RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tuolumne Meadows Campgrounds is closed for the season.

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Public Lands, Boondocking and ...

Open Roads Forum  >  Public Lands, Boondocking and Dry Camping

 > Tuolumne Meadows Campgrounds is closed for the season.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

Senior Member

Joined: 03/28/2018

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Online
Posted: 09/28/19 11:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And snow at Yosemite National Park is forecast today.

Winter is most beautiful at Yosemite Valley.

Not just because of the super tender and delicious lamb chop at Ahwahnee Hotel (now Majestic?).

* This post was edited 09/28/19 11:42am by Yosemite Sam1 *

agesilaus

North Florida

Senior Member

Joined: 05/06/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 09/28/19 11:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You mean for now or for all winter?

You have to be a tenter or have a darned small RV to get in there.


Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper


Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

Senior Member

Joined: 03/28/2018

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Online
Posted: 09/28/19 11:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

agesilaus wrote:

You mean for now or for all winter?

You have to be a tenter or have a darned small RV to get in there.


Sorry, as edited, my notification from Yosemite NP says it's closed for the season.

And yeah, you might not even get to Tuolomene as they usually close the Tioga Pass too.

I was there last winter camping in the village with my RV and I met a few veteran winter campers who hike there for tent camping.

Lwiddis

Los Angeles area :(

Senior Member

Joined: 08/12/2016

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Online
Posted: 09/28/19 12:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A “deal” has been made. The name is back...Ahwahnee Hotel.


Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)


agesilaus

North Florida

Senior Member

Joined: 05/06/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 09/28/19 03:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was there last winter camping in the village with my RV and I met a few veteran winter campers who hike there for tent camping.
-------------------------------------------------
Yeah there is a trail up from the valley, indeed there is a ranger station manned up there somewhere in the winter. A pair (or couple) of rangers hike up from the valley. I assume they stock it up in the summer.

Ramblin' Ralph

Central California Coast

Senior Member

Joined: 10/27/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/29/19 03:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I crossed over Tioga Pass going West yesterday (Sat) about noon. The ranger at the booth said:
"This road will be closed at 4 p.m. today. Do not be on it after that" (or something similar).

It was nice and sunny at the time. Guess they were being cautious.


Ralph
2006 GMC 2500HD, XCab, SB, 6.0L w/2001 Lance 845
Bilstein Shocks, TorkLift Stable Loads, 125 watt solar
My RV Travels Webpage / Yearly Campsite Map / 690 Campsites / YouTube Videos /
Instagram / Twitter


profdant139

Southern California

Senior Member

Joined: 11/14/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/08/19 10:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yep. We stayed at Tuolumne Meadows for a few days just before the snow arrived and then moved to the national forest near Lee Vining for some boondocking. We knew we were going to get a dusting -- not a problem.

We parked the truck right next to the trailer at an angle across the path of the wind, hoping that the truck would shelter the trailer so that it would not shake too much during the 60 mph gusts. It worked -- we slept through most of the storm. This shot was taken just as the sun came up:

[image]
[image]Click For Full-Size Image.


2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."


Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

Senior Member

Joined: 03/28/2018

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Online
Posted: 10/08/19 11:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

profdant139 wrote:

Yep. We stayed at Tuolumne Meadows for a few days just before the snow arrived and then moved to the national forest near Lee Vining for some boondocking. We knew we were going to get a dusting -- not a problem.

We parked the truck right next to the trailer at an angle across the path of the wind, hoping that the truck would shelter the trailer so that it would not shake too much during the 60 mph gusts. It worked -- we slept through most of the storm. This shot was taken just as the sun came up:

[image]
[image]Click For Full-Size Image.



Beautiful. To Lee Vining, why not Yosemite Valley where it's really lovely in winter?

What are you pulling with your Tacoma? There is a debate here (or some other forum) saying this, 4runner and Highlander are not appropriate for towing medium sized trailers.

profdant139

Southern California

Senior Member

Joined: 11/14/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/08/19 11:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sam, it's like Yogi Berra said about a popular restaurant: "Nobody goes there anymore because it's too crowded." The Valley is pretty but not silent, unlike the high country of the Eastern Sierra. So we only go to the Valley in the dead of winter! (The campgrounds are nice a quiet when the temps are below freezing.)

And my little trailer (2500 lbs, fully loaded) could be pulled by a mountain bike. The Tacoma is rated for 7000 lb. I like to keep a big cushion of safety, because we go into such rough and steep terrain. The Taco pulls that little rig right through mud and sand and snow, and it is great on mountain descents. Just put it into second gear and sit back as it chugs down the hill at 30 mph.

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

Senior Member

Joined: 03/28/2018

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Online
Posted: 10/08/19 12:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

profdant139 wrote:

Sam, it's like Yogi Berra said about a popular restaurant: "Nobody goes there anymore because it's too crowded." The Valley is pretty but not silent, unlike the high country of the Eastern Sierra. So we only go to the Valley in the dead of winter! (The campgrounds are nice a quiet when the temps are below freezing.)

And my little trailer (2500 lbs, fully loaded) could be pulled by a mountain bike. The Tacoma is rated for 7000 lb. I like to keep a big cushion of safety, because we go into such rough and steep terrain. The Taco pulls that little rig right through mud and sand and snow, and it is great on mountain descents. Just put it into second gear and sit back as it chugs down the hill at 30 mph.


I understand. Last summer will be the last time we'll go there on a busy season. I prefer Tuolumne myself and if I'm camping will never go to the Valley except to buy necessities.

Tioga Pass is the object of my nightmare. But I'm sure your Taco and lighter trailer can handle it with a cinch.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Public Lands, Boondocking and Dry Camping

 > Tuolumne Meadows Campgrounds is closed for the season.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Public Lands, Boondocking and ...


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS