RV.Net Open Roads Forum: US Border agent gave my passport to.....??

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> US Border agent gave my passport to.....??

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev
Sponsored By:
JaxDad

Greater Toronto Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/26/19 04:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

JaxDad wrote:

To say someone is “from” ......... or they are “citizens of” ........ is nothing more than lubricant for the spin doctors.

As an example, there are a LOT of people who hold a Canadian passport which technically makes them “a Canadian”. Does that mean they were born here? Raised here? Are reflective of the rest of our society?

It means they went through a process and moved to a new country, nothing more.

I don't understand what you mean. And likely I was not clear about what I was trying to say. My point is on 9-11-2001 17 out of 19 hijackers that attacked the US where from, or citizens of, Saudi Arabia. And most of the people accused of planing and financing the attack also where from, or citizens of, Saudi Arabia.

Crowe wrote:

Please, all, let's not get political and get this thread shut down. It's an interesting "what would you do?" type scenario that many of us could potentially face that has nothing to do with politics.

I was in fact trying to make it totally apolitical by pointing out that the flag on the front of a persons passport no longer reflects the true situation as to the person or their background.

We in North America, even Europe, don’t understand the way things work in the Middle East. You can change nationalities there like we change underwear here.

For years it was the dirty little secret, if you want to put on a cloak of anonymity in the Middle East and cease to be a citizen of (insert country of ill-repute here) and travel freely all you had to do go to Saudi Arabia and get citizenship there.

Voila, you are now welcomed in places you would have formerly been scrutinized if not rejected in.

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 09/27/19 04:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Crowe wrote:

Please, all, let's not get political and get this thread shut down. It's an interesting "what would you do?" type scenario that many of us could potentially face that has nothing to do with politics.

I can't see where my point would be political, unless somebody was pretty defensive about standing on shaky ground.

JaxDad wrote:

I was in fact trying to make it totally apolitical by pointing out that the flag on the front of a persons passport no longer reflects the true situation as to the person or their background.

We in North America, even Europe, don’t understand the way things work in the Middle East. You can change nationalities there like we change underwear here.

For years it was the dirty little secret, if you want to put on a cloak of anonymity in the Middle East and cease to be a citizen of (insert country of ill-repute here) and travel freely all you had to do go to Saudi Arabia and get citizenship there.

Voila, you are now welcomed in places you would have formerly been scrutinized if not rejected in.

I confess, I did not know that about the Middle East. But, with my limited knowledge of recent history, I would think changing to SA should make it harder to get a visa, not easier.

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/27/19 07:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can't see where my point would be political, unless somebody was pretty defensive about standing on shaky ground.

If you can't see it then pointing it out is useless.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be Douglas Adams

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/19 07:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Crowe wrote:

If you can't see it then pointing it out is useless.

I do not see anything political about pointing out SA is not on the list. Now if I started to give reasons why I believe it is not, I would be talking of corruption, and the only defense that could be mounted would be political. And I bet a large percentage of both sides of the debate (that should not happen here) have ever looked at the list, but just assumed SA would be there.

Planning

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/19 07:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Political?

The very premise of national borders, internal and external security practices, and the travel liberties of citizens is nothing but political.

Politics and "political" is from the Greek "polis", the term used to describe the city-state and all of the issues that flow from the existence thereof.

To avoid "politics" while discussing the instant issue is like trying to avoid discussing water while treading and drinking it.

2016 AF 29-5K; 2016 F350 6.7, 4x4, CCLB DRW

ol Bombero-JC

USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/19 01:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Planning wrote:

Political?

To avoid "politics" while discussing the instant issue is like trying to avoid discussing water while treading and drinking it.

Pass on drinking the KoolAid!

[emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> US Border agent gave my passport to.....??
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS