


2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

ShinerBock

SATX

Senior Member

Joined: 02/22/2015

View Profile



Posted: 09/25/19 07:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The UAW and it's leaders are not perfect. They are human and fallible just like anyone else. The UAW is like any other company with workers and executives ensuring that they remain relevant and profitable. There will be good, and there will be bad. However, you can't just dismiss the bad as "fake news" or bashing just because you don't want to see anything negative about it simply because you favor the UAW and other unions. You should strive to get the truth regardless of your bias feelings. In other words, let the truth change your beliefs, not your beliefs change the truth.

UAW leader charged with embezzling union........d contract talks with Detroit automakers

US prosecutors charge ex-UAW official wi........iracy in widening union corruption probe

* This post was edited 09/25/19 08:07am by ShinerBock *

Groover

Pulaski, TN

Senior Member

Joined: 10/17/2007

View Profile


Online
Posted: 09/25/19 08:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Charlie D.
"Along with GM, Ford and Chrysler are existing or greatly reducing their car businesses in favor of trucks, crossovers and SUVs. Honda has said they believe there is still a market for sedans and it appears the other auto makers feel the same way."

There seems to be a correlation between having the in your shop UAW and and having a competitive car. If it wasn't for the "chicken tax" we would probably be having the same thing happen with truck production.

ShinerBock

SATX

Senior Member

Joined: 02/22/2015

View Profile



Posted: 09/25/19 08:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Groover wrote:

Charlie D.
"Along with GM, Ford and Chrysler are existing or greatly reducing their car businesses in favor of trucks, crossovers and SUVs. Honda has said they believe there is still a market for sedans and it appears the other auto makers feel the same way."

There seems to be a correlation between having the in your shop UAW and and having a competitive car. If it wasn't for the "chicken tax" we would probably be having the same thing happen with truck production.


And if it wasn't for the UAW, there would not be a chicken tax. They were the ones who requested that President LBJ add it to the tariff and continue to lobby for it, not the big three.

Groover

Pulaski, TN

Senior Member

Joined: 10/17/2007

View Profile


Online
Posted: 09/25/19 08:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ShinerBock wrote:

Groover wrote:

Charlie D.
"Along with GM, Ford and Chrysler are existing or greatly reducing their car businesses in favor of trucks, crossovers and SUVs. Honda has said they believe there is still a market for sedans and it appears the other auto makers feel the same way."

There seems to be a correlation between having the in your shop UAW and and having a competitive car. If it wasn't for the "chicken tax" we would probably be having the same thing happen with truck production.


And if it wasn't for the UAW, there would not be a chicken tax. They were the ones who requested that President LBJ add it to the tariff and continue to lobby for it, not the big three.


So why aren't the unions doing more to support tariffs and calling out those who say that tariffs are bad?

ShinerBock

SATX

Senior Member

Joined: 02/22/2015

View Profile



Posted: 09/25/19 08:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Groover wrote:

ShinerBock wrote:

Groover wrote:

Charlie D.
"Along with GM, Ford and Chrysler are existing or greatly reducing their car businesses in favor of trucks, crossovers and SUVs. Honda has said they believe there is still a market for sedans and it appears the other auto makers feel the same way."

There seems to be a correlation between having the in your shop UAW and and having a competitive car. If it wasn't for the "chicken tax" we would probably be having the same thing happen with truck production.


And if it wasn't for the UAW, there would not be a chicken tax. They were the ones who requested that President LBJ add it to the tariff and continue to lobby for it, not the big three.


So why aren't the unions doing more to support tariffs and calling out those who say that tariffs are bad?


My guess, because it is a republican calling for higher tariffs not a democrat, and the UAW (and most unions)traditionally supports only democrats. However, if you look at their lobbying, most unions actually support higher foreign tariffs.

Funny thing regarding this though. My brother is apart of the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers, and he told me the local leaders just had a reckoning the last meeting after the members found out that the union gave money to mostly(over 95%) democratic candidates even though roughly 90% of the local members vote the other way. He said the members are proposing that they get a vote one where the money goes.

* This post was edited 09/25/19 08:59am by ShinerBock *

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

Senior Member

Joined: 09/14/2003

View Profile



Posted: 09/25/19 12:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yeah this is a issue in all unions as unions are smart enough to know which party will support unions/members and which party and their supporters want to do away with them.

Reading this thread is a good example of that.


"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 15  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > GM Strike
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS