|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Question for those pulling with an F150 Eco Boost

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
humblerb

houston

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/19 02:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Did some checking with Jerry Reynolds "The Car Pro" prior to buying my 2012 F150 Ecoboost.
One thing Jerry told me was the Ecoboost is not a new engine - it was just new in the F150 (back then).
I towed 7200# with mine for 5 years (not a lot of towing miles) but traded in last year for a RAM 2500 and new Fifth Wheel.
Can't speak from long time experience, but Jerry is a big fan of it for towing.
And I never had any towing issues.

Lwiddis

Los Angeles area :(

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/01/19 04:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gee, OP, at least say you are rethinking your previous opinion on the 3.5. I don’t have one but friends do. They are satisfied.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/19 06:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was a displacement kind of guy... don't have nearly the experience with the engine most of the other respondents have, but it's a sweet towing engine

MitchF150

Puyallup, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/19 06:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

82,000 miles on my 13 Eco. No issues at all, (except for the couple of recalls, but all taken care of without issue). You do need to change the plugs more often than the "100,000" in the manual, but they are easy to do and there are only six of them! [emoticon]

Tows my new #7000 TT just fine, but it's different from the old #5000 I used to tow with it.. Getting used to the new trailer and it'll be fine once it's all dialed in.

Mitch

[image]

2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

DutchmenSport

Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/01/19 07:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wing_zealot wrote:

....This thread is just trolling.

Maybe not? OP is a senior member on these forums with over 1000 posts since Jan 2006

Sounds like a fair and honest question to me, regardless of what might have been asked previous.

Personally, I have no experience with the Eco Boost. I'm a Chevy guy. But this much I do know, folks who dive them sure do like them!

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/19 08:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

94K miles on my 2011 without issue. It hasn't blown up yet. Still running the original spark plugs.

2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens, PullRite SuperGlide 2700 15K
2013 KZ Durango 2857

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/19 10:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

humblerb wrote:

Did some checking with Jerry Reynolds "The Car Pro" prior to buying my 2012 F150 Ecoboost. One thing Jerry told me was the Ecoboost is not a new engine - it was just new in the F150 (back then).

It is a very close cousin to the original Taurus SHO 3.5L (code name Cyclone). The base engine dates back even farther and include the 3.7L version that was in F150 between 2011 and 2014.

The current version of the 3.5L (code name D35) was introduced in 2017. The biggest change was adding port fuel injection to the direct injection. Several other internal changes were made including redesigning the water pump.

johndeerefarmer

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/15/19 10:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a '11 ecoboost, a '13 and now a '17. The '17 gets 1-1.5 mpg better than the first gen. This is due to port injection being added and the 10 speed.

Pulling my 26' GD Reflection 22rk I get 9-9.5 mpg driving 63 mph. With my '16 SD and driving closer to 70 I get 10 mpg. Not a lot of difference any more between a diesel and the ecoboost for loads of this weight. If I slowed down with the SD to 63 like with the F150 I would expect maybe 11 mpg

The big difference is the wind. The SD is way more stable in high winds. I took my 32' GD 29rs to Colorado with the SD and would probably never try that with the F150. On the other hand the F150 rides better and gets better fuel economy unloaded in both highway and city

2017 F150 max tow & 2016 F250
GD Reflections 220rk & 29rs

If you like antique tractors visit my blog Antique tractor blog

Thermoguy

Graham, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/18/19 01:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With the ecoboost, is there more maintenance for the twin turbo? I was surprised once sitting in a waiting area where a guy next to me was recommended a turbo maintenance at 30K miles (I think) and it was expensive. What experience to people have with the added maintenance on the ecoboost?

I really wanted to like the F150 diesel, but the towing numbers and payload is dismal. I am looking to replace an explorer as a work vehicle and really like the flexibility with the F150. I have a small goose neck horse trailer that I would pull on occasion but want the added advantage of the gas mileage on the diesel... Just to mention, the weight of the horse trailer is only about 7K lbs with a fairly light tongue weight.

humblerb

houston

View Profile

Posted: 10/22/19 02:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thermoguy wrote:

With the ecoboost, is there more maintenance for the twin turbo? I was surprised once sitting in a waiting area where a guy next to me was recommended a turbo maintenance at 30K miles (I think) and it was expensive. What experience to people have with the added maintenance on the ecoboost?

I really wanted to like the F150 diesel, but the towing numbers and payload is dismal. I am looking to replace an explorer as a work vehicle and really like the flexibility with the F150. I have a small goose neck horse trailer that I would pull on occasion but want the added advantage of the gas mileage on the diesel... Just to mention, the weight of the horse trailer is only about 7K lbs with a fairly light tongue weight.

Again, I had my 2012 until last year.
Never heard of "turbo maintenance".
There is nothing special that needs to be done specifically to the turbos. Maybe some of the routine maintenance schedules were different for the EB, but not specific to the turbos.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Question for those pulling with an F150 Eco Boost
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS