|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Brand New Deep Cycle Batteries Keep Dying Overnight

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
sjls

Alaska

View Profile

Posted: 09/24/19 10:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just purchased (2) Brand New RV/Marine Batteries (Thinking I had bad Batteries) for my 1996 Winnebago Class C. It turns out there is a parasitic drain on the dual batteries of 2.35 amps when everything in the Motorhome is turned off. The strange thing is when I press the AUX Start Button by the steering wheel the drain on the house RV batteries drops down to 0.4 amps. I know there is a bridge / link between the engine battery and the house batteries but it appears that power is being drawn upfront and the drain is not caused from something running in the Motorhome side. Any ideas or suggestions?

azdryheat

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/24/19 10:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What happens when you hit the house disconnect switch?

2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2011 Harley Ultra Limited
2016 RZR 900

lane hog

Tucson, AZ & NW Chicago Burbs, IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/24/19 11:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our Winnebago has a switch between the house and engine for the radio, but I can't see that being a 2.35 amp draw...

• 2005 Winnebago "Minnie" 31C (was a three-time Jayco owner)
  • 2012 MasterTow Dolly pulling a 2003 Jeep Liberty (had Ram 2500 CTD, Dodge Durango, Honda Odyssey...)
  • Onan Microquiet 4000, plus 130W solar and Honda EU2000i twins for backup

sjls

Alaska

View Profile

Posted: 09/24/19 11:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The good news is that when I switch that main battery disconnect to OFF for the house power the reading on my volt meter is 0 so we know that works as it should. Its just when its turned on and everything else is off inside the motorhome something is draining down my batteries.

EV2

South Dakota/Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/25/19 12:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Considering possibilities, do you have an inverter that is live when house is connected?

sjls

Alaska

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/19 01:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have (2) Power Inverters installed but both turned off. Actually one of those inverters I removed completely last week but cables are still there - just taped up out of the way. Even though that line to the old (removed) inverter is still hot and live wire I can't imagine that drawing current as its no longer connected to anything.

ron.dittmer

North-East Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/19 04:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi Steve,

You did not mention what you own, brand, model, model year, etc. That might help.

Here are a few things that come to-mind, especially with an older motor home.

Open all your outdoor compartments. Maybe the lights were left on in one or more of them. If you have florescent lighting, one of your lights might be on, the bulbs just didn't light up. A florescent light fixture might also be faulty.

The one inverter still connected, don't just turn it off, as an experiment, disconnect it and see if that makes the difference.

Most RV roof antennas are equipped with a 12v signal booster of some kind that stays on all the time unless you intentionally turn it off. Locate it, turn it off by pressing the tiny button, and see if your drain is gone. It might use a lot of electricity or it could be faulty. Look for something like this near the TV. My signal booster runs hot. I turn it on only when watching antenna TV.
[image]

Install a cheap 12v volt meter, somewhere in the house in a place you can see. If you have a 12v outlet, plug one into there. I got fancy and installed one that also displays the time and temperature, in the kitchen hood/vent. Ebay sells both types very cheap. It helps me to always know the battery voltage, when they are draining, how fast they are draining, also when and how much they are charging.
[image]

2007 Phoenix Cruiser model 2350, with 2006 Jeep Liberty in-tow

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/25/19 06:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How did you measure your parasitic drain of 2.35 amps? I would measure the draw by removing the neg cable and inserting the leads from your multimeter set on 10 amps between the neg cable and neg post. Then do the same on your starting battery. What do these read? If draw is only on the house batteries, pull each fuse in the 12v panel to see which one removes the draw then you will be able to isolate which circuit is causing the drain.

bobndot

USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/19 07:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

pull each fuse in the 12v panel to see which one removes the draw then you will be able to isolate which circuit is causing the drain.

That's the way to isolate your problem. [emoticon]

RoyB

King George, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/25/19 08:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have one of these CRAFTSMAN CLAMP ON DC AMP meter that comes in real handy when trying to locate amp draw...

Really comes in handy for looking for DC drains... Just clamp around any wire you want to measure...

[image]
Google image

Roy Ken
[image]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Brand New Deep Cycle Batteries Keep Dying Overnight
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS