|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Bounder Does Not Start

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
eadeal55

Norfolk VA

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/19 11:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does anyone have an ignition wiring diagram for a 2004 Ford F53 motorhome chassis?

I can get the Bounder to run if I put the ignition to on and cross the lugs at the starter but it will not start turning the key.

I have verified that AGM chassis battery is good (new) ignition switch (new), park/neutral switch (new), starter and starter solenoid (both pulled, cleaned and re-installed) and ignition fuses are all good.

I'm looking for a loose wire, ground or possibly broken ignition interlock. I've looked around the web for a specific 2004 F53 ignition wiring diagram but no joy. I also asked Fleetwood for tech assistance since I am the original owner, but nothing heard back from them.

I know there are some real technical wizards on this site that can tell me just where to check next.

* This post was edited 09/28/19 11:20am by eadeal55 *

Andy & Lee + Molly, the 4 lb Chihuahua
'05 Fleetwood Bounder 33R, F53 w/6.8L V10...towing a
'07 Chevy HHR LT2 w/2.4L EcoTec,
Blue Ox Aventa LX, Brake Buddy Classic
FMCA #F359977 - Colonial Virginians, Past President 2012-14, 2018

rgatijnet1

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/28/19 11:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can't help you with the wiring diagram but I think you need to look at all of the interlocks that you may have. Levelers down? Steps extended? Slide interlock?
Antenna extended? If you can jump across the starter, you should be able to measure with a voltmeter when/if voltage gets to the starter solenoid to energize it and trace that wire back to the ignition switch. Sorry I can't help more I'm just throwing out stuff that may or may not be on your coach.

RLS7201

Beautyful Downtown Gladstone, MO

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/19 02:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is a starter relay between the key and starter solenoid, that is a known failure item. I believe it's close to the right fender well. It has probably failed.

Richard

If I had a dollar for every girl that found me unattractive,
they would eventually, find me attractive.

95 Bounder 32H F53
460/528 stroker
Member, FMCA Technical Advisory Committee
Web Master
MWPSchooners.com

tropical36

Southwest Florida_USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/19 02:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RLS7201 wrote:

There is a starter relay between the key and starter solenoid, that is a known failure item. I believe it's close to the right fender well. It has probably failed.

Richard

My bet, as well and the DP's have an aux. solenoid that's prone to failure as well. Wherever the engine starter, this aux. or relay should be close by and jumping across it, should tell the story.
Reading for voltage at the terminals with and without turning the ignition Sw., will tell you something as well.

"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

eadeal55

Norfolk VA

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/19 05:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gents...thanks for all the replys...

I do have the electric jacks stowed, and slides and steps in. I have started the motorhome before with jacks down and slides out, so I don't believe there are ignition interlocks there.

I have replaced that on frame starter solenoid between the steering column mounted ignition switch and the starter. It is located in the passenger side wheel well. The primary wire was loose on the small post, so I tightened it up, and also cleaned up the two large post wires.

I have not replaced the key switch yet, but that might be my next item. Of course there is still high probability it is a ground somewhere in the ignition circuit. I'm still trying to find a usuable ignition wiring diagram without having to buy a $250 2004 F53 shop manual.

doxiemom11

Somewhere between MI and TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/28/19 06:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes that starter relay by the passenger wheel well failed on our too - replaced.

cavie

Port Charlotte Fl/ Hindsdale MA

View Profile

Posted: 09/29/19 07:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

when you are tired of throwing parts at it. call an auto mechanic.

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

tropical36

Southwest Florida_USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/29/19 08:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

eadeal55 wrote:

Gents...thanks for all the replys...

I do have the electric jacks stowed, and slides and steps in. I have started the motorhome before with jacks down and slides out, so I don't believe there are ignition interlocks there.

I have replaced that on frame starter solenoid between the steering column mounted ignition switch and the starter. It is located in the passenger side wheel well. The primary wire was loose on the small post, so I tightened it up, and also cleaned up the two large post wires.

I have not replaced the key switch yet, but that might be my next item. Of course there is still high probability it is a ground somewhere in the ignition circuit. I'm still trying to find a usuable ignition wiring diagram without having to buy a $250 2004 F53 shop manual.

So, with this, you're saying that there is no voltage on the aux. solenoid coil pos term and assume you're in command of a voltmeter?
That being the case, is there voltage on the ignition sw. term.?
If so, running a new wire from the sw. to the solenoid should do the trick. Try a temporary run for just touching it with 12v for beginners. If that doesn't get it, then possibly the sw. itself isn't making contact, when the key lock is turned.
My old P30 chassis coach, had a steel rod down the side of the steering column, between the key lock and the ign. sw. that required some adjustment.

RLS7201

Beautyful Downtown Gladstone, MO

View Profile

Posted: 09/29/19 11:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Also...........on the left side of your transmission is a neutral safety switch/range sensor, that could have failed.

Richard

eadeal55

Norfolk VA

View Profile

Posted: 09/29/19 02:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RLS7201 wrote:

Also...........on the left side of your transmission is a neutral safety switch/range sensor, that could have failed.

Richard

Thanks Richard...I replaced the transmission mounted park/neutral safety switch back in Jan, and had it fine adjusted in Mar. MH has started since then so unless a new part failed, I'm looking for another culprit.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Bounder Does Not Start
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS