|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Brand New Deep Cycle Batteries Keep Dying Overnight

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/19 08:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Much better and easier to use a clampon ammeter.

Disconnection and reconnecting a circuit may change/reduce the draw due to a reset condition and hence it's easy to be mislead about where the draw is occurring.

RVs have parasitic draws that cannot be turned off. My inverter cannot be turned off - sleep mode is not off. My salesman switch turns some items off and the Monaco battery disconnect switch turns off more items but still have a battery drain.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/19 08:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sjls wrote:

The strange thing is when I press the AUX Start Button by the steering wheel the drain on the house RV batteries drops down to 0.4 amps. I know there is a bridge / link between the engine battery and the house batteries but it appears that power is being drawn upfront and the drain is not caused from something running in the Motorhome side. Any ideas or suggestions?
Just the opposite may be happening. With the solenoid engaged (which draws it's own amps) the house is now drawing some amps from the chassis battery hence reducing the house battery draw.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/25/19 08:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Remove the connection to the chassis and see what fails. Although don't let your chassis battery run flat dead either.

Need to find the leak. Divide and conquer. That is you need to isolate systems to find the issue. Pulling fuses and the clamp-on ammeter are both good methods.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/19 08:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While I have a Sears clampon I would not buy one today if you can even find a open Sears store - yes I know there are some.

I recently bought a new one from Lowes while not a Fluke it's accurate and very acceptable for RV work. Be sure to buy one with AC and DC amp capability.

ndrorder

Southwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/25/19 02:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

By pushing the boost button, it ties the starter battery together with the house batteries. The parasitic draw is the same and still there. The only difference is that the starter battery is now providing 1.95 amps of the drain and the house batteries are providing 0.4 amps. This is confirmation that the drain is on the house side of the system.

Like bobndot suggested, watch the current drain as you remove and reinstall each fuse in the distribution panel. If that doesn't help, there may be high amperage loads connected directly to the load side of the disconnect relay causing the drain to investigate.

Good luck

maillemaker

office

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/26/19 11:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And beware, some things may be hardwired to the battery with their own fuses.

My RV was so old it did not have a built-in propane leak detector. So I installed a combo propane/CO detector - hardwired to the house battery. It has its own fuse on the wires that run to it. So pulling fuses at the converter won't find that.

Likewise I installed a cigarette lighter outlet under the kitchen table with a USB adapter in it. This is also hardwired to the house battery again with its own fuse inline. The USB adapter has a little LED on it, so it is always drawing power.

1990 Winnebago Warrior. "She may not look like much but she's got it where it counts!"

Harvey51

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 09/29/19 10:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Clampmeter with DC amps range for $50.
https://www.amazon.com/Multimeter-BTMETER-BT-570C-APP-Resistance-Temperature/dp/B07CFWL3SY/ref=sr_1_25?keywords=dc+clamp+meter&qid=1569816381&sr=8-25

Uni-T brand for about $50.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/UNI-T-UT210E-Digital-Clamp-Meter-Multimeter-Handheld-RMS-AC-DC-Mini-Resistance/303171177473?epid=10024590837&hash=item4696690c01:g:~UcAAOSwNqRcLYXX
I have had a Uni-T brand for about the same price for years and it works perfectly.
Careful going lower in price - it may only measure AC amps. Measuring DC amps without contact requires a very special Hall Effect sensor to measure the tiny magnetic field that circulates around a current flowing in a wire.

My batteries apparently died overnight in the first year of use on a long trip. I was using the idiot lights and voltage readings to get the state of charge. The thing is the voltage on the battery is what the charging voltage was for hours so the voltage method can be overly optimistic for hours after any charging. I thought engine charging was keeping the batteries fully charged but it wasn’t. The solution is a battery monitor that counts amp-hours going in and out of the batteries to calculate the per cent of full charge.
I have a $30 one from eBay that works very well.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-120V-100A-Battery-Monitor-State-of-Charge-Remaining-Capacity-AMP-Voltage-AH-/182147916411?hash=item2a68dca27b:g:gWUAAOSwyQtVz1vp

* This post was last edited 09/29/19 10:50pm by Harvey51 *   View edit history

2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Brand New Deep Cycle Batteries Keep Dying Overnight
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS