|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Experience towing w/ 2WD F250, 2500 or other 3/4 ton

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
Nighduckman

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 09/29/19 08:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My wife and I recently bought a Jayco Eagle HT 24.5 CKTS fifth wheel. After being somewhat taken in by the marketing and our Ford dealer, we bought a beefed-up F150 that, in the end, was overweight on GVR and the rear axle rating. For safety and out of an abundance of caution, after much research, we traded it in for an F250, gas engine, 2WD. We got the 4x2 instead of the 4x4 because it is a much better fit, height-wise, with our fiver and because we are not going to boondock and only camp in prepared campgrounds with decent roads. I understand we will likely get stuck once in a while, but, will have a tow strap and I understand we can usually count on a nice 4x4 owner to tow us out and/or we have GoodSam towing assistance. Again, we are not going to off road or seriously boondock. We won't be driving the rig in snow etc.

Having said all that, I am curious about the real-world experience of any others who have towed with 2WD. We are comfortable with our decision and know there will be tradeoffs over 4x4 like much lower resale and, potentially, getting stuck occasionally. But, all in all, mainly interested in what other 2WD towers have experienced. Thanks in advance.

rjstractor

Maple Valley, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/29/19 09:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is probably one of the most debated topics on this forum. I've towed with both, and all I can say is when you get stuck the first time, you'll wish you had bought the 4x4.

samsontdog

Oregon, Wash Coast summer, Yuma Az winter

View Profile

Posted: 09/29/19 10:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have towed with both, 4x4 and 4x2 for over 60 yrs but mostly with 4x2 since I seldom boondock and try not to go off road. I got stuck twice in all those yrs, once after a heavy rain and I was on grass going uphill towing, another time in sand as I was towing a TT. I will never buy another 4x4 as the 4x2 works for me. As far as lower resale value , I havent found that to be the case as I have always sold my vehicles at high book as I take care of mine

samsontdog">">

Groover

Pulaski, TN

View Profile

Posted: 09/29/19 10:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rjstractor wrote:

This is probably one of the most debated topics on this forum. I've towed with both, and all I can say is when you get stuck the first time, you'll wish you had bought the 4x4.

And at that point ask yourself whether it would be worth $4,000 to have it vs whatever your other options are. And keep in mind that you will always burn more fuel, less weight capacity and have more maintenance with 4wd. One interesting thing is that you get tow hooks with 4wd but not with 2wd. It is as though the factory expects 4wd trucks to get stuck more often.

I would expect that with the lighter weight of the gas engine up front and the weight of the 5th wheel trailer on back you will never get stuck going the places that you describe.

Nighduckman

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 09/29/19 10:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks!

blt2ski

Kirkland, Wa

View Profile

Posted: 09/29/19 10:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If it's got a decent locker in the rear, you will get stuck as often as a 4ad with no locker. 4ad with rear locker is best.
Driven all, pulled with all, all the way up to class 6 rigs.
If generally speaking, as pointed out, in reasonably maintained gravel and hard surface roads, a RWD rig will work just fine.
Marty

92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
00 Chev C2500, V5700, 4L80E, 4.10, base truck, no options!
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Check RV.Net Blogs at: blog.rv.net

LanceRKeys

Amarillo, TX

View Profile

Posted: 09/29/19 11:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You’ll be fine the way it is. Just go out and enjoy your new ride. I pulled a small fifth wheel a lot with my 2500 dodge 2wd, never once had an issue.

danrclem

Ky.

View Profile

Posted: 09/29/19 11:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If I didn't cut firewood and live on a road with a couple big hills I wouldn't have a 4WD. You may never get stuck and even if you do it shouldn't cost that much to get pulled out. Like you say if someone is around they'll probably do it for free.

When I was a kid they very seldom cleaned the snow off of the road and almost nobody had a 4WD. People got stuck but mostly because they slid off of the road and a 4WD can do that.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 09/29/19 01:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We've been towing a 5th wheel with 2WD for about 12 years, and have never felt the need for 4WD. On occasion low reverse would be nice, but not at the expense of all that would go with it. Never been stuck, never been close to being stuck.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

View Profile

Posted: 09/29/19 01:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I remember back in the 80's my family and their friends towed campers from Texas all the way to Toronto Canada and back. Was about 6 trucks/campers and all were 2 wheel drive trucks and not a single incident where anyone wanted 4 wheel drive or needed it.

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs
"Built Ford Proud"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Experience towing w/ 2WD F250, 2500 or other 3/4 ton
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS