|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Find any place on the planet without an address

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
joebedford

Finally back home in the north

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/19 01:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

470,000 cubed. No need to drop one for the 2nd and 3rd word.

rk911

Wheaton IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/28/19 06:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

T18skyguy wrote:

Tyler0215 wrote:

Are there trillions of three word combinations?
I'll take "You are here."

That's what surprised me. Who'd a thunk that you could map little sections of the entire world with only 3 words. But I guess the dictionary is proof. I googled how many words in the Oxford dictionary and they came back with 470,000. Maybe one of our math majors can figure that out for us.

essentially 470,000 to the third power or 470,000 x 469,999 x 469,998 combinations of three words. that universe of word combinations grows if you use words in different languages or shrinks if you restrict eligible words to words with 5-letters or less (as an example). building the required database would be a nightmare.

btw, the 9-1-1 system requires the use of standard addressing...every building must have a physical address as in 1234 Brown street. occupants and owners are encouraged to post those numbers in a well lighted place on their building that can be easily seen from the street.

Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

mustard

Sarasota,FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/28/19 07:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

punomatic: you are assuming that the three words have to be different.

47e+4 * 47e+4 *47e+4 = 1.03823e+17

or 103.823 quadrillion

My area would be labeled "Mine,Mine,Mine" :-)

ghooos

yeaop

View Profile

Posted: 10/22/19 12:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Before the introduction of postcodes in London, letters wandered around the city, not always finding their addressee. The increase in the number of inhabitants in the mid-19th century made it necessary to introduce a single centralized https://postcodefinder.net system. As a result, 100,000 houses in London were assigned different numbers, and 4,800 districts were given other names.

NatParkJunkie

Pittsburgh

View Profile

Posted: 10/29/19 09:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There, Their, They're

mapguy

Puget Sound

View Profile

Posted: 11/01/19 05:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would like to know how Enhanced e911 is going to incorporate a address storage system such as this idea.....

4x4van

California

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/19 04:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This might be good for providing someone (that also has the app) a location to go to, but for general navigation the system has a fatal flaw: without a smart device running this specific app that knows where that unique 3-word "address" is, the words are worthless. Since each "address" will be unique and will have no relation to the "address" right next to it, how do you find one spot in a trillion? How do you know if you are close to your destination? With the current system, a person can find a specific address they're looking for by going to that street and watching the numbers go up (or down)...they know if they are getting close...going the right or wrong way... But with this system you have no idea if you are anywhere near where you want to go, nor which direction.

There is a reason that addresses on a street are sequential. There is a reason that there is some order to GPS coordinates. There is a reason that you need to be able to read a map in the wilderness even if you are carrying a GPS. Street names, addresses, even GPS coordinates...are usable and navicable with or without high tech electronic devices.

People nowadays do not even know the phone numbers of their friends or even relatives; they rely on their "smart" phone. When that device dies, then what? Not only will they be unable to contact anyone they actually know, will they now be unable to navigate anywhere as well?

Wait, I guess the argument could be made that that is already happening...

* This post was edited 11/20/19 08:58am by 4x4van *

We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R (2), '85 BW200, '07 TRX400EX, '12 Husky TE310
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II, '95 FX1

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Find any place on the planet without an address
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS