|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Pretty new but need advice

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Juiced2010

Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 09/29/19 04:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Currently getting ready to move and I have a strange question. Looking at purchasing a small 1-2 person travel trailer as they're pretty cheap where I am now. Current one I'm looking at is an 25' 2014 Puma travel trailer my neighbor is selling as he upgraded to a larger one. My strange question is this, can I load some of the stuff I'm moving into the trailer (>1500 lbs probably far less, but haven't load planned yet) and haul it without causing damage to the floor or overloading the trailer? When I tried to see how the underfloor was set up, there really isn't any way to see it due to the way the storage spaces are set up. Probably the only things that are going into it is storage totes with clothes, tv's, computer, some books, and maybe a grill. The real heavy stuff is going in either by mover or being loaded in a 16' utility trailer for the 3-4 day trip. Vehicle that will be pulling it is a 2015 Suburban V8 with towing package. Reason why I'm asking is if we have the TT, then I have less to worry about planning nightly stops, reservations, etc...

cougar28

Lowell,AR USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/29/19 05:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You should be fine with that just don't load it all in one end . Spread out the weight through out the length of the tt. Do you know the model of the tt?

2002 F-250 SD CC 7.3PSD Auto. XLT Short Bed 4X4 Off-Rd.Pkg.Highland Green,Westin Sportsman Grille Guard (Black) RBW Li'l Rocker Slider ,Prodigy Control Towing Jayco Eagle HT 30.5 MLOK,Handy 5er tailgate

stevemorris

ontario

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/29/19 05:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sure you can up to the load capacity of the trailer and the payload capacity of the truck which will include the tongue weight of the trailer
you will run out of payload on the truck first

2017 Ram 1500 4door, 4x4, 5.7 l hemi, 8 speed
2008 KZ Spree 260

Juiced2010

Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 09/29/19 05:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cougar28 wrote:

You should be fine with that just don't load it all in one end . Spread out the weight through out the length of the tt. Do you know the model of the tt?

Not sure which model it is (I wrote down the manufacturer but not the model, stupid me..) and the length. What I had payed more attention to was that it had propane storage, a generator with tank, and enough space that my better half and I didn't trip over each other (that makes for a long trip.) I was thinking of putting most of the items spread out, then stack them up so we could move around at night. In the morning, break it down and spread the weight out again. I just wasn't too sure on how the flooring was built/secured and if it can take the stress of the weight while on the road. I know some of the road we'll have to travel will be bumpy.

I appreciate the quick reply. I've handled rv's in the past, mainly rentals, but using a tt to help move was beyond my experience.

Juiced2010

Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 09/29/19 05:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

stevemorris wrote:

sure you can up to the load capacity of the trailer and the payload capacity of the truck which will include the tongue weight of the trailer

This is where I'm going to share my ignorance as the only things I've really towed are small 16-18' boats. I know I'm going to have to figure out the trailer weight, but how do I estimate tongue weight and capacity weight without overloading. The truck, on paper, is rated for 8300 / 3765 according to the manual. Is there an equation I can use once I find out the empty trailer weight?

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/29/19 06:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you have a place close to weigh the trailer, it is easy to find max load capacity. There will be a sticker on trailer driver side front corner, listing the trailers max load (GVWR). If you weigh it empty, and for example it weighs 5K, and the GVWR is 7K, you could load 2K of additional wt. Now depending how you load, the tongue wt should be 10-15 percent of the 7K, let's say 13 percent, so 910 lbs.

Jerry

wing_zealot

East of the Mississippi

View Profile

Posted: 09/29/19 06:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Juiced2010 wrote:

stevemorris wrote:

This is where I'm going to share my ignorance as the only things I've really towed are small 16-18' boats. I know I'm going to have to figure out the trailer weight, but how do I estimate tongue weight and capacity weight without overloading. The truck, on paper, is rated for 8300 / 3765 according to the manual. Is there an equation I can use once I find out the empty trailer weight?
Clicky

Juiced2010

Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 09/29/19 06:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MFL wrote:

If you have a place close to weigh the trailer, it is easy to find max load capacity. There will be a sticker on trailer driver side front corner, listing the trailers max load (GVWR). If you weigh it empty, and for example it weighs 5K, and the GVWR is 7K, you could load 2K of additional wt. Now depending how you load, the tongue wt should be 10-15 percent of the 7K, let's say 13 percent, so 910 lbs.

Jerry

Understood and ty. Going to have to wait till my neighbor returns tonight to find out more information on the trailer itself.

cavie

Port Charlotte Fl/ Hindsdale MA

View Profile

Posted: 09/29/19 07:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1st thing you need to do is be sure your Suburban is capable of pulling your trailer. Get a load distribution hitch. Be sure your under the GVW of the Suburban. Include all that stuff you intend to load into the trailer including you and your wife and kids and animals.

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

cougar28

Lowell,AR USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/29/19 09:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Also I would find out the last time the wheel bearing has been serviced and the age of the tires.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Pretty new but need advice
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS