|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> Well if you have the money they will build it

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
wolfe10

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 10/02/19 03:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RobertRyan wrote:

wolfe10 wrote:

On our recent two month/7,500 KM driving trip around the east part of Australia (Cape Tribulation to Adelaide) we did see a number of what I would refer to as "great off road RV's" like the MAN-based one here. Many based on Japanese medium duty all wheel drive trucks. I suspect excellent choices for the outback.

BUT (yes, large but) in visiting with several of the owners, they were less than happy with the ride on highways, speed and handling on highways and fuel consumption.

Probably a matter of matching the machine to the desired area of operation.

I did enjoy seeing the occasional (very occasional) Class A diesel pusher with a roo guard in front. A very good idea given the number of kangaroos we saw-- kind of like armadillos and deer on the Texas highways.

Something you need to understand before you get one, you Defintely have to match the machine to the operation you want

YUP. And the worst I have seen is the Germans who come over here with Unimog-based RV's which they then drive mostly on the highway in the U.S. and Mexico. NOT a good match of machine for intended use since 99% of the time we were driving a 36' DP over the same exact roads!

Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

FMCA Forum: www.community.fmca.com/index

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

RobertRyan

Australia

View Profile

Posted: 10/02/19 08:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wolfe10 wrote:

RobertRyan wrote:

wolfe10 wrote:

On our recent two month/7,500 KM driving trip around the east part of Australia (Cape Tribulation to Adelaide) we did see a number of what I would refer to as "great off road RV's" like the MAN-based one here. Many based on Japanese medium duty all wheel drive trucks. I suspect excellent choices for the outback.

BUT (yes, large but) in visiting with several of the owners, they were less than happy with the ride on highways, speed and handling on highways and fuel consumption.

I did enjoy seeing the occasional (very occasional) Class A diesel pusher with a roo guard in front. A very good idea given the number of kangaroos we saw-- kind of like armadillos and deer on the Texas highways.

Something you need to understand before you get one, you Defintely have to match the machine to the operation you want

YUP. And the worst I have seen is the Germans who come over here with Unimog-based RV's which they then drive mostly on the highway in the U.S. and Mexico. NOT a good match of machine for intended use since 99% of the time we were driving a 36' DP over the same exact roads!

I would say they are driving to the condition very different in parts of Latin Anerica

RobertRyan

Australia

View Profile

Posted: 10/02/19 08:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wolfe10 wrote:

RobertRyan wrote:

wolfe10 wrote:

I would say they are driving to the condition very different in parts of Latin Anerica

pnichols

The Other California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/03/19 08:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RobertRyan wrote:

pnichols wrote:

klutchdust wrote:

The Aussies know how to do it right.

Well - so do some Yankees ... but it may take the Yanks $1.5 million US to do it [emoticon] :
https://earthroamer.com/hd/

Very bad choice. Original company went into liquidation. Dick Smith who tried to drive an Earth Roamer on a F550 Chassis had massive problems with tbe F550 and the EarthRoamer. He eventually broke down in Mongolia. Projects was backed by Ford and Earth Roamer, but whole project was a major disaster

FWIW, the Earthroamer in my earlier link is their HD model - not the model that broke down. The HD model is based on the Ford F-750 chassis ... which is a whole different level of toughness than the F-550 chassis. [emoticon]

Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca Spirit 24V

RobertRyan

Australia

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/19 11:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pnichols wrote:

RobertRyan wrote:

pnichols wrote:

klutchdust wrote:

The Aussies know how to do it right.

Well - so do some Yankees ... but it may take the Yanks $1.5 million US to do it [emoticon] :
https://earthroamer.com/hd/

Very bad choice. Original company went into liquidation. Dick Smith who tried to drive an Earth Roamer on a F550 Chassis had massive problems with tbe F550 and the EarthRoamer. He eventually broke down in Mongolia. Projects was backed by Ford and Earth Roamer, but whole project was a major disaster

FWIW, the Earthroamer in my earlier link is their HD model - not the model that broke down. The HD model is based on the Ford F-750 chassis ... which is a whole different level of toughness than the F-550 chassis. [emoticon]

Again the F550 that was used was officially backed by the Ford Company and EarthRoamer and both had severe problems. Getting parts in that part of Asia was a major problem

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> Well if you have the money they will build it
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS